Cue Ball Kelly Cue info, please?

ScottK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A buddy of mine is seeking any information anyone might have regarding this Cue Ball Kelly cue. Manufacturer? Value?
Any information anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

3xTmGsT.png

tN6Lf9F.png

3lsYAs8.png

hoOFjBH.png

412wjKW.png

Uc755yS.png

fK5aDp7.png

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
That must be a cue that was made for Cue Ball Kelly, and that would make it valuable if it was his personal cue. I never knew Kelly to make any cues and I seriously doubt he did. Somehow looks a little too new for his era (he was prominent in the 30's to the 60's). He may have died in the early 70's, so someone like Bill Stroud or Danny Janes could have made that as a gift to him in his last years. I'm pretty certain there is someone on here that knows his date of death. I'm guessing early to mid 70's. He was well over 80 years old then.

Last edited:

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
i saw him around many times.he could do amazing things with the cue ball with his hands. he also i think had some cheap cues made with his name endorsing them.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That must be a cue that was made for Cue Ball Kelly, and that would make it valuable if it was his personal cue. I never knew Kelly to make any cues and I seriously doubt he did. Somehow looks a little too new for his era (he was prominent in the 30's to the 60's). He may have died in the early 70's, so someone like Bill Stroud or Danny Janes could have made that as a gift to him in his last years. I'm pretty certain there is someone on here that knows his date of death. I'm guessing early to mid 70's. He was well over 80 years old then.

Just before he died he did have some kind of deal with someone. There was Cueball Kelly chalk and racks and tip repair kits and all that junk you see sold in stores like Sears and such. I can see them in my mind right now with a graphic of him on the packaging.

He may have died almost as it was going to market and almost none was really produced or at least sold under his name. I remember cues with Joe Balsis name and Harold Worst name on them as well that are pretty rare. I have no idea who was making them, maybe National. I think Cueball Kelly's real name was something like Carl Zingal. I met him a number of times and he was great to talk with. I always got the impression he had money and the pool thing was just a lark he liked being involved in.

I just did a quick google search and found a some more pictures of old cueball Kelly cues. His name was Carl Zingale but I had misspelled it.

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

I saw Kelly in the summer of 1983 at the PPPA World 14.1 Championships in New York. He was no longer with us for the PPPA World 14.1 Championship in Philadelphia in 1986. He must have died sometime in that range. He would have been nearly 90 at the time of his death.

He was a fun guy to be around. I do not recall him ever making cues, but apparently he did endorse some cues.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I saw Kelly in the summer of 1983 at the PPPA World 14.1 Championships in New York. He was no longer with us for the PPPA World 14.1 Championship in Philadelphia in 1986. He must have died sometime in that range. He would have been nearly 90 at the time of his death.

He was a fun guy to be around. I do not recall him ever making cues, but apparently he did endorse some cues.

Thanks Stu, he lived longer than I thought. I worked with him at one of Fred Whalen's World Straight Pool Championships held in the early 70's out here. Kelly was the head ref and he told all of us gophers where to go and what match to ref. He was close to 80 then, but still a gruff old school kind of guy. I got along with him fine, since I was such a pool nut and loved all the old school guys. He never knew (or cared about) my name. He would just say "You go ref that match over there," and point me in the right direction. He knew I was a good ref because he kept using me all day long. I was paid the lordly sum of $5 a match but I was thrilled to be getting in for free!

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry for necro-bumping this thread, but I saw this and decided to join. I have one of these. It was my first cue. I think I bought it in the late 80s. Anyhow, it is a cheaply made cue, and overpriced even at the time. I believe I paid about $75 for it, and it's barely one step up from a cue you might get at K-Mart.

I believe the wrap is nylon of some sort. Before I knew better, I had it rewrapped with linen...complete waste of money. I wouldn't be surprised if the original wrap was something like fishing line, to be totally honest.

Anyhow, I would be absolutely stunned if it has any collector value whatsoever. I'd never sell mine because it has sentimental value, but I replaced it very soon after buying it, and I don't think I've taken so much as a shot with it ever since. I prefer most house cues, actually.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kelly was quite the character. I imagine the cue would hold not much more then sentimental value to those of us who knew him.

In my first 14.1 championship, I drew Jean Balukas my first match. Bad luck. Kelly was the ref and when it was my turn at the table, I froze. Kelly saw and called out a couple of balls before I did, just to get me going. Everyone laughed, including Jean, but she did call out ---- "Hey Kelly, let her choose her own shots, willya?" It was no contest against Jean, but I was able to relax and enjoy the match after that.

Kelly used to make bootleg perfume in his bathtub. He was quite the entrepreneur and a real character of the game. He was a great finger pool trick shot artist, too. He could make the balls practically do U-turns with without a cue.

Patroll

A buddy of mine is seeking any information anyone might have regarding this Cue Ball Kelly cue. Manufacturer? Value?
Any information anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

3xTmGsT.png

tN6Lf9F.png

3lsYAs8.png

hoOFjBH.png

412wjKW.png

Uc755yS.png

fK5aDp7.png
I have the same pool cue only darker and a few more inlays. I told ,I may have a Cue Ball Kelly pool cue.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i seem to think of him throwing the cue bll,spinning it 3 rails kicking etc

i woul buy the cue just for sentimental reasons especially if he signed it
if that is not his signature or made for him
i woulldn't be as interested

it looks a bit like a tad to me
dc

DMM4342

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You might post a question concerning the cue on the forum "Ask The Cue Maker".
Sometimes a specialized readership does not get to other forums.

By looking at the photos of the cue, one of those very knowledgable guys might help you. They might see something of the cue that no one else recognizes.

If no one there can help you, there is a not a very good chance of anyone from anywhere else helping you.
Best of luck,
Dave

maxeypad2007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not much.

The cue has a nylon wrap and the overall quality doesn't look to be that high. I had a national brand cue tha tlooked exactly the same in the late 90s.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Inexpensive Asian import. Decal signature. They were sold without the signature under other brand names as well. They come up on Ebay occasionally.