Cue Maker Positive Stories

71dewajack

Since getting back into the game recently and searching this site, I've found a lot of horror stories regarding some cue builders. I know they exist, but I'd like this to be a thread where customers share positive stories about their interactions with cue builders. There are a lot of great and reputable builders out there, let's give them their due.

Mine are limited, but I'll start, I recently purchased a used Bob Runde Custom. I didn't have a lot of the details, so I wrote Bob, included pictures of the cue, and asked if he'd send back some info on it. Within a very short time, Bob responded with a detailed breakdown of the cue; woods, inlays, butt cap, etc. I thought that was very kind of him.

Also, I've had a lot of Schon questions on the 3 that I have, as well as the history. Evan Clarke has been very helpful and responsive via Facebook to answer questions and clear up misconceptions.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since getting back into the game recently and searching this site, I've found a lot of horror stories regarding some cue builders. I know they exist, but I'd like this to be a thread where customers share positive stories about their interactions with cue builders. There are a lot of great and reputable builders out there, let's give them their due.

Mine are limited, but I'll start, I recently purchased a used Bob Runde Custom. I didn't have a lot of the details, so I wrote Bob, included pictures of the cue, and asked if he'd send back some info on it. Within a very short time, Bob responded with a detailed breakdown of the cue; woods, inlays, butt cap, etc. I thought that was very kind of him.

Also, I've had a lot of Schon questions on the 3 that I have, as well as the history. Evan Clarke has been very helpful and responsive via Facebook to answer questions and clear up misconceptions.
I buy used cues for a multitude of reasons. There are some great guys out there no doubt but i like to see/hit what i'm buying. Short list for me would be Andy Gilbert, Bob Owen, Josh Treadway, Mike Durbin. All are true artists and really stand-up guys to boot.

71dewajack

I buy used cues for a multitude of reasons. There are some great guys out there no doubt but i like to see/hit what i'm buying. Short list for me would be Andy Gilbert, Bob Owen, Josh Treadway, Mike Durbin. All are true artists and really stand-up guys to boot.
Thanks for chiming in. Ideally it's nice to try them out first. Unfortunately, there's not much of a pool scene where I live.

I did just purchase my first Bob Owen from Jack Shurtz interestingly enough. It's still in transit. I heard great things about Bob, so I was looking for one. I hope to purchase one from him direct at some point.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for chiming in. Ideally it's nice to try them out first. Unfortunately, there's not much of a pool scene where I live.

I did just purchase my first Bob Owen from Jack Shurtz interestingly enough. It's still in transit. I heard great things about Bob, so I was looking for one. I hope to purchase one from him direct at some point.
Where's Jack now? He retired to Ga. i thought. He fixed tables here in Tulsa for years. Great guy.

71dewajack

I think Florida is where it's coming from. His daughter posted the listing for him, so I called and spoke to him. I had never done so before. It was a treat. He spoke very highly of Bob of course and shares some nice memories.

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ron Haley, Andy Gilbert, Chad Mcclennan, Mike Lambros, Rick Howard, Mike Bender, Bill Schick, Ariel Carmeli, Bob Owen, Laurie Franklin SOUTH WEST, Bill Stroud Joss West RIP, Dale Perry, Mike Capone. ....
ordered thru all these- Very Pleased with thier work and professionalism-very good , honest business men

71dewajack

That's quite a list! A secondary reason for starting this thread was to get introduced to some makers that I was unfamiliar with. Thanks.

middleofnowhere

Registered
I think ordering new cues that you believe are going to create some kind of magic is okay but don't really depend on them for your everyday playing game. You can't wait three or four years for a new cue.

You're much better off buying a used cue that you can hit balls with and decide if you like it and you can walk away with the cue today. And if it's a halfway decent cue it'll probably always be worth what you paid for it to somebody.

Over the years I've owned a zillion cues custom-made bought used and so on and the cue i tend to play with everyday when I do play which isn't that often is the same cue I've been using since the mid 80s.

It plays good could use a refinish I've had a new shaft or two for it but it's almost refreshing to know you've got a cue that you really like and that search for the magic cue is over.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
find a cue you like the looks of and hits the way you want it to. then buy it even if you pay a little too much. use it and enjoy it. if you want it to look pretty send it to someone for a re finish which costs less than 200 bucks usually.
then you have a new looking cue that is perfect for you at a much cheaper price and have it now.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
My cue ordering days are long gone. But when I was active, it was two makers exclusively, Tim Scruggs and Jerry R.

poolandpokerman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love working with Chris Nitti and Wes Hunter, have owned several cues from each cuemaker and they are good people and good
cuemakers and make it easy to work with them...
Tom

dirtvictim

Ignore the entitled they haven't earned respect
Excellent experience with Laurie Franklin at southwest, visual ID on an early DPK/SW and didn't charge me to look it over.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I agree about Evan Clarke. I have a Schon SL-5 which I have owned for 15 years and he was helpful with me. I'd sell it but don't want the drama of selling it on this website from the usual suspects who are in the cue flipping business and can't run 3 balls.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Add Dave Kikel. Done several builds with him and zero issues. I cannot ever recall reading one negative mention of his name either. Mike Lambros as well has the same rep from me.. Joe Gold also comes with a spotless rep.. Many great honest builders. Sadly the ugly ones really stand out!!

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
When I was about 53 or 54 or so I asked Murray Tucker III to build me a sneaky, ideally before I turned 60. He agreed and promised to send me pictures of the next set of blanks. Sure enough when I was about 56 or 57 Murray sent me a picture and asked me to pick. A year or so later I had my cue, well before my 60th birthday. Winner ! (and the JimboArmy rocks)

I had a similar but more time-compressed experience with Travis (Blackcreek) ... he said about 6 or 8 months to finish a blank he had in stock and was right.

Jim Baxter and Ernie Omori together had a sneaky done for me in about the time they promised, maybe 3 months IIRC.

Dave

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
from my personal experience
chris nitti my first cuemaker i dealt with
randy mobley
paul dayton
pete tascarella
andy gilbert
bobby hunter