Coring!

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Excel is another one but I like GG.

Too much good experience with it for many years.

Ding ding ding!!! Good job CR!
And there's another one .
I find GG too thick even if some factory swears by them.
GG is the Ford of poly glue. They might be the first, but they're not for everyone or the best.
GG does work for sloppy fit . Expands a lot .
Good for a factory. Wham bam thank you mam! Done. Fleabay it goes.

Last edited:

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
I use Titebond poly glue and am very happy with it. For one, it doesn't harden into a solid mass a week after opening it like GG does.
Dave

Joe Barringer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for your input Joe.
Can I ask you about your prefered core material (laminated or not?) and what diameter(s) you use?

There are a lot of opinions but opinions are like (you know what) and everyone has one including the know-it-alls out west who are experts are posting on this forum and nothing more.

Gorilla glue is the best as we've tried them all and that's what we like as well as our clients. Most successful cue makers use it; the keyword here is successful and not the know-it-alls who profess their experience and lack of knowledge here when they can't sell the cues they make.

We choose to use a full .750 core with a slightly larger thru bore. It works well for us. We do not use laminated material because we don't need to and don't want to use someone else's creation in our builds. Some people swear by them, we don't. It also adds weight. We prefer plain old maple and purpleheart; plain and simple.

If the Gorilla glue is too thick for you, your shop is too cold or the Gorilla glue has started to set up from being exposed to use. Proper temperature and it's a pleasure to work with. Of course you need to have experience building cues and using Gorilla glue to know that.

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
I use Titebond poly glue and am very happy with it. For one, it doesn't harden into a solid mass a week after opening it like GG does.
Dave

Good old crystallization problems. I haven't use Titebond. I prefer another kind.
But, GG works for real sloppy fit dead brand fleabay mops that don't sell.
I know at least two top-tier makers who have quit using GG too.
You can put the bottle in the oven or microwave all you want, it's still too thick for my liking for a .003"-.005" total clearance.
But, if you have an $8 an hour worker in the back pumping cored blanks for no-pride cue assemblers who have no clue how lose-fit the fleabay items ( on "sale" every week ) they get, GG should be all you need.

And the blanket statement using epoxy is not a good idea is really not a good idea b/c it did not work for some genius when he did it HIS way before he fired his makers due to poor sales.

Not everyone uses re-labeled BSI epoxy and not everyone applies epoxy the same way.

Last edited:

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
There are a lot of opinions but opinions are like (you know what) and everyone has one including the know-it-alls out west who are experts are posting on this forum and nothing more.

Gorilla glue is the best as we've tried them all and that's what we like as well as our clients. Most successful cue makers use it; the keyword here is successful and not the know-it-alls who profess their experience and lack of knowledge here when they can't sell the cues they make.

We choose to use a full .750 core with a slightly larger thru bore. It works well for us. We do not use laminated material because we don't need to and don't want to use someone else's creation in our builds. Some people swear by them, we don't. It also adds weight. We prefer plain old maple and purpleheart; plain and simple.

If the Gorilla glue is too thick for you, your shop is too cold or the Gorilla glue has started to set up from being exposed to use. Proper temperature and it's a pleasure to work with. Of course you need to have experience building cues and using Gorilla glue to know that.

A big bottle lasts me 6 months and does not get hard. You have to squeeze most of the air out of the bottle and put the cap on.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member

I saw one of your videos and you used GG for coring.............. I have used it for 5 years in about 125 cues and never had one problem.......... it works great.

Kim

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
A big bottle lasts me 6 months and does not get hard. You have to squeeze most of the air out of the bottle and put the cap on.

Sure.
But, I found one that dries harder, doesn't foam as much , easier to work with and doesn't have GG's storing problems.

Last edited:

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
I *really* think you need to consider guitar builders' knowledge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoHrSXklhe8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6iSvL2McYM

Hide glue :grin-square:

Hi MG,

Hide glue or mucilage has been used by cue makers for hundreds of years and is well known.

For coring this type of glue is not ideal. Guitars are glued and clamped while curing.

Coring requires a round dowel fitting into a gun drilled hole in a round wood blank. You can't clamp it.

As Chris Hightower pointed out, glues that don't have expansion have a tendency to create a void from time to time which makes a cue buzz.

A buzzing or rattling cue does not happen all the time but it is not "if", it is "when" the buzz will happen if thin epoxy is used for example. Expansion glues with the proper fit is the perfect glue for coring and that is the opinion of many modern day cue makers including yours truly.

There are those that will disagree for sure and that is their right to have their own opinion.

Rick

Last edited:

LGSM3

Jake<built cues for fun
Silver Member
I just bought a bunch of something similar to gorilla glue, but it was put in an application where it belongs......in the walls and on the underside of the roof.

BHQ

we'll miss you
Silver Member
I just bought a bunch of something similar to gorilla glue, but it was put in an application where it belongs......in the walls and on the underside of the roof.
LOL
you better send back my cue then
gorilla in the forearm :p

Canadian cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMHO the secret is not in the glue but the prep. I like using epoxy but that is just a preference. If you could build a tapered core then you would have it made. Then the glue wouldn't scrape off your dowel as you pushed it through. Someone needs to build a 12" 0.014 TPI reamer. Press the two tapers together and you could use whatever glue makes you happy.

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
And GG is better than Excel, how?

I like a cue where the hit is quiet.

The GG creates and quite hit with a 3/4" full length dowel.

When I tried the Excel it was noisy.

I don't like noisy cues.

There is a deference.

Rick

Last edited:

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
IMHO the secret is not in the glue but the prep. I like using epoxy but that is just a preference. If you could build a tapered core then you would have it made. Then the glue wouldn't scrape off your dowel as you pushed it through. Someone needs to build a 12" 0.014 TPI reamer. Press the two tapers together and you could use whatever glue makes you happy.

I know a cuemaker who was doing this with a very long boring bar.

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
I like a cue where the hit is quite.

The GG creates and quite hit with a 3/4" full length dowel.

When I tried the Excel it was noisy.

I don't like noisy cues.

There is a deference.

Rick

Quiet you mean.
So, GG muffles the tone.
Ok, then.

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
Uh, oh , rocket science.

Last edited: