Country Calvin Classic - Need Help locating Old School Players

catpool9

"Rack Um"/ Rusty Lock
Silver Member
The tournament Flyer should be posted sometime today, the Two Shot Roll Out/Push Rules for the Country Calvin Classic will be posted soon after.

David Harcrow

Last edited:

catpool9

"Rack Um"/ Rusty Lock
Silver Member
@ catpool9... david... you've got mail... on yahoo... thanks

Hey Cathy , that old Snap Players list for Texas was awesome, if you see mine and Calvin's old friend Ray Garza down there in Texas somewhere, tell him he better get signed up!, first drinks are on me!:cool:

David Harcrow

Attachments

• SNAP AprMay 1990 Texas Players.jpg
    SNAP AprMay 1990 Texas Players.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 509
Last edited:

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
Got to visit with old school players Lanny Herring and Jason "J-bird"Brown tonight in Houston.

There is much anticipation brewing for the shootout in the south 2 week extravaganza the 6,000 added Country Calvin Classic followed by 4 days of action and then the 10,000 added James Barnett "Ironman" Memorial.

What a 2 weeks this will be!!!!!!

Ray

Last edited:

catpool9

"Rack Um"/ Rusty Lock
Silver Member
Country Connection, Ar.

david ask calvin if he played keith bennett
and me at his place.
we went there but not sure if we played him.
looking at the old pic i feel like we have played
but not for sure.
thanks

Hey Chris, I asked Calvin if he rememered you guy's and he said yes, but that he was playing someone at the time and was in action and couldn't play ya'll , because he was playing someone else, and you guy's just just moved on.

David Harcrow

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
david ask calvin if he played keith bennett
and me at his place.
we went there but not sure if we played him.
looking at the old pic i feel like we have played
but not for sure.
thanks

You want on the list Bart?

Two Shot Roll Out Rules for The Country Calvin Classic

1. A player has the option to pushout at anytime during the game, upon a pushout the opponent may take the shot or pass, if the shot is passed back to the shooter and the shooter makes a foul, ( bad hit, no rail after contact, or scratch ) it is ball in hand to the opponent.

2. Scratched balls & jumped balls off the table, shooter plays the shot from behind the headstring (except balls pocketed on the break, they stay down). The only balls spotted are the ball before the 9 , and ball behind the line on a scratch, or a jumped ball.

3. If the breaker scratches and the next numerical ball is behind the headstring line ( in the kitchen ) it is spotted, incoming player may pass or take the shot.

4. All balls are deemed behind the headstring ( or in the kitchen ) by the base of the ball, from headstring line.

5. Ball made before the money ball ( 9-Ball ) on a scratch will be spotted and shot from behind the headstring. (Spot Shot )

6. Any fouled or pushed shot maybe passed or taken by incoming player.

7. Cue Ball Fouls Only, if you move or touch a ball by any means other than the tip of your cuestick , your opponent may move the ball or balls back to original position or leave the remaining layout to the shooter.

8. You may not get up on the table to shoot a shot.

9. A 30 or 45 second shot clock maybe ask for if a player is deemed playing slow by his opponent., up to TD

Put_upor_shutup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This should be a great tourney..6000 added with players that are known for gambling and a pool room owner that keeps his pool hall in action no matter who walks in...Good luck

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
your not old school jay.

Let's see. I started out playing "push out" pool in the 60's. I'm more "old school" than half the guys on that list. No, I never played Calvin, only saw him a time or two, when he was with Mike Massey out in California and maybe in Austin. I have played at least a dozen guys on that list, and beat a few of them. If they came thru Bakersfield in the 70's, I played them!

You wouldn't know Old School if it bit you in the ass. :thumbup:
You're a baby!

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Your right it is Austin,TX., my bad , but I think this is 86, none the less a cool photo!

David Harcrow

David, I brought Louie in here in 1984, during the Villa Capri Classic put on by Sid Mann. He spotted everyone in the joint and we escaped (almost) with over three grand. As we were leaving, Jimmy King drove up and Louie jumped out of my car, went back in and promptly lost his share of the winnings, trying to spot Jimmy. I went back to the room and held onto my dough that night. :wink:

P.S. Richie Ambrose is alive and living in Vegas. His name should be on that list for sure. He played everyone and anyone who wanted to play 9-Ball. What about Bill Mielke, another old road dog? He lives in Phoenix. Also Jr. Harris and Frank "The Barber" Almanza. All old school road men and good players. And "Three Fingered" Ronnie Sypher! By the way, Coy Lee is actually Coy Lee Nicholson and he is up in Colorado. Bill Meacham is another old road man from Colorado. He posts on here frequently. I keep remembering names; Alfie Taylor, Bobby "Cotton" Leblanc.

Last edited:

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
Let's see. I started out playing "push out" pool in the 60's. I'm more "old school" than half the guys on that list. No, I never played Calvin, only saw him a time or two, when he was with Mike Massey out in California and maybe in Austin. I have played at least a dozen guys on that list, and beat a few of them. If they came thru Bakersfield in the 70's, I played them!

You wouldn't know Old School if it bit you in the ass. :thumbup:
You're a baby!

LOL. Im surprised at the number of "Young Schoolers" that want to play in this!

Jay,

You should be at this.

Ray

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
LOL. Im surprised at the number of "Young Schoolers" that want to play in this!

Jay,

You should be at this.

Ray

If the GingerBread Man shows up, JoeyA will be chasing right behind him, just a huffin and a puffin trying to keep up.

catpool9

"Rack Um"/ Rusty Lock
Silver Member
David, I brought Louie in here in 1984, during the Villa Capri Classic put on by Sid Mann. He spotted everyone in the joint and we escaped (almost) with over three grand. As we were leaving, Jimmy King drove up and Louie jumped out of my car, went back in and promptly lost his share of the winnings, trying to spot Jimmy. I went back to the room and held onto my dough that night. :wink:

P.S. Richie Ambrose is alive and living in Vegas. His name should be on that list for sure. He played everyone and anyone who wanted to play 9-Ball. What about Bill Mielke, another old road dog? He lives in Phoenix. Also Jr. Harris and Frank "The Barber" Almanza. All old school road men and good players. And "Three Fingered" Ronnie Sypher! By the way, Coy Lee is actually Coy Lee Nicholson and he is up in Colorado. Bill Meacham is another old road man from Colorado. He posts on here frequently. I keep remembering names; Alfie Taylor, Bobby "Cotton" Leblanc.

You know Jay, just because someone's name isn't on Calvin's list doesn't mean they can't play , most of those names came from my memory, Calvin say's let um all play!

The picture of Calvin in the chair, well that is of Calvin waiting his turn to shoot while playing Richie Ambrose at the State Tournament in Austin.Tx.

All those guy's you mentioned, if they can still talk, walk or bend over a table I hope they show up to this tournament if nothing else to have a wonderful time among friends and tell some stories about the old days.

Most all of Calvin's old playing buddy's are dead , in jail, or stove up with the can't go anymore.

Hope to see you there Jay, you are one of our most favorite old schoolers on the forum and in the pool world.:)

David Harcrow

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
playing a little poker at Harrah's next week

Jay,

There is a WSOP poker event at Harrah's New Orleans next week. Think a total of a few million is available. Could be a fine time to come down and play a little poker and a little pool . . . .

Hu

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jay,

There is a WSOP poker event at Harrah's New Orleans next week. Think a total of a few million is available. Could be a fine time to come down and play a little poker and a little pool . . . .

Hu

I wish! Just got back from a long trip to the Philippines and a short one to Northern Cal. It's good to be home for a while. I do plan to go to the WSOP in June. Thanks buddy