Cue repair lathe vs mini metal lathe.

21Hoosier

I would like to change my own tips, shaft in cleaning and other minor repairs. I know of one cuesmith about 40 minutes away but don't necessarily care for his business practices. I don't plan on making cues.

I am looking at the Cueman, Mid America, Unique style of repair lathe and an imported 8" X 31" metal lathe. Other than than the weight and portability what are the advantages of one over the other? The metal lathe is 31.5" between centers and has a 1.5" through bore. The prices are comparable.

I feel that the metal lathe is more versatile and probably more accurate. Hopefully someone more experienced will point out anything I am over looking.

Thank you in advance.

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Burnett C.C. Howdy;

This the kind of information a lot of us that don't want to 'Make" cues
but would like to have a way to keep the working end in good shape
without having to make trips of an hour or more just for something
that's price is now compounded by the cost of Gas/Diesel for the round
trip in my case 120 miles (Out-n-Back). So, I need to add roughly $33.00
just for diesel @ ~ $5.20/gal.

Not trying to pry 'Trade Secrets' just asking you share your thoughts and opinions.

hank

Burnett Custom Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t mind sharing my thoughts and opinions. I just didn’t have time to write out a reply and gave him my phone number. I’d be glad to talk to you too about it, I’ll pm you my number.

The short answer is that I would recommend a cue lathe by Mid-America or Cue Smith if you want to just do maintenance and small repairs. The 8x31 is too short to do a lot of things. It does some things better than a Taig lathe but it isn’t as versatile. The Taig style lathes can be setup cheaper and you could always use it as a finish lathe and tip lathe, if you decide to build cues later on.

JerseyBill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would like to change my own tips, shaft in cleaning and other minor repairs. I know of one cuesmith about 40 minutes away but don't necessarily care for his business practices. I don't plan on making cues.

I am looking at the Cueman, Mid America, Unique style of repair lathe and an imported 8" X 31" metal lathe. Other than than the weight and portability what are the advantages of one over the other? The metal lathe is 31.5" between centers and has a 1.5" through bore. The prices are comparable.

I feel that the metal lathe is more versatile and probably more accurate. Hopefully someone more experienced will point out anything I am over looking.

Thank you in advance.
I have the metal lathe you're speaking of. It's brand new , used for one hour. I'm near Binghamton N.Y. no shipping..It's a useable lathe but you might need 36 inches unless you're very handy. I will sell it...you can see it work that way and I have other items. Depends where you live.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member

Thank you in advance.
The best thing to do is use the search function here, as this question has been asked 100's of time just since I joined in 2007, and most experienced people are tired of repeatedly writing the same thing over and over. There are literally Hours of reading.

21Hoosier

The best thing to do is use the search function here, as this question has been asked 100's of time just since I joined in 2007, and most experienced people are tired of repeatedly writing the same thing over and over. There are literally Hours of reading.
I figured someone would reply accordingly. I accept it as constructive information.

I do read on here everday. Some is for the entertainment and some for learning.I did a search and found a few pages from 2007. That thread turned south. One might assume that this information is out of date and that import lathes have been improved on in the last 15 years and that 31.5 inches between centers isn't enough by the time a drill chuck is added and drive pin adapters. Then there might be a 3rd option that I hadn't considered that would be less costly and would suit my needs, which could have been communicated with a quick 1 liner. I guess I might have found more had I rephrased the search several different ways.

Best regards to all.

TrxR

What about a good used full size metal lathe like a 12 or 14x40 or a old SB heavy 10?

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
I figured someone would reply accordingly. I accept it as constructive information.

I do read on here everday. Some is for the entertainment and some for learning.I did a search and found a few pages from 2007. That thread turned south. One might assume that this information is out of date and that import lathes have been improved on in the last 15 years and that 31.5 inches between centers isn't enough by the time a drill chuck is added and drive pin adapters. Then there might be a 3rd option that I hadn't considered that would be less costly and would suit my needs, which could have been communicated with a quick 1 liner. I guess I might have found more had I rephrased the search several different ways.

Best regards to all.
There is lots of stuff newer than 2007, here are a few.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member

Best regards to all.
My post was not meant to be snarky or such, It was actually meant to help, as there are MANY threads over the yrs about this same subject. The info is as relevant now as when written as imports have not changed much except get more expensive. I believe it is best to do your own research rather than rely on others as what worked for them may not be what's best for you so the more info you read, the better IMHO.
Dave

21Hoosier

No offense meant, none taken. I believe I have ruled out a metal lathe. I have made walking sticks with a router crafter and I don't think a metal lathe would help with them. I do have access to industrial lathes and a couple of machinists if I need metal threaded or turned.

Thanks to all for taking the time to read and reply.

ekb6760

Misplaced Texan
Gold Member
Silver Member

Thank you in advance.
I've done tip & ferrule repairs for many years. You can't go wrong with either Cueman or Mid America, but I would recommend the headstock be the larger size that will accept the cue butt. With the larger size you are much more versatile, and you can do re-facings when needed as well as linen re-wraps. The added cost will pay for itself over time. You should also consider the 4-Jaw chuck. Just my opinion. I heard too many horror stories about the Chinese lathes, but some people do okay with them. Feel free to PM me for other questions.

TomHay

Best Tips For Less
Gold Member
Silver Member
Over the years I owned every kind of lathe and CNC on the market which would include a Custom Bludworth that cut 6 pieces with Tapers of Butts or shafts at a time. To be fair I also owned a few Hightower and Mid Americans.

Your question is quite simple. You want to put on your own tips and perhaps a ferrule now and than, maybe a wrap. You need a simple, easy to adjust lathe and by looking at your question perhaps some tech service and fast and easy to get parts. It does not get any better than a CueMan Hightower Lathe or Mid American, both offer fantastic service and support. I made some cues on both, BUT for high tuned work you need to secure the lathes as if you move them around you will never hit .005 offset without relocking everything down like you did new. I wish you the best at your new venture.