Cue Tip Size And Shape Effects

HueblerHustler7

AndrewActionG
Silver Member
FYI, I just posted a new video that discusses and demonstrates the effects of shaft diameter and tip shape. Some effects are important to be aware of, but many are not as important an many people might think. Check it out:

Contents:
0:00 - Intro
0:14 - Shaft/Tip Size
2:04 - Tip Shape
5:56 - Wrap Up

As always, I look forward to your feedback, comments, questions, complaints, and requests.

Enjoy!
Great write up Doc! Short sweet to the point!

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Yet another video that goes completely against any competent player’s perception of what’s actually happening on the table.

I can’t believe you actually play pool. Why wouldn’t you frame these videos for any practical use??? So many of the things you cover are purely theoretical and hold absolutely no water when it comes to a human with a cue in hand.

Tip diameter and tip shape massively effect every single shot. To say none of it matters to keeps the whole topic in a vacuum.

When a player picks up the EXACT same cue with a tip that’s rounded at a dime instead of a quarter…it’s going to play massively different…period.

Also, many of your videos underplay “insignificant” or “inconsequential” differences in your measurements…i got news for ya…in a game of millimeters, they AREN'T insignificant or inconsequential.
I just read your post again and I have to agree. Then I went back and watched the video, and he made a couple of points in the very beginning of it that I have to agree with also that do in fact play the biggest role for me. But it was downplayed as being
somewhat inconsequential when compared to the tiny differences in math. Screw the math. The game is visual and tactile.

For me, the size of the tip is the end result of the size of the shaft. For an open bridge, it doesn't matter. But I use a closed bridge and have since first picking up a cue. With a thin shaft/small tip, I can't get my forefinger and thumb in a small enough loop to keep it from flopping around all over hell in different directions. The only time I use an open bridge is when I have to
sometime really reach for the shot and not go to using a mechanical bridge. Now there is a flip side to it for certain players.
I've known some men with thick, fat, fleshy fingers that couldn't use a loop bridge because the cue wouldn't go back and forth through the bridge with ease, especially when humid and sweating. In the good old days of talcum powder, it was always being used and all over the table.

The second point he made was about using the tip as a way to play the game based on factoring in different cut angles. When
using pivot aiming, it's EVERYTHING and the tip/shaft angle when aligned to 3-4 specific segments of the OB is how it's done.
It's also why I use the old fashion size of 13mm. Seeing the tip and different parts of it along with the ferrule and CB edge aimed at specific points on the OB is simple and highly repeatable without guessing and the magic word of "FEEL". What the hell is that from one person to another and how is it transferable?

So, good for him for covering that 15 seconds or so on those parts at least. If he did more of it instead of the math, there wouldn't be this great divide between different "factions" and ways of playing the game with ensuing flame wars.

Last edited:

BRKNRUN

Showin some A$$
Silver Member
I've known some men with thick, fat, fleshy fingers that couldn't use a loop bridge because the cue wouldn't go back and forth through the bridge with ease, especially when humid and sweating.

I call them sausage fingers....

I have square hand sausage fingers.........The only closed loop bridge I can make (especially anymore) is the OK bridge with the tip of my finger touching the tip of my thumb....I much prefer an open bridge whenever I can.......but use whatever the shot calls for.

I could never make that bridge where those lanky M'Frs put the first finger on the back of the second finger....my fingers just don't work that way.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
… I went back and watched the video, and he made a couple of points in the very beginning of it that I have to agree …

Mark this point in time. You actually agree with something I posted! 😲

The remainder of your post is less “agreeable,” but the quote shows at least tiny hope for world peace. 🤞✌️

Happy Easter!

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Mark this point in time. You actually agree with something I posted! 😲

The remainder of your post is less “agreeable,” but the quote shows at least tiny hope for world peace. 🤞✌️

Happy Easter!
It could work both ways, dude. Don't get an aneurism trying though. It takes two or more so tell your buddies.

I will give you kudos on something else, so you might want to pop a valium or two. You have become very good with the video
camera and however you position it for various shots up close or far away. Very clear and precise. Now, go learn what you have to learn about the way to use CTE and or manual pivoting without badmouthing. (that includes others who you have personal ties and influence with)

Last edited:

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I call them sausage fingers....

I have square hand sausage fingers.........The only closed loop bridge I can make (especially anymore) is the OK bridge with the tip of my finger touching the tip of my thumb....I much prefer an open bridge whenever I can.......but use whatever the shot calls for.
That works. Depends on how tight you pull the thumb back toward the base of the forefinger. But you might not be able to.
I could never make that bridge where those lanky M'Frs put the first finger on the back of the second finger....my fingers just don't work that way.
LMAO about the first finger on the back of the second finger. What a memory jogger. I haven't seen that for many years but nothing I ever wanted to try.

Justaneng

Registered
Agreed. I am an engineer, author, content creator, and pool instructor. I know a lot about physics and how it applies to pool, and I am also decent at math, but I am not really a “scientist.”

As a B.S. level engineer, I’d throw you more toward the science bucket than the engineer bucket.

Reason being that you’re seeking out what is true and not what MIGHT be true if you changed it.

So while the scientist on table 1 is trying out if the (both commercially available) 11.6 and 12.2 mm carbon shafts play at all differently, the engineer on table 2 is seeing if if you can run out using a 20mm shaft on a table covered with Simonis 760 and 3 quarts of astroglide.

Since neither the scientist nor engineer are coordinated enough to test this, we need the skilled folks at AZB to do the actual shooting, even if they can’t derive individually why what they’re doing works.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
regular players have no quantitative data to present, so in no real way can they discern the small differences in these things to test and draw a worthwhile conclusion from.

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
regular players have no quantitative data to present, so in no real way can they discern the small differences in these things to test and draw a worthwhile conclusion from.
There is someone, a good friend of mine, who absolutely insists that you can draw a cue ball by hitting above center with top, using a special drop stroke. I have also had a co-worker at the beginning of my career, an electrical engineer, that told me he doesn't believe in math. :oops:

In both cases ego and emotional investment in a belief defies logic, but that is OK if it keeps them from getting depressed. We don't want anybody unhappy at the cost of proving rightness or wrongness.

Where all of this stuff truly matters is when we design something new... the next better thing. You can't argue with the laws of nature. All of these investigations play into advancement of technology in sports. When the players who are grumbling now end up buying the next better thing it may still be impossible to convince them that it was all because of investigations like tip placement and microscopic details.

Pubo

There is someone, a good friend of mine, who absolutely insists that you can draw a cue ball by hitting above center with top, using a special drop stroke. I have also had a co-worker at the beginning of my career, an electrical engineer, that told me he doesn't believe in math. :oops:

In both cases ego and emotional investment in a belief defies logic, but that is OK if it keeps them from getting depressed. We don't want anybody unhappy at the cost of proving rightness or wrongness.

Where all of this stuff truly matters is when we design something new... the next better thing. You can't argue with the laws of nature. All of these investigations play into advancement of technology in sports. When the players who are grumbling now end up buying the next better thing it may still be impossible to convince them that it was all because of investigations like tip placement and microscopic details.
I'm more surprised at how someone can become an electrical engineer if they don't believe in matho_O

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I like to play with my tip as round as possible and a 25 mm shaft. Some may call it a broom handle. But it’s mine and I love it.
Well, as we’ve heard, differences in tip diameter are pretty much insignificant so you should be fine.
Other than personal preference/comfort (I definitely wouldn't like it), there's no reason a 25mm tip wouldn't play like any other. You could just about fit a quarter shape on it, and you'd only need to use the middle half (so no edge-of-the-tip miscues).

pj
chgo

Pubo

Other than personal preference/comfort (I definitely wouldn't like it), there's no reason a 25mm tip wouldn't play like any other. You could just about fit a quarter shape on it, and you'd only need to use the middle half (so no edge-of-the-tip miscues).

pj
chgo
on the other hand, though, we can't hit miscue limit when playing draw and therefore no max (or close to max) draw is possible. This might be one downside of having outrageously big tip.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
on the other hand, though, we can't hit miscue limit when playing draw and therefore no max (or close to max) draw is possible. This might be one downside of having outrageously big tip.
Good point - you’d only be able to get about half of maximum draw.

pj
chgo