Cue Tip Contact Myth-Busting Truths in Super Slow Motion

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Better implied "more" ....

That was the context of much of this thread.
"More" spin is only "better" if speed is unchanged. More RPMs with more speed (i.e., the same spin-to-speed ratio - like simply hitting harder) doesn't do anything for you spinwise.

That's the context of the misunderstandings in this thread.

pj
chgo

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My experience is similar when it comes to soft tips.

Over the years I have tried many, many tips and a soft tip can change dramatically over the course of its life at the end of an often used pool cue. IOWs, a Kamui black SS is not going to play the same when it is not compressed and newly installed, as it will after weeks of play. I suppose there’s also the issue of how many layers of tip you’re leaving on.

Lou Figueroa
No doubt. Just about all layered tips change hardness over time. Some more than others. I've found that Ultraskins maintain their rated hardness quite well. Helluva good tip for 3bux.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe he was just saying that a more efficient hit (harder tip) transfers a little more of the cue's energy to the cb, when compared to using the same stroke speed but with a softer tip. So, if a harder tip produces a little more cb speed, then shouldn't it produce a little more spin? 🤔

The "little more" is probably so tiny that it's not noticeable for most players. But when a player says they can feel or see the difference, I don't believe it's total bs. There is some valid reasoning in why they can feel or see the difference.
RPM's are pretty much governed by tip offset. I can't tell the difference in tips when doing PJ's striped ball test. Any difference that 'MIGHT' exist are ,as you said, tiny.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Softer tip = more contact time
True.

which is better for imparting spin on the CB
False.

this is undermined to some degree by a decrease in tip efficiency and thus lower CB speed given the same stroke.
True.

Harder tip = less contact time
True.

which is worse for imparting spin on the CB
False.

increase in CB speed due to higher tip efficiency given the same stroke.
True.

I've been over and over this stuff countless times in this thread, and I think I have provided plenty of valid explanations and convincing demonstrations. I don't know what else to do other than ask that you carefully review everything at the link below (even if you have read through previous versions before, and even if you have watched all the videos before), where all relevant and important information is documented:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thought I did show it on my last video already. Better player can get more draw with less speed. There is video from Corey on YouTube showing the drill for practicing this.

Please post a link if you can find it. Thanks.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Exactly. In the one video it is demonstrated that the harder tips make the CB go longer on that lag shot which was an effort to use the same stroke speed to control that variable as much as possible. This means more speed for harder tip. Thus, when doing the spin test, the CB should be measured to go that same extra distance it did on the straight on speed test to try to control for the same stroke speed when observing spin effects. I have to rewatch the videos to see if that happened or not. DrDave is pretty good at thinking these things out.

Dr Dave focused on producing consistent cb speeds to show the cb reaction/angle off the cushion. This works great to prove that at equal cb speeds different tips produce the same amount of spin on the cb. But that's not the same as proving that different tips produce the same amount of spin when it comes to striking the cb with identical stroke speeds. In other words, if you have to manipulate the stroke speed in order to produce equal cb spin results, it seems that the results don't prove much about the actual spin difference that might exist between a hard tip and a soft tip when identical cue strokes are applied.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dr Dave focused on producing consistent cb speeds to show the cb reaction/angle off the cushion. This works great to prove that at equal cb speeds different tips produce the same amount of spin on the cb. But that's not the same as proving that different tips produce the same amount of spin when it comes to striking the cb with identical stroke speeds. In other words, if you have to manipulate the stroke speed in order to produce equal cb spin results, it seems that the results don't prove much about the actual spin difference that might exist between a hard tip and a soft tip when identical cue strokes are applied.
With the same offset and cue speed spin rpm's are for all intents identical. Difference is in the ratio of forward motion-to-spin.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
do I get more (or less) spin on the cb with a hard tip or soft tip when the same stroke effort/speed is applied?

I think I answered and demonstrated that fairly well with the first few sections in my "Can a SOFTER TIP Put MORE SPIN on the Ball? -- MYTHBUSTING Answers" video. The answer is: a harder tip will create more speed and more spin with the same tip offset and stroke effort. But that is an unfair comparison (making soft tips look bad), because when playing pool, it is the CB speed that is important.

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I believe he was just saying that a more efficient hit (harder tip) transfers a little more of the cue's energy to the cb, when compared to using the same stroke speed but with a softer tip.
Yes, just like hitting a little harder.

So, if a harder tip produces a little more cb speed, then shouldn't it produce a little more spin?
Yes, but the spin/speed ratio (the important thing for spin effect) remains unchanged. This (again) is the main disconnect in this thread - maybe if we say it another 100 times? 1,000?

pj
chgo

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
RPM's are pretty much governed by tip offset. I can't tell the difference in tips when doing PJ's striped ball test. Any difference that 'MIGHT' exist are ,as you said, tiny.

I imagine rolling a steel ball down a ramp. At the bottom of the ramp is a steel block. The centerline of the ball strikes the right side of the block and causes it to move forward and rotate a bit out of the way.
I think I answered and demonstrated that fairly well with the first few sections in my "Can a SOFTER TIP Put MORE SPIN on the Ball? -- MYTHBUSTING Answers" video. The answer is: a harder tip will create more speed and more spin with the same stroke effort. But that is an unfair comparison (making soft tips look bad), because when playing pool, it is the CB speed that is important.

With some shots, like soft speed maximum spin shots, cb spin trumps cb speed. Or maximum draw shots or follow shots... If a hard tip produces more speed and more spin (provided there's enough friction between tip and ball), then shooting a max draw or follow would take less stroke effort than it would with a super soft tip.
Experience has already proven this to me and many others.

What I like about your myth busting video is that you prove that a soft tip is no better than a hard tip when it comes to moving the cb around the table with spin, at least for the vast majority of shots being played.

It really is a "feel" thing, meaning that for a small group of shots, one tip does affect the cb differently than another, and for experienced players it is a noticeable difference that can be felt and observed.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
With some shots, like soft speed maximum spin shots, cb spin trumps cb speed.
Yes, greater spin-to-speed ratio = greater spin effect.

Or maximum draw shots or follow shots...
Yes, spin-to-speed only controls the effect of side spin - draw and follow are different because the spin's effect is only seen after the speed part of the equation is changed so dramatically by contact with the OB.

pj
chgo

pvc lou

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, greater spin-to-speed ratio = greater spin effect.

Yes, spin-to-speed only controls the effect of side spin - draw and follow are different because the spin's effect is only seen after the speed part of the equation is changed so dramatically by contact with the OB.

pj
chgo