Cue Tip Size And Shape Effects

Zerksies

Yet another video that goes completely against any competent player’s perception of what’s actually happening on the table.

I can’t believe you actually play pool. Why wouldn’t you frame these videos for any practical use??? So many of the things you cover are purely theoretical and hold absolutely no water when it comes to a human with a cue in hand.

Tip diameter and tip shape massively effect every single shot. To say none of it matters to keeps the whole topic in a vacuum.

When a player picks up the EXACT same cue with a tip that’s rounded at a dime instead of a quarter…it’s going to play massively different…period.

Also, many of your videos underplay “insignificant” or “inconsequential” differences in your measurements…i got news for ya…in a game of millimeters, they AREN'T insignificant or inconsequential.
I wouldn't bother the time arguging to many fanboys.

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I think anyone who has played a bit knows the shape of your tip makes a significant difference.

What I have learned in my time on pool tables is that it's never a case of exactly a dime v exactly a nickel. Most often, tips take on slightly more complex shapes than the simple radius of a coin. No, I have no interest in making a video. I'm simply addressing something many pool players of a particular skill level know, maybe just intuitively.

Some of this stuff you need to take with a lump of salt.

Lou Figueroa

I suppose it depends on what you mean by significant difference. If you played with a totally misshapen tip, would it change how many balls you beat me by in 14.1? I would bet the answer is no as you would immediately adapt to the new feel.

I’ve botched a few tip installs and played with the result and, although the feel is certainly different, I don’t think it impacted how many balls I could run. Just look at the tips on the pro’s snooker cues.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I suppose it depends on what you mean by significant difference. If you played with a totally misshapen tip, would it change how many balls you beat me by in 14.1? I would bet the answer is no as you would immediately adapt to the new feel.

I’ve botched a few tip installs and played with the result and, although the feel is certainly different, I don’t think it impacted how many balls I could run. Just look at the tips on the pro’s snooker cues.

Many, many years ago, I won a big tournament.

A few weeks later my tip, which had gotten pretty thin, popped off and I replaced it. I hadn't really paid much attention to its curvature but when it came off I took a close look at it and was surprised at its shape. It wasn't nickel and it wasn't dime, it was something else, probably produced by the way I chalk. I had one of those transparent plastic stencils with a bunch of different radius circles and tried to match it and couldn't. I think that was because it was a shape more akin to an oval than a circle.

Anywhos, I played really good with that tip.

Lou Figueroa

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Yet another video that goes completely against any competent player’s perception of what’s actually happening on the table.

I can’t believe you actually play pool. Why wouldn’t you frame these videos for any practical use??? So many of the things you cover are purely theoretical and hold absolutely no water when it comes to a human with a cue in hand.

Tip diameter and tip shape massively effect every single shot. To say none of it matters to keeps the whole topic in a vacuum.

When a player picks up the EXACT same cue with a tip that’s rounded at a dime instead of a quarter…it’s going to play massively different…period.

Also, many of your videos underplay “insignificant” or “inconsequential” differences in your measurements…i got news for ya…in a game of millimeters, they AREN'T insignificant or inconsequential.
Great post! It did make for another good lovefest between the two amigos and combined knowledge...or lack thereof. Double pats on the back for their like minds and teamwork. Nothing was mentioned about tip hardness/softness with the size variations and their effects. I would imagine no differences there also.

Tip size for me means more than what was shown in this video for spin. I use tip size to gauge tip offsets along with pivots for aiming purposes. 1 to 3 millimeters makes a big difference for making a shot or missing a shot for the cue angle aim points and strike points. I use the tip and tip size to set shots up. This won't be understood by many and is ixnayed by the math geometricians with straight lines and 2d, but it does exist with more dynamic methods of playing the game. To each their own.

Reactions: SEB

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
I appreciate your efforts Dr Dave. All other discussion should be diverted to a new thread to discuss how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yeah, I addressed the shaft/tip diameter and tip shape. Your way of playing the game and mine are worlds apart in many respects.

My videos dealing with shaft size, tip shape and hardness really have nothing to do with how I “play the game.” I can adjust to equipment differences fairly quickly, especially with my SAWS system. Although, your focus on CTE is certainly different from my focus on DAM. No doubt about that.

soyale

1711638232440.jpeg