CTE automatically corrects stroke issues

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
If you aim and execute correctly and do exactly as you've chosen to do but have misunderstood the physics of the shot you can miss.

Lou Figueroa
Aren't the physics of the shot part of the aiming? If you misunderstood the physics then you aimed incorrectly. Dance around this all you want to but you wanted to wrap all of this into one "takes many years of hard work pre-shot routine" and when you're criticized for missing easy shots then suddenly you want to break out the parts, aiming, execution, "proper understanding of physics".....

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you trying to say that there was something you can't account for in the PSR-execution process? Other than an influence on the object ball which is unknown there shouldn't be a miss if you aimed "perfectly", i.e. you have already taken all of the variables into account and chosen the PERFECT shot line, a ball struck "perfectly" should perfectly contact the object ball and send it perfectly along the pocket line.

You can't account for what you don't understand.

Or understand incorrectly.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Aren't the physics of the shot part of the aiming? If you misunderstood the physics then you aimed incorrectly. Dance around this all you want to but you wanted to wrap all of this into one "takes many years of hard work pre-shot routine" and when you're criticized for missing easy shots then suddenly you want to break out the parts, aiming, execution, "proper understanding of physics".....

Yes, but sometimes the physics are not understood by the player.

Today I was playing 1pocket with a buddy who hit a dead combo exactly the way he wanted and missed. Afterwards I showed him how to make the dead and near-dead ones. He was stunned to learn he'd been doing it wrong for many years.

Lou Figueroa

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Today I was playing 1pocket with a buddy who hit a dead combo exactly the way he wanted and missed. Afterwards I showed him how to make the dead and near-dead ones. He was stunned to learn he'd been doing it wrong for many years.

Lou Figueroa
That's the sort of thing some people call "secrets". Of course Willie Mosconi spilled the beans about 70 years ago and I learned about combos from him about 60 years ago. It's good for some of us that few pool players read.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's the sort of thing some people call "secrets". Of course Willie Mosconi spilled the beans about 70 years ago and I learned about combos from him about 60 years ago. It's good for some of us that few pool players read.

lol, yes, this is true, Bob.

I usually don't take people I play to combo school, but I like this guy so I shared. I also shared some advanced stuff I learned from Dallas West not included in Mosconi's book.

Lou Figueroa

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa
So your buddy aimed wrong. You're playing semantics at this point. Knowledge of the physics is also called pool sense. It is something you address and account for in the aiming part of the pre-shot routine. And once you took the time to show him the right way to aim that shot he should remember the objective physic motions which govern the aim on all similar shots.

Anyway, I had a nice weekend in Fremont at California Billiards, got to spend some time messing with CTE with an AZB member, got to talk about it a little on-stream. Seems that there are a lot of people around the Bay Area who knew Hal.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
You can't account for what you don't understand.

Or understand incorrectly.

Lou Figueroa
Yes, agreed and that is called ignorance. So if the goal is to pocket the ball and the shooter does not pocket the ball though some fault of their own then they cannot be said to have aimed and executed the shot perfectly. When you give the example of "doing exactly what the shooter planned to do but the shooter didn't understand the physics" I am reminded of when someone misses a shot but gets exactly the shape they had wanted and they say well I got shape! They don't understand that had they made the ball then they likely would not have ended up with their perfect shape.

I contend that by learning a good aiming system that works for banks the player can learn the physics of the shot more easily and retain it more deeply than player who play by feel and rote memorization.

8pack

They call me 2 county !
Silver Member
Yes, agreed and that is called ignorance. So if the goal is to pocket the ball and the shooter does not pocket the ball though some fault of their own then they cannot be said to have aimed and executed the shot perfectly. When you give the example of "doing exactly what the shooter planned to do but the shooter didn't understand the physics" I am reminded of when someone misses a shot but gets exactly the shape they had wanted and they say well I got shape! They don't understand that had they made the ball then they likely would not have ended up with their perfect shape.

I contend that by learning a good aiming system that works for banks the player can learn the physics of the shot more easily and retain it more deeply than player who play by feel and rote memorization.
I don't think it's possible to control the collision of two balls perfectly.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
I don't think it's possible to control the collision of two balls perfectly.
Wise words- as soon the conditions/circumstances change, variables which have effect also change- so it s not "really" possible to control everything. To many variables to be able to control everything. Finally also a "robot" with a perfect stroke would miss at some point.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So your buddy aimed wrong. You're playing semantics at this point. Knowledge of the physics is also called pool sense. It is something you address and account for in the aiming part of the pre-shot routine. And once you took the time to show him the right way to aim that shot he should remember the objective physic motions which govern the aim on all similar shots.

Anyway, I had a nice weekend in Fremont at California Billiards, got to spend some time messing with CTE with an AZB member, got to talk about it a little on-stream. Seems that there are a lot of people around the Bay Area who knew Hal.

If you cannot make the leap, you cannot make the leap -- frankly, I'm not surprised.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I don't care what you contend -- you are obviously incapable of understanding something very simple and basic.

As an added benefit: in part because of this, you will always suck : -)

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wise words- as soon the conditions/circumstances change, variables which have effect also change- so it s not "really" possible to control everything. To many variables to be able to control everything. Finally also a "robot" with a perfect stroke would miss at some point.

ah, someone else gets it.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very true. I know my combo ability in 8B and 9B had dramatically improved after playing equal offense (14:1 variant) and especially 1P. After a week or two of hardcore 1P play, 8B is like shooting fish in a barrel and combos are suddenly not so low percentage shots.

Someone else.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This post illustrates why instructing players is so difficult. The subtleties of executing shots and positions can't really be appreciated until one reaches a certain level of knowledge and competence. Knowledge about the physics of the game is readily available (Dr Dave, etc,etc) but the actual application of it is quite a bit more complicated. You can say to hit a particular shot with bottom right and in theory you're correct but that doesn't impart the knowledge that that only tells a small portion of the factors involved to properly execute in a given situation.

More intelligent life on this forum!

Lou Figueroa

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
ah, someone else gets it.

Lou Figueroa
i m pretty sure, that a very big amount of "silent readers" have the necessary knowledge. The most just keep nowadays away from posting or responding themselves because of "some stupid cyber wars".
I kept myself also away for a longer time. It s anyway hard to understand ( ofc just for me :) ) that people with the same interest, love or call it passion starting to use every single chance to tear someone down.
Sad but true.

A smooth stroke to everyone :)

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
i m pretty sure, that a very big amount of "silent readers" have the necessary knowledge. The most just keep nowadays away from posting or responding themselves because of "some stupid cyber wars".
I kept myself also away for a longer time. It s anyway hard to understand ( ofc just for me :) ) that people with the same interest, love or call it passion starting to use every single chance to tear someone down.
Sad but true.

A smooth stroke to everyone :)
Wait, there are more than 3 shots in pool ?