Crazy ending in 10 ball: Salvas vs Leblanc 2002

jaywheel

Registered
Cliffs:
-Leblanc leads 9-7 in a race to 11 after making the 10 ball 3 times in a row on the break.
-Leblanc breaks and almost makes the 10 a 4th time in a row but leaves it in the pocket
-Salvas makes the 1 and the 2-10 combo, it's 9-8 and Salvas has the break

Watch the rest if you've never seen it.

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cliffs:
-Leblanc leads 9-7 in a race to 11 after making the 10 ball 3 times in a row on the break.
-Leblanc breaks and almost makes the 10 a 4th time in a row but leaves it in the pocket
-Salvas makes the 1 and the 2-10 combo, it's 9-8 and Salvas has the break

Watch the rest if you've never seen it.

And with a hard rack!!

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
gaston leblanc vacations in the winter in my town
he still plays very sporty

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Magnifique! That's as much excitement from a crowd that I've ever seen in a pool event. The golden break, as I've so often argued, is pool's home run, and the crowd loves golden breaks. Three ten-on-the-breaks in a row is as rare as back-to-back-to back home runs in baseball, but if you're watching the day either happens, you'll probably never forget it, and that's what sports is all about.

It's amusing that some see the need to litigate the golden break out of existence. If any event producer is watching, pay attention. Give the fans what they will enjoy! Ten-ball used to be a better game than it is now.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Magnifique! That's as much excitement from a crowd that I've ever seen in a pool event. The golden break, as I've so often argued, is pool's home run, and the crowd loves golden breaks. Three ten-on-the-breaks in a row is as rare as back-to-back-to back home runs in baseball, but if you're watching the day either happens, you'll probably never forget it, and that's what sports is all about.

It's amusing that some see the need to litigate the golden break out of existence. If any event producer is watching, pay attention. Give the fans what they will enjoy! Ten-ball used to be a better game than it is now.

I don't know if I would consider it like a home run, there is almost never skill involved in making a 9 or 10 on the break, but you are not getting a home run by accident without the skill and power behind the hit. The only skilled 9 ball break is when you play the cueball off the side rail and back into the area the 9 is sitting. Leaving wins off the break in pro pool is like making cars less safe in NASCAR on purpose because the fans love to see crashes. I don't agree with the idea that pool rules should be done for the casual or banger fans in mind, they don't pay attention to pro pool either way. Never have I heard someone say "well I'd love to watch pool on ESPN but only if they allow jump cues" or something.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I don't agree with the idea that pool rules should be done for the casual or banger fans in mind, they don't pay attention to pro pool either way.
It's here where we disagree. You think pro pool is for the entertainment of serious players only. While it's possible you are right, let's hope you are wrong.

Pro pool, as a profession offering a decent living, is on life support unless it finds a way to attract the casual player. Casual players have never seen the money ball not count on the break. Give these fans a game they know or they won't tune in as often. In snooker, tennis, golf, and most other individual sports, the pros play the same game as the amateurs, but they play it at the highest possible level.

Thankfully, Matchroom and a few others are trying to attract a broader base of fans than you seem to believe is attainable.

Thanks for sharing your opinion, but I hope you're wrong and that many causal players will one day pay attention to pro pool.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's here where we disagree. You think pro pool is for the entertainment of serious players only. While it's possible you are right, let's hope you are wrong.

Pro pool, as a profession offering a decent living, is in life support unless it finds a way to attract the casual player. Casual players have never seen the money ball not count on the break. Give these fans a game they know or they won't tune in as often. In snooker, tennis, golf, and most other individual sports, the pros play the same game as the amateurs, but they play it at the highest possible level.

Thankfully, Matchroom and a few others are trying to attract a broader base of fans than you seem to believe is attainable.

Thanks for sharing your opinion, but I hope you're wrong and that causal fans will one day pay attention to pro pool.
I hope you're right but HT9 is pretty spot on just based on my observations. Unless its the real big dogs like SVB, Dennis, Sky, etc. very few players in my area pay any attention to pro pool. The casual/league players around my parts just don't care about pro pool. If you don't actively follow streams or stay up to date here you just don't know its out there. Maybe it will get better.

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope you're right but HT9 is pretty spot on just based on my observations. Unless its the real big dogs like SVB, Dennis, Sky, etc. very few players in my area pay any attention to pro pool. The casual/league players around my parts just don't care about pro pool. If you don't actively follow streams or stay up to date here you just don't know its out there. Maybe it will get better.
There has to be something that those casual fans that do not follow pro pool now like and enjoy. If what they are being presented with is boring, they will tune out. The casual fans always outnumber the die hard fans in anything. They should be who we are targeting.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
The casual/league players around my parts just don't care about pro pool.
No other level of player cares much about pro pool or watching pro pool either, even most top players and even pros. Take a look around the next big regional event. Even the players themselves don't really watch matches, even when they have tons of time to kill, and they will be doing anything else but watching matches, and once they are out they don't stick around to watch either. Same at pro events for the most part. Watching pool just is not the least bit interesting to the vast majority of any level pool players.

forabeer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
10 ball darting towards the corner pocket every time? Tells me the rack of balls was not settling exactly where they were supposed to. I can't get excited over the video because of that.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
10 ball darting towards the corner pocket every time? Tells me the rack of balls was not settling exactly where they were supposed to. I can't get excited over the video because of that.

yea i remember a seminole 10-ball event where rodney got the 10-ball to or near the pocket almost every break. they allowed pattern racking too so naturally he put the 2-ball low to dolly up an early combo. the opponent did the same.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Pro pool, as a profession offering a decent living, is on life support unless it finds a way to attract the casual player. Casual players have never seen the money ball not count on the break. Give these fans a game they know or they won't tune in as often. In snooker, tennis, golf, and most other individual sports, the pros play the same game as the amateurs, but they play it at the highest possible level.

Thanks for sharing your opinion, but I hope you're wrong and that many causal players will one day pay attention to pro pool.

Well let's say we get 1,000,000 new pool viewers on a stream. Do you think any of them will stop watching or get so confused as to switch to something else because a player jumped with a full cue or spotted the 9 or 10 after the break? I don't think so. It's not changing colors of the balls, it's not making new jet powered pogo cues, making short race to 5 matches, adding 30 min periods to games, that all have been tried without any success. What will work is that popular personalities (from outside of pool) playing and doing things around pool, nice looking girls playing (sure it's sexists but truth is truth), fun YouTube folks like Florian, Rollie Williams, Dude Perfect, etc... No one that is not already a fan is going to watch a pool match because Efren is playing Earl or because the one ball is now orange colored with sparkles. What they will watch is if they click to ESPN and there is a pretty girl in a tight black skirt playing, because of the "holy cow it's a girl playing pool, who new... and maybe I'll see some cleavage" factor that non-players have in their minds.