Cowboy Jimmy Moore - Obviously Using Center to Edge

Shark75

Registered
I watched a great match between Cowboy Jimmy Moore and Wimpy Luther Lassiter that was on Classic ESPN the other day. It was very obvious to me how Jimmy was making balls. He cues on the edge of the cue ball and then on the last stroke moves to the center of the ball. For those of you who dont know, he was using an aiming system called Center to Edge. I know that Efren, Bustamante and other top players use it, but Jimmy really makes it obvious. Jimmys high run is 236 and finished second in the world championships multiple times. He ran 100 balls a day after his 80th birthday! Unfortunately this great champion died a while ago. I've been using CTE for a few years now, and it allowed me to greatly improve my game. If anyone out there has seemed to plateau, look for that match, DVR it, watch Jimmy and go to the pool hall and practice. Its great that these past champions can still teach us after they have gone! Thanks for the lesson Jimmy!!

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Cowboy Jimmy Moore's style (slip-stroke)

I watched a great match between Cowboy Jimmy Moore and Wimpy Luther Lassiter that was on Classic ESPN the other day. It was very obvious to me how Jimmy was making balls. He cues on the edge of the cue ball and then on the last stroke moves to the center of the ball. For those of you who dont know, he was using an aiming system called Center to Edge. I know that Efren, Bustamante and other top players use it, but Jimmy really makes it obvious. Jimmys high run is 236 and finished second in the world championships multiple times. He ran 100 balls a day after his 80th birthday! Unfortunately this great champion died a while ago. I've been using CTE for a few years now, and it allowed me to greatly improve my game. If anyone out there has seemed to plateau, look for that match, DVR it, watch Jimmy and go to the pool hall and practice. Its great that these past champions can still teach us after they have gone! Thanks for the lesson Jimmy!!

Shark75:

Some good observations, and yes, Cowboy Jimmy Moore definitely has an obvious pivot when he finally delivers the cue. His is a style worth studying if you're a CTE / pivot-based aiming student, precisely because his pivot is so glaringly obvious.

Another thing to study his style for, is that grand example of slip stroke -- Cowboy Jimmy Moore had the longest slip stroke of anyone I'd ever seen. We're talking slip-to-butt stroke. It's very pretty.

But one correction on your post, though. While Bustamante is a well-known pivot aimer (it's patently obvious), Efren is NOT. Efren is a dyed-in-the-wool "feel" player; probably a mixture of ghostball, cp-to-cp, fractional eclipsing, etc. I recall seeing a video interview a long time ago (it was translated / voiced-over in english from his native Tagalog, when the interviewer asks him how he aims and he answered with "feel"), and then I met him a couple years ago. I asked him, and he acknowledged that he just "sees" and "feels" the shot.

Just FYI,
-Sean

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member

IMHO most of the Aiming, Kicking, and other "SYSTEMS" we talk about today, and buy instructional material on, have been around for years.

IMHO there is not much "NEW", but in the old days nothing was shared, or taught much. Now it has names, and is available that to the generosity of people who share, sell, loan out, trade with others in 2010.

CTE NEW? Maybe not but it is now called CTE, and their is a load of info on it. John Barton spend many hours trying to figure out CTE, and put up a
watch
on how the system works. THANKS JOHN!

Last edited:

Shark75

Registered
I didnt notice Jimmy using a slip stroke...I was too busy watching him pivot. I believe some of the great players including Mosconi used a slip stroke. I just cant seem to consistanty control the cue with it.

Whats great about watching old pool matches is that the game has changed little in 100 years. I must have watched that recording of Jimmy match 20 times already watching how he pivots into the ball. Great knowledge! Unlike golf where the equipment forced a completely different type of swing and playing style within the last decade.

Regarding Efren and CTE. I personally met the guy who taught it to Efren decades ago. If fact...he was the one who taught it to me. Efren flew from the Philipines to meet up with him here in the states. Efren never admits to using it but if you watch him closely you can tell he shoots with CTE. His pivot is very small compared to Jimmy Moore. There are also different ways to pivot that players use to hide the technique. I will sometimes pivot in the air not on the table or pivot ever shot from the left (this is what Bustamante does as well).

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

Regarding Efren and CTE. I personally met the guy who taught it to Efren decades ago.

Who might that be?

Shark75

Registered

Regarding Efren and CTE. I personally met the guy who taught it to Efren decades ago.

Who might that be?
You wouldnt know him. He is very old (almost 90 I think). When he was younger he traveled with Ralph Greenleaf. He told me some amazing stories of the people he played over the years. Most interesting is when he taugh Efren CTE. I had Allen Hopkins run 150 and out on me feeling balls in but he is a phenom! Saying you can feel balls in like Hoppy is like saying you can play golf like Tiger. Most of us mortals can greatly benefit from the CTE aiming method. It adds a great deal of consistancy to your game. I just wish I learned it 17 years ago :)

Shark75

Registered
IMHO most of the Aiming, Kicking, and other "SYSTEMS" we talk about today, and buy instructional material on, have been around for years.

IMHO there is not much "NEW", but in the old days nothing was shared, or taught much. Now it has names, and is available that to the generosity of people who share, sell, loan out, trade with others in 2010.

CTE NEW? Maybe not but it is now called CTE, and their is a load of info on it. John Barton spend many hours trying to figure out CTE, and put up a
watch
on how the system works. THANKS JOHN!
When I was a kid I couldnt get any of the strong players to tell me what they did. The day I met Hal was the day my pool career really began..even though I've playing for about 17 years prior to that day. My little brother introduced me to him. My game is at a completely different level now because I was lucky enough to meet him. Listening to him talk of the old days of pool was fascinating! I could listen to him tell stories for hours on end. The nicest and most generous person I've ever met!

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
When I was a kid I couldnt get any of the strong players to tell me what they did. The day I met Hal was the day my pool career really began..even though I've playing for about 17 years prior to that day. My little brother introduced me to him. My game is at a completely different level now because I was lucky enough to meet him. Listening to him talk of the old days of pool was fascinating! I could listen to him tell stories for hours on end. The nicest and most generous person I've ever met!

Shark75:

You have a grand total of 6 posts (as of this writing). All 6 extolling the virtues of CTE -- five of which can be found in this very thread.

Are you a "plant" of some kind?
-Sean

Shark75

Registered
Shark75:

You have a grand total of 6 posts (as of this writing). All 6 extolling the virtues of CTE -- five of which can be found in this very thread.

Are you a "plant" of some kind?
-Sean
"A plant?" No bud. I just vouch for the system because it changed my game. I could only be called a plant if I were selling something. I will tell you what I know for FREE!

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
Gee. Why am i not surprised.
Shark75.

6 posts in and they are all about CTE. Like you didn't come here with an agenda.

Total bunch of garbage this pumping up and sell CTE to the world at all costs.

I assume that this thread will also become a cesspool for the CTE groupie fest that undoubtedly is about to take place.

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
For the record, I am brand new to AZ Billiards.

LOL. No, odds are that you are someone who wants to pump up CTE with this alias screen name so that with your known screen name, you can somehow profit from it.

Mikjary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gee. Why am i not surprised.
Shark75.

6 posts in and they are all about CTE. Like you didn't come here with an agenda.

Total bunch of garbage this pumping up and sell CTE to the world at all costs.

I assume that this thread will also become a cesspool for the CTE groupie fest that undoubtedly is about to take place.

Sounds like somebody's ready for a nap!:)

catscradle

<< 2 all-time greats
Silver Member
Sorry, he's never met Efren.

LOL. I've enjoyed calls from Hal and suppose have absorbed some of his aiming techniques though I don't think about them when I shoot, but it is clear to me when I have listened to him he is not adverse to embellishing reality.
Steve. <== Likes Hal, but takes his stories with a grain of salt.