CTE Question

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Can you post or define any of these so called certain shots. And what kind of refining they need.

I'm sure I could find Stan himself saying something about not always using a 1/2 tip pivot. I think he said Hal talked about using a 1/4 tip pivot on some shots. Stan even has a video where he talks about micro-pivots. There are enough examples in his YouTube lessons, and also in the DVD I had years ago, to prove these neccessary refinements exist. I don't have to waste my time posting or defining certain shots. I'll browse through Stan's YouTube channel later and post examples of what I'm talking about.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sure I could find Stan himself saying something about not always using a 1/2 tip pivot. I think he said Hal talked about using a 1/4 tip pivot on some shots. Stan even has a video where he talks about micro-pivots. There are enough examples in his YouTube lessons, and also in the DVD I had years ago, to prove these neccessary refinements exist. I don't have to waste my time posting or defining certain shots. I'll browse through Stan's YouTube channel later and post examples of what I'm talking about.

Why Stan? You said you worked with it enough to figure it all out. Just post the shot you wrote about

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Why Stan? You said you worked with it enough to figure it all out. Just post the shot you wrote about

Because I want you and every reader here to see and hear it from Stan. That leaves no doubt that I know what I'm talking about.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Because I want you and every reader here to see and hear it from Stan. That leaves no doubt that I know what I'm talking about.

But you are the one who said you came across several shots, what are they ?

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
But you are the one who said you came across several shots, what are they ?

Shots that are about a 7/8 cut need a 15 perception with a smaller pivot than half tip. Another way to make it work is to use a half tip pivot with a very long bridge to create a smaller angle than a normal half tip pivot with a normal bridge length. What Stan does here, https://youtu.be/hCnki7a9cH4?t=115s, is a smaller offset pivot to make it work. He doesn't explain why, but it's because the half tip outside pivot would send the ball straight into the rail next to the point, so he uses a smaller pivot (about a quarter tip) in order to shoot the ball just a touch thicker than perceived. On another shot, similar to this near straight in, he uses outside spin to throw the ball in instead of a full half tip pivot that would cause the ball to miss the pocket.

There are also angles where the perception looks dead to send the ob to the pocket without needing thinned or thickened. In other words, shooting straight through the fixed cb, directly along the perception line, would pocket the ob without needing an offset pivot. Stan did a great video (https://youtu.be/Lrs0aWd9TD4?t=58s) showing the difference between a one line 3/4 fractional aim and a two line 15° CTE perception. He shoots straight through the fixed ccb as perceived by the two visuals (no offset pivot). He does this to show that a 15° perception revealed by two lines is not the same as a 3/4 fractional aim revealed by one line.

What I found more enlightening is that if he had kept incrementally moving the cb an inch or so to the left, repeating the two line 15° perception each time shooting straight through the fixed cb like he shows, eventually he'd have reached an angle where the perception pockets the ball clean, negating the need to thin or thicken the shot up with any pivot.

Last edited:

Mirza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shots that are about a 7/8 cut need a 15 perception with a smaller pivot than half tip. Another way to make it work is to use a half tip pivot with a very long bridge to create a smaller angle than a normal half tip pivot with a normal bridge length. What Stan does here, https://youtu.be/hCnki7a9cH4?t=115s, is a smaller offset pivot to make it work. He doesn't explain why, but it's because the half tip outside pivot would send the ball straight into the rail next to the point, so he uses a smaller pivot (about a quarter tip) in order to shoot the ball just a touch thicker than perceived. On another shot, similar to this near straight in, he uses outside spin to throw the ball in instead of a full half tip pivot that would cause the ball to miss the pocket.

There are also angles where the perception looks dead to send the ob to the pocket without needing thinned or thickened. In other words, shooting straight through the fixed cb, directly along the perception line, would pocket the ob without needing an offset pivot. Stan did a great video (https://youtu.be/Lrs0aWd9TD4?t=58s) showing the difference between a one line 3/4 fractional aim and a two line 15° CTE perception. He shoots straight through the fixed ccb as perceived by the two visuals (no offset pivot). He does this to show that a 15° perception revealed by two lines is not the same as a 3/4 fractional aim revealed by one line.

What I found more enlightening is that if he had kept incrementally moving the cb an inch or so to the left, repeating the two line 15° perception each time shooting straight through the fixed cb like he shows, eventually he'd have reached an angle where the perception pockets the ball clean, negating the need to thin or thicken the shot up with any pivot.

You got it all wrong...all shots can be made with exactly half a tip mechanical pivot, and Stan says that on the video, that shot you're talking about doesn't need a smaller pivot.

Stan was talking here about the possibility of using a smaller pivot IF YOU START SWEEPING WHEN YOU BEGIN TO BEND DOWN INSTEAD OF COMING STRAIGHT DOWN TO CCB (remember the sweep support video? - get down as straight as you possibly can?), if you start sweeping and stop with it half way and put your cue to the side of CCB your pivot NEEDS to be smaller since you didn't go straight down, you sweeped with your vision which means it went away from fixed CCB line but you didn't finish it to the final aimline since the need for small pivot, it has nothing to do with this actual shot.

Last edited:

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
You got it all wrong...all shots can be made with exactly half a tip mechanical pivot, and Stan says that on the video, that shot you're talking about doesn't need a smaller pivot.

Stan was talking here about the possibility of using a smaller pivot IF YOU START SWEEPING WHEN YOU BEGIN TO BEND DOWN INSTEAD OF COMING STRAIGHT DOWN TO CCB (remember the sweep support video? - get down as straight as you possibly can?), if you start sweeping and stop with it half way and put your cue to the side of CCB your pivot NEEDS to be smaller since you didn't go straight down, you sweeped with your vision which means it went away from fixed CCB line but you didn't finish it to the final aimline since the need for small pivot, it has nothing to do with this actual shot.

I'm not going argue over what is quite obvious in the video. Stan says he is doing a manual pivot, not a sweep. He says Hal told him there are smaller pivots, like a quarter tip. Anyone that watches the video can see and hear this. Later on, yes, he goes back to the standard talking points of using a half tip pivot for all shots, but it's simply not what he does here and in other shots. If it were that cut and dry it work right out of the box once you figure out the perceptions, but instead it takes practice practice practice....to learn when an exact half tip manual pivot won't work.

I'm not downing the system. I'm just pointing out what I have to do to make it work, which matches exactly what Stan does in his videos. Wait for the truth series and the book, and I'm sure it'll all be there.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Wait for the truth series and the book, and I'm sure it'll all be there.

HOW ABOUT YOU AND THE REST OF THE PANZER DIVISION TAKING YOUR ADVICE ABOUT THE BOOK AND TRUTH SERIES!

JESUS CHRIST, THIS IS ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING ALREADY. DAY IN, DAY OUT, DAY IN, DAY OUT. GIVE IT A GOD*AMN REST. WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU. (plural)

PUT YOUR ENERGY INTO SOMETHING POSITIVE WITH YOUR WIFE AND FAMILY SINCE HER TROUBLES STARTED. I HOPE IT GETS BETTER BUT THIS DOESN'T HELP OR DO ANYTHING POSITIVE.

THIS CRAP IS SICKENING FOR ALL OF US.

THE BEST THING MIKE HOWERTON AND WILSON COULD DO IS DROP AN ATOMIC BOMB ON THIS AIMING FORUM AND VAPORIZE IT NEVER TO COME BACK AGAIN!

Last edited:

Mirza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not going argue over what is quite obvious in the video. Stan says he is doing a manual pivot, not a sweep. He says Hal told him there are smaller pivots, like a quarter tip. Anyone that watches the video can see and hear this. Later on, yes, he goes back to the standard talking points of using a half tip pivot for all shots, but it's simply not what he does here and in other shots. If it were that cut and dry it work right out of the box once you figure out the perceptions, but instead it takes practice practice practice....to learn when an exact half tip manual pivot won't work.

I'm not downing the system. I'm just pointing out what I have to do to make it work, which matches exactly what Stan does in his videos. Wait for the truth series and the book, and I'm sure it'll all be there.

What is wrong with you man?!? What are you trying to do here?!?

Here, I marked it for you: https://youtu.be/hCnki7a9cH4?t=3m28s

AND THIS TIME - LISTEN!

Stan: "So, what happens, is that I START A VISUAL SWEEP BUT AS MY EYES, AS I VISUALLY MOVE CLOSER TO CCB I'M NOT A HALF A TIP AWAY FROM CCB ANY MORE, SO AS I'M ON THAT MOVEMENT I'M GETTING CLOSER AND CLOSER TO ZERO PIVOT" (because he STARTED VISUALLY SWEEPING AND NOT STRAIGHT DOWN TO CCB!!!!!!!)

Later he says that if he starts visually sweeping but he decides midway he wants to manually pivot then the pivot will and must be smaller than half a tip.

PLEASE don't comment CTE any more, isn't it too obvious now what you are trying to do?

P.S. I ain't gonna transcript any more videos for you.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
HOW ABOUT YOU AND THE REST OF THE PANZER DIVISION TAKING YOUR ADVICE ABOUT THE BOOK AND TRUTH SERIES!

JESUS CHRIST, THIS IS ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING ALREADY. DAY IN, DAY OUT, DAY IN, DAY OUT. GIVE IT A GOD*AMN REST. WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU. (plural)

PUT YOUR ENERGY INTO SOMETHING POSITIVE WITH YOUR WIFE AND FAMILY SINCE HER TROUBLES STARTED. I HOPE IT GETS BETTER BUT THIS DOESN'T HELP OR DO ANYTHING POSITIVE.

THIS CRAP IS SICKENING FOR ALL OF US.

THE BEST THING MIKE HOWERTON AND WILSON COULD DO IS DROP AN ATOMIC BOMB ON THIS AIMING FORUM AND VAPORIZE IT NEVER TO COME BACK AGAIN!

If Wilson comes in to drop a bomb it'll be because of your ALL CAPS needless rant.

Having some beginner experience with CTE, I contributed positively to the op, sacman. Then Vorpal Cue and Cookie ask questions about my CTE experiencd, so I replied appropriately, peacefully, and honestly. I even posted links to show Stan doing exactly what I was talking about, which is how I learned it. I posted the links to avoid the ridiculous flaming accusations that I am misrepresenting what Stan does, yet the flames flared up anyway.

I'm not getting into it with people that act that way. The videos show exactly what I was referring to, answering cookie and vorpal, and there's no need to get ugly and defensive.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
If Wilson comes in to drop a bomb it'll be because of your ALL CAPS needless rant.

Having some beginner experience with CTE, I contributed positively to the op, sacman. Then Vorpal Cue and Cookie ask questions about my CTE experiencd, so I replied appropriately, peacefully, and honestly. I even posted links to show Stan doing exactly what I was talking about, which is how I learned it. I posted the links to avoid the ridiculous flaming accusations that I am misrepresenting what Stan does, yet the flames flared up anyway.

I'm not getting into it with people that act that way. The videos show exactly what I was referring to, answering cookie and vorpal, and there's no need to get ugly and defensive.

I didn't think anyone could exceed the time on this forum and incredible number of posts done by ENGLISH! But, you have and are the worst.

Bye-Bye from me to this insanity. Get your life and mind together Brian. Do something useful.

I'm taking my own advice with this road to nowhere.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe being poor is just meant to be for this old guy.

-------------------

Last edited:

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The videos show that you hear what you want to hear. Mizra is 100% correct in what he is saying. You aren't listening properly and are embarrassing yourself at this point.
By the way. I asked about what shots you personally can't make with CTE. Post them up, maybe we can help you out. Unless of course all your opinions have been formed from the keyboard and you really don't know which shots.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
The videos show that you hear what you want to hear. Mizra is 100% correct in what he is saying. You aren't listening properly and are embarrassing yourself at this point.
By the way. I asked about what shots you personally can't make with CTE. Post them up, maybe we can help you out. Unless of course all your opinions have been formed from the keyboard and you really don't know which shots.

Yes, Stan goes on to explain that while sweeping he ends up stopping his cue short of a full half tip pivot, making more of a 1/4 tip pivot, and possibly no pivot at all. He does this by visualizing exactly where his cue and bridge V should be in order to hit ccb from a half tip offset to the perception.

Then he explains that Hal referred to very small pivots on occasion. But Hal did not use sweeps -- that is Stan's addition to Hal's work, which is a pretty cool way of not having to do mechanical pivots. So when I heard Stan say Hal talked about smaller pivots, I took it to the table and tried some things. I'll try to make time to record some of the shots that I have to make work. I'm sure it's the same shots that every user had trouble with that finally started working after a few weeks or months of doing it.

Listening to Stan isn't as effective as watching when it comes to learning what he is doing. My advice to the op is to watch what Stan does and try to imitate it. You'll learn much more like that vs getting stuck in the loop of talking points.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, Stan goes on to explain that while sweeping he ends up stopping his cue short of a full half tip pivot, making more of a 1/4 tip pivot, and possibly no pivot at all. He does this by visualizing exactly where his cue and bridge V should be in order to hit ccb from a half tip offset to the perception.

Then he explains that Hal referred to very small pivots on occasion. But Hal did not use sweeps -- that is Stan's addition to Hal's work, which is a pretty cool way of not having to do mechanical pivots. So when I heard Stan say Hal talked about smaller pivots, I took it to the table and tried some things. I'll try to make time to record some of the shots that I have to make work. I'm sure it's the same shots that every user had trouble with that finally started working after a few weeks or months of doing it.

Listening to Stan isn't as effective as watching when it comes to learning what he is doing. My advice to the op is to watch what Stan does and try to imitate it. You'll learn much more like that vs getting stuck in the loop of talking points.

The OP just needs to keep practicing like he's been doing. Seems to be making progress and the truth series and book will clear up anything and everything else that anyone could possibly ask

sacman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The OP just needs to keep practicing like he's been doing. Seems to be making progress and the truth series and book will clear up anything and everything else that anyone could possibly ask

Yes - that's my intention. I recently purchased an old centenial ball from eBay and am doing some visual perception exercises. I don't own a pool table so improvise at home - visualization and stroke practice. I first thought the CTE line put me automatically to aim point B but it does not. It depends on the distance between CB & OB. I have a lot to learn but am finding this path to be very exciting. I just regret putting Stan's DVD on the shelf for a year because my brain wasn't ready to handle such a concept.

Ignoring the usual "to-CTE-or-not" interruptions I am able to find nuggets of help from others at AZ. Thanks much to all who contribute with an open mind and do not have an ulterior motive to see how quickly they can draw the ire of those from the CTE community. But - much would be gained by that community if we would just calmly ignore the inflammatory remarks and let the proof lay itself in tournament wins (Stevie Moore), videos, and literature - dropping the all-caps rebuttals and encouraging civil discussion.

Tomorrow night is my usual second session at the pool hall on a real table - the highlight of my week.

'nough said.

Last edited:

Mirza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes - that's my intention. I recently purchased an old centenial ball from eBay and am doing some visual perception exercises. I don't own a pool table so improvise at home - visualization and stroke practice. I first thought the CTE line put me automatically to aim point B but it does not. It depends on the distance between CB & OB. I have a lot to learn but am finding this path to be very exciting. I just regret putting Stan's DVD on the shelf for a year because my brain wasn't ready to handle such a concept.

Ignoring the usual "to-CTE-or-not" interruptions I am able to find nuggets of help from others at AZ. Thanks much to all who contribute with an open mind and do not have an ulterior motive to see how quickly they can draw the ire of those from the CTE community. But - much would be gained by that community if we would just calmly ignore the inflammatory remarks and let the proof lay itself in tournament wins (Stevie Moore), videos, and literature - dropping the all-caps rebuttals and encouraging civil discussion.

Tomorrow night is my usual second session at the pool hall on a real table. The highlight of my week (not a happily married man :().

'nough said.

Align first to aimline (CB edge to A/B/C/ 1/8) and then move a bit to left/right until you have a perception of sightline (center to edge for 15° and 30° perception), don't align first to center to edge (sightline).