CTE aiming.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Your glass has always been half-empty hasn't it. :(

You do realize that you are knocking people who work hard to make a living by creating and selling pool related items. :scratchhead:

Lucky Joe

Think you missed the point. Jay Helfert when he was reporting on his recent trip to PI mention all the GREAT YOUNG PLAYERS in PI. The country is very poor, these people are very poor for the most part, and just seem to produce so great player with not much to work with. Like the Baseball layer who come from the Caribbean with a similar circumstance. So people just seem to do it with out. What is there secret? My post KNOCKED NOTHING, it ask a question!

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Think you missed the point. Jay Helfert when he was reporting on his recent trip to PI mention all the GREAT YOUNG PLAYERS in PI. The country is very poor, these people are very poor for the most part, and just seem to produce so great player with not much to work with. Like the Baseball layer who come from the Caribbean with a similar circumstance. So people just seem to do it with out. What is there secret? My post KNOCKED NOTHING, it ask a question!

No point missed. Awww, what I am doing replying to this? :banghead::banghead:

Lucky Joe

Roger Long

Sonoran Cue Creations
Silver Member

Cowboy,

It's already been explained in this thread that the Philippine players use CTE aiming and that's why they're so good. It was also said that CTE was taught to them directly by Hal Houle (originator of the system) which means there were probably no dvd's or instructional books involved.

Does that answer your question?

Roger

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's already been explained in this thread that the Philippine players use CTE aiming and that's why they're so good. It was also said that CTE was taught to them directly by Hal Houle (originator of the system)
Roger,

I don't mean any disrespect, but do you think this is actually true? I wonder how many of the top Filipino players would agree with this statement.

I believe most of the top Filipino players use DAM; although, I bet most of them just learned it on their own (and not from me). Can you prove me wrong? The proof is in the pudding ... don't you see how well they play ... they must be using DAM. I hope all of the players deny it if you ask them if they use DAM, because I don't want the secret to get out. :wink:

Regards,
Dave

12310bch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
good question ,though

Your glass has always been half-empty hasn't it. :(

You do realize that you are knocking people who work hard to make a living by creating and selling pool related items. :scratchhead:

Lucky Joe

Nice shooting in Lafayette, JoeyA.

But the Cowboy has a good question. I don't normally agree with his negative approach but these aiming argument threads that go on and on endlessly, fruitlessly, redundantly, and a lot of other ...ly's that I can't think of are, well, endless, fruitless, and redundant! Oh, and silly. If an instructor specializes in teaching an aiming system person to person and is successful more power to him. But these aiming threads do not promote the systems but do the opposite.
( IMNSHO)

I personally shake my head at the intellectual masturbation that goes on.
If it works for somebody, it works. You cannot prove which is best or even how it works, on paper, to a player.

Additionally. I don't feel that Cowboy was knocking the pool accessory
market ( because I know he uses this stuff himself) but pondering how the hell the pinos produce do many world class players without all these
benefits.

I mean no disrespect, but it appears that you were putting words in the Cowboy's mouth. He takes enough of a beating with his own words without our help.

Last edited:

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Roger,

I don't mean any disrespect, but do you think this is actually true? I wonder how many of the top Filipino players would agree with this statement.

I believe most of the top Filipino players use DAM; although, I bet most of them just learned it on their own (and not from me). Can you prove me wrong? The proof is in the pudding ... don't you see how well they play ... they must be using DAM. I hope all of the players deny it if you ask them if they use DAM, because I don't want the secret to get out. :wink:

Regards,
Dave

You are shameless in your self promotion. You have been taking lessons from someone. Do you think you can convince someone by just repeating yourself over and over?

I'm still looking at your "secrets" in the Safety Play and Strategy DVD's of Video Encyclopedia of Pool Shots.

JoeyA

Rich93

A Small Time Charlie
Silver Member
Roger,

Regards,
Dave

Roger was being facetious.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
You are shameless in your self promotion.
I assume you are joking; but others might not know that you are. For their information, DAM is mostly an allegory (joke) about some of the "aiming system" claims that we often hear and read.

You have been taking lessons from someone.
I "take lessons" from anybody who has something interesting or useful to teach, even if they play better or worse than me. I even learn some things from all of these CTE debates ... although, very little about pool. :grin:

Do you think you can convince someone by just repeating yourself over and over?
Yes.

How dare you let people know about these secrets! :eek:

I hope the Filipino players aren't reading this. They already have enough of an advantage without knowing about VEPS! You are so irresponsible! :angry:

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Roger Long said:
It's already been explained in this thread that the Philippine players use CTE aiming and that's why they're so good. It was also said that CTE was taught to them directly by Hal Houle (originator of the system)
Roger,

Regards,
Dave

Roger was being facetious.
Sorry. I don't know Roger well enough to know this. I couldn't be sure because I've actually heard and read statements similar to this from other excellent instructors.

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was honestly hoping this post (see below) would lead to some useful discussion and information, but I guess I was being unrealistically dreamy. :sorry:

Still hoping for more "clarity,"
Dave

previous post from dr_dave:

Are you saying it doesn't matter how much you need to cut the ball? :eek:

Here's one of the diagrams from my November '08 article:

aim_parallel_shift.jpg

The CB-to-OB distance and alignment are the exact same for every shot in this diagram, and for every possible shot between all of these shots. Yet, the pocket is in a different position (relative to the balls) for each shot. How can the pocket location, and the necessary amount of cut, not matter? :confused:

If you line up and pivot the exact same way on all of these shots, most of them will miss the pocket. Even shot "D," which is very close to shot "A," won't go if you use the same alignment and pivot as with shot "A!" (BTW, for shot "D" assume the CB is the still the same distance away from the OB as in shot "A").

I know we have looked at this diagram, or diagrams like it, in many past debates, and we got nowhere. I honestly hope this time might be different.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
But the Cowboy has a good question. I don't normally agree with his negative approach but these aiming argument threads that go on and on endlessly, fruitlessly, redundantly, and a lot of other ...ly's that I can't think of are, well, endless, fruitless, and redundant! Oh, and silly. If an instructor specializes in teaching an aiming system person to person and is successful more power to him. But these aiming threads do not promote the systems but do the opposite.
( IMNSHO)

I personally shake my head at the intellectual masturbation that goes on.
If it works for somebody, it works. You cannot prove which is best or even how it works, on paper, to a player.

Additionally. I don't feel that Cowboy was knocking the pool accessory
market ( because I know he uses this stuff himself) but pondering how the hell the pinos produce do many world class players without all these
benefits.

I mean no disrespect, but it appears that you were putting words in the Cowboy's mouth. He takes enough of a beating with his own words without our help.

Think the secret of the great Filipino players is that they are in the pool rooms as many hours a day as they can afford, hitting balls, figuring out what work, and what don't work. That is all they do play pool, work, and sleep!

Most Filipinos I am sure don't have the internet, or a computer, and all the thing that many Americans spend far too much time playing with.

Hell every Tuesday Night I think about going out to this little bar down the road and playing in a tourney, and then I remember its NCIS, and NCIS LA on TV that night, than Wednesday comes, and I stay home to watch Criminal Minds on TV again.

I choose my favorite TV Shows, and forget Pool Tourneys like I have been doing for the last 11 months. Maybe when the Summer come, and NCIS, NCIS LA, and Criminal Minds are not on TV, ill think about Pool in the after dark hours again.:)

12310bch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I must take matters into my own hands. I categorically forbid
anybody from posting anymore posts on this thread.
So there!

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I must take matters into my own hands. I categorically forbid
anybody from posting anymore posts on this thread.
So there!
So far, so good ... nobody has posted a reply since your post.

Woops ... does this count as a post? Darn! :sorry: :grin-square:

Regards,
Dave

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
So far, so good ... nobody has posted a reply since your post.

Woops ... does this count as a post? Darn! :sorry: :grin-square:

Regards,
Dave

You have all the information you need to solve this problem. Let's see if you can figure it out.

You remind me of some guy in the 1400's arguing that the world is flat. He paints 4 paintings: one looking to the east, one looking to the west, one looking to the south and one looking to the north.

"Yup - all of the horizons are flat. Until we can get past this point in our discussion - the world is flat."

You're making a lot of incorrect assumptions in this diagram based on what you already know about CTE. C'mon Dave, try harder. You're disappointing me. Read your own page, this thread from the beginning and then experiment on the table. Do this and report back.

The answer is RIGHT in front of your nose.

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
You have all the information you need to solve this problem. Let's see if you can figure it out.
C'mon Dave, try harder. You're disappointing me. Read your own page, this thread from the beginning and then experiment on the table. Do this and report back. ...
I re-read the entire CTE resource page and this thread this morning, and I just tried everything again at my table, keeping your diagram particularly in mind. Here's my report, which is interestingly the same as when I first learned about CTE years ago:
the magic is in the pivot.​

I still hope you will explain how you don't need to know where the pocket is or how much you need to cut the OB when you are deciding on an alignment and doing your pivot. For convenience, I've repeated the pertinent questions again below.

Regards,
Dave

from previous post:

Are you saying it doesn't matter how much you need to cut the ball? :eek:

Here's one of the diagrams from my November '08 article:

aim_parallel_shift.jpg

The CB-to-OB distance and alignment are the exact same for every shot in this diagram, and for every possible shot between all of these shots. Yet, the pocket is in a different position (relative to the balls) for each shot. How can the pocket location, and the necessary amount of cut, not matter? :confused:

If you line up and pivot the exact same way on all of these shots, most of them will miss the pocket. Even shot "D," which is very close to shot "A," won't go if you use the same alignment and pivot as with shot "A!" (BTW, for shot "D" assume the CB is the still the same distance away from the OB as in shot "A").

I know we have looked at this diagram, or diagrams like it, in many past debates, and we got nowhere. I honestly hope this time might be different.