CTE Question

sacman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Align first to aimline (CB edge to A/B/C/ 1/8) and then move a bit to left/right until you have a perception of sightline (center to edge for 15° and 30° perception), don't align first to center to edge (sightline).

Thanks. I'll do that from now on. I notice that Stan lines up that way. I think it might be easier to choose which visual to use (15/30/45/60). The struggle I'm having (and what caused me to shelve it a year ago) is that CTE veterans say there is only one visual and that it is "precise". But when I line up - say 15 degree perception - edge to A - CTE is not in line and can vary depending on how much I shift my head. At what point do I stop and make it "precise"?

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
...when I line up - say 15 degree perception - edge to A - the CTE line is not in linve and can vary depending on how much I shift my head. At what point do I stop and make it "precise"?
You learn to recognize the correct alignment through trial and error, like every other aiming method. But believing CTE is different can help build your confidence, which is important to learning to aim - so you may want to ignore this. :)

pj
chgo

Last edited:

sacman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks. I'll do that from now on. I notice that Stan lines up that way. I think it might be easier to choose which visual to use (15/30/45/60). The struggle I'm having (and what caused me to shelve it a year ago) is that CTE veterans say there is only one visual and that it is "precise". But when I line up - say 15 degree perception - edge to A - the CTE line is not in linve and can vary depending on how much I shift my head. At what point do I stop and make it "precise"?

... although some (G. Williams, e.g.) calls out the CTEL first. Stan has said it doesn't matter what side you start with. But - as mentioned - it might be easier to determine which visual to use by trying A/B/C or D*.

* 1/8

Allen

Last edited:

Vorpal Cue

Just galumping back
Silver Member
I went back to my posts of early 2017 when I was so confused about CTE (had just gotten the DVD2). I noticed that Vorpal Cue had provided some very helpful information. I'm revisiting that and will work on these things at the pool hall tonight. Thanks for you help.

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=307645&page=4

And I'll give you some props for the idea of a practicing my stroke in slow motion. It helped get my wrist action smoother and helped with shot timing.

Alas, no one inch break success. :)

Last edited:

sacman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And I'll give you some props for the idea of a practicing my stroke in slow motion. It helped get my wrist action smoother and helped with shot timing.

Alas, no one inch break success. :)

I believe the slow-mo practice helps to engrain it in our subconcious (a.k.a. muscle memory). I've since worked with slow-mo. exercises in my daily music practice (my other love). It has helped me to play music I never thought possible and to discontinue constantly re-learning material.

sacman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last night I spent 2-1/2 hours on a 9-ft. table. My goal was to - except for the break - use CTE visuals to align all shots and mostly visual sweeps with an occasional manual pivot. ...

I have to say THAT WAS THE MOST ENJOYABLE TIME in a practice session I've ever had. I was in awe of the number of balls - short distance, long distance, cut shots, and a couple of banks that went into the pocket. I've NEVER experienced that level of success in pocketing balls. For years I've used the parallel system (basically contact point of the cue ball as determined by a line parallel to the pocketing line). That method - for me - was frustratingly inconsistent. Those shots I missed were mostly due to over-pivoting in the visual sweep. The first few shots were way off because it was my second time with CTE on a table but once I started to see the lines I began to pocket balls. I often misjudged the correct visuals and missed the intended pocket. The result ... the ball went 4 rails and into a different pocket! I used CTE to calculate a bank on the eight ball stuck on the far short rail to successully pocket into the corner next to me. With my strong eye (I am left handed but right eye dominant) I was able to lock onto the visuals for the most part. It was difficult on the long distance shots. I'm too inexperienced to quickly decide which visual to use. I'm anxious to test this at my next match against my weekly opponent who always keeps track of wins and losses. While CTE is odd at first - and I certainly don't have it down proficiently - it will be my go-to system. Now to focus more on cue ball position control and breaking technique.

Last edited:

sacman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good for you! :thumbup2:
I've been at it myself for about a year and have been barred from a few local tournaments. It works like a charm and becomes just like riding a bike.
The system will make your opponents hate you. They'll be shaking their heads and muttering..."how the hell is he DOING this stuff".
One word of advice and warning: Never vary from the system or tinker with it and pay ZERO attention to those who try to throw a siren song at you about "some other better method they've figured out".
This CTE is ALL you'll ever need to pocket those balls....ALL over the table.
Keep on truckin'
:thumbup:

Barred from a few tournaments? That's aburd. Let's see ... how do champions win tournaments ... in this order:

1) pocket a ball consistently on the break
2) pocket the next ball after achieving number one ...
3) position the cue ball for the next ... and the next .. etc.

1) = good technique and a lot of luck
2) = mostly skill + a small amount of luck
3) = A LOT of skill + small amount of luck (humidity, cloth cleanliness & age, etc).

So in my humble opinion they are not "manning" up because perhaps they do not have the position play skills. Two things I admire most on the table: pocketing a long distance back cut (blind) shot. and secondy, successfully control of the cue ball for position of the next shot and a safety (of which I am not very good at ... yet).

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good advice for you Sacman......

-----------------------------------

Last edited:

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Dan, this is how these threads get pulled. That was nothing but a shot at another user.

Mike

sacman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sacman...I should've put this in my other congratulatory post to you. So I am doing it now.
I have the benefit of being able to travel a lot around the USA. I don't know where you live, but if you get a chance to spend some time with a real CTE down to earth expert player/bettor who can counsel you in person at the table on a few things, you will be amazed. Absolutely amazed.
I spent only one hour with a guy discussing some marginal difficulty I was having with the 15 degree perception. He showed me in less than one minute exactly what to do.
SO EASY.........SO EASY. I mean beyond belief!

I've been drilling those suckers in from all over the table one after another....just do that pivot and pull that trigger. 50-60 in a row on 4 1/4inch pockets with no 'rattling'. Just dead in the heart!....like stealing!
My next plans will be to "lesson up" with Stan Shuffett in Kentucky, but he isn't receiving any company or students until after he completes his work with his book and his Truth Series for the youtube.
Avail yourself of the opportunity if you can. You're going to just 'eat it up with a spoon'. (don't waste money with any of those big shot advertised instructors unless they're trained and skilled in this "road less travelled" and approved by Stan)
Stay happy.
:thumbup:

Much appreciate the encouraging words. I'm enjoying it too much to go back to the old way (parallel aiming).

sacman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes of course it is. Low is a colorful character ala Minnesota Fats. He's entertaining to listen to but it would be silly to take anything he says seriously. He just likes the aura and lingo associated with pool hall gambling. Like he says in his sig line, he's harmless.

Please don't take my words and use them against someone else.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Please don't take my words and use them against someone else.

Sorry about that. I actually misunderstood your reply. I thought you were saying it was absurd that he would actually get barred from a tournament because he got so good. I realize now that you were agreeing with him that he should not have been barred.

You should know that Low IS a colorful poster and we just recently had a discussion in which he said himself that he throws out a lot of stuff. Not a big deal. I'll bow out of this thread as not to derail it.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sorry about that. I actually misunderstood your reply. I thought you were saying it was absurd that he would actually get barred from a tournament because he got so good. I realize now that you were agreeing with him that he should not have been barred.

You should know that Low IS a colorful poster and we just recently had a discussion in which he said himself that he throws out a lot of stuff. Not a big deal. I'll bow out of this thread as not to derail it.

Good point Dan. Low does have an entertainer's persona here, and many of his posts contain little jabs at "naysayers" and such. I've been guilty of reacting to such jabs with counter jabs. It's something we all need to work on.

Valiant Thor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cte question

I am a cte user my self, in 2010 I retired and took up pool. Could not make 2 ball in a row. Took two lessons from stan and with a lot of work it finally started to work . Now I win so often at the local vfw, American legion and moose club that that came up with a new rule. If you win a tournament two weeks in a row you can't play the next week. Once you learn cte it becomes easy . If you really won't to piss them off, bank all your shots and beat then that way.i am 66 yr. old and cte worked wonders for me.

sacman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glad to hear that! Someday the emphasis on shot making will be replaced by an emphasis on strategic play and perhaps a new game will be invented ... or 3-1/2 to 4" pocket width maximums.