Cuemaker keeping a customer's cue

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
threads like this show the mind set of America and explain why the lawyers are all too busy.

This thead is also very motivating to me to move out of america and go where things are more relaxed and not so tense.

i hope it works out in the end for everyone,

respectfully
eric

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Eddie Wheat Cue

Hell no. Even Eddie Wheat wouldnt keep his own cue!

Brian,

Speaking of Eddie Wheat cues, I'm still looking for those Wheat Bucks.
Send them to me and I'll give you more tips for your kids to drop down the heat register.

Ted

cuesmith

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!
Silver Member
threads like this show the mind set of America and explain why the lawyers are all too busy.

This thead is also very motivating to me to move out of america and go where things are more relaxed and not so tense.

i hope it works out in the end for everyone,

respectfully
eric

Me too Eric! I'm already trying to get my ducks in a row. As soon as I turn 62, (Oct 2012) I'm planning a move to the Philippines. I can live on SS there and I'll probably set up a cueshop to give me something to take to the poolrooms. Maybe Jay will be ready to go for an extended visit...

dave sutton

Banned
I would love to see this pin. Wonder how bad it is....

Ill give you one better. If laurie could somehow mark the pin "fake" and add "do not remove pin"

i personally wouldnt touch the cue or remove any pin i saw like that.

This falls under the "just sue me" act. How many times do you hear that. Someone says "sue me then" knowing the person wont follow thru. The guy already took a bath on the cue i doubt he will spring for plane tickets and legal fees to get back a fake cue

unfortunate situation. Do your homework gentleman

Fuji-whopper

Fargo: 457...play some?
Silver Member
Mr. Sutton: Kelly (JYD) suggested taking a dremel or similar tool and grinding a big "X" through the cactus so that it's very obvious the cue is not genuine. Sure it might be a bit severe but I thought it was a good idea, simple and straight to the point.

At this point I am just extremely curious to know who built the cue, I wonder if the people at Southwest have seen this level of forgery before?

dave sutton

Banned
Mr. Sutton: Kelly (JYD) suggested taking a dremel or similar tool and grinding a big "X" through the cactus so that it's very obvious the cue is not genuine. Sure it might be a bit severe but I thought it was a good idea, simple and straight to the point.

At this point I am just extremely curious to know who built the cue, I wonder if the people at Southwest have seen this level of forgery before?

good luck in your search. im sure there are too many to know. the x could be a good idea then the customer could have the pin removed. i guess that would be the result she wanted. reguardless keeping the cue should be a no. that is a bit severe. i can see her protecting her buisness and unsuspecting customers

maybe replace with a SS pin same thread so there is no question...

donny mills

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is this cue worth knowing it's a fake? Someone posted earlier that you can buy one for 75 dollars... really?? If so why would the owner worry about getting it back so much. Sell it for a bunch of money as a real one? lol.

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
That's where it really sucks, it was sold to a local poolroom owner who sold it to my friend. The room owner bought it in good faith thinking it was authentic so that's where the trail really ends, the poolroom owner trying to help out a roadplayer/dirtbag by buying his "valuable" cue at a decent price and getting burned.

I have never seen a copy of a Southwest with a cactus on it that's just brazen theft if you ask me, I can't believe someone would go to those lengths. Many cuemakers started out or have made a Southwest "looking" cue at some point in their career as they are very pleasing to the eye, but the logo/ trademark infringement goes to far which is why I didn't really blame them for keeping the cue. For all I know they could be building a case against a known forger and they are using it as evidence, I'm not going to call them and stick my nose where it isn't wanted though.

Thanks for the additional information regarding this cue. It's nice to hear that apparently no "dealers" were involved. It will be interesting to see if more of these turn up in the near future. I wish your friend the best with this....unfortunately a bad situation. It takes a lot of work for people to educate themselves about custom cues, and this is one reason why it's very important.

lenoxmjs

Brazilian Rosewood Fan
Silver Member
I had an experiance with a fake Franklin Southwest . It was a purple heart plain jane . I sent it to Laurie for a letter refinish and rewrap and a second shaft to be made. Ended up being fake . Laurie sent the cue back no problem. . Seller refunded me, not sure what happened to the cue after that.

mia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Forgive me for asking, (perhaps its obvious to everyone else) but what exactly does this post mean?

Are you saying that the original poster, the cue owner, and all else in this thread who think that Laurie's actions weren't appropriate... that we're all wrong?

I'm confused.:confused:

SK Custom Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Think bigger.

It means our country is screwed up and is headed for disaster. Too many unhealthy and overweight people, who, for no legitimate reason, carry egos the size of Texas stating infantile remarks for personal gain.

We are in need of some serious restructuring of our leaders, and the only hope of doing that is honestly evaluating our current status and introducing more discipline in the home and in our education system. We need to start over and take a look at what's truly important on a basic level.

Sacrificing yourself to benefit humanity is practically non-existent and is actually backwards. Most everyone is using and manipulating humanity to benefit themselves from a failure to understand with wisdom.

Forgive me for asking, (perhaps its obvious to everyone else) but what exactly does this post mean?

Are you saying that the original poster, the cue owner, and all else in this thread who think that Laurie's actions weren't appropriate... that we're all wrong?

cuesmith

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!
Silver Member

Well if in fact it is Laurie's actions that are in question, then YES! Laurie is a very good business woman with unquestionable ethics IMHO! And if it is in fact Laurie who's holding the cue, I'd bet it was in order to show it to her attorney and see what could be done to remedy the situation. If this cue is going to be evidence in a court case, I wouldn't expect it to be returned any time soon! I think people here have blown this WAY out of proportion and given it much too much in the way of opinions. Don't think they don't confiscate phony Oakley's, or Tommy Hillbillys or other designer items. I've seen them load up van loads of the stuff!

iba7467

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well if in fact it is Laurie's actions that are in question, then YES! Laurie is a very good business woman with unquestionable ethics IMHO! And if it is in fact Laurie who's holding the cue, I'd bet it was in order to show it to her attorney and see what could be done to remedy the situation. If this cue is going to be evidence in a court case, I wouldn't expect it to be returned any time soon! I think people here have blown this WAY out of proportion and given it much too much in the way of opinions. Don't think they don't confiscate phony Oakley's, or Tommy Hillbillys or other designer items. I've seen them load up van loads of the stuff!

Dude, Tommy Hillfiger has never confiscated anything in his life. It is wrong. Who cares about the cue since it is fake, but she is in the wrong. If it is the quality of fake she is concerned with then she should be responsible for replacing the pin. She could even photograph it for record or request permission from the owner to show to the authorities.

Withholding property that is not yours without legal approval is not right.

cuesmith

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!
Silver Member
Dude, Tommy Hillfiger has never confiscated anything in his life. It is wrong. Who cares about the cue since it is fake, but she is in the wrong. If it is the quality of fake she is concerned with then she should be responsible for replacing the pin. She could even photograph it for record or request permission from the owner to show to the authorities.

Withholding property that is not yours without legal approval is not right.

BS! Counterfeited items are confiscated every day! All the knockers are assuming they're holding the cue. It may well be in the hands of law enforcement. Or as I said they may just be exploring their legal options before any proof of their case is spirited away. Let's face it, the cuemaker didn't confiscate the cue, it was sent to them to see if it was authentic. I'd think he/she should get the benefit of the doubt under a situation where they were obviously wronged. They should have time to find out what is really the right thing to do without all you high & mighty people judging them without all the facts.
I'm not posting anymore on the subject. It's seems like it's been beaten around enough!

mia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm not going to sit here and pretend I know all the intimate details of this transaction gone awry. I don't. I'd be willing to bet that there are quite a few details were AREN'T hearing. But...

If the story rings true as told, that no explanation or compensation was offered and you think that is acceptible, I would have to seriously question your business ethic.

cuesmith

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!
Silver Member
I'm not going to sit here and pretend I know all the intimate details of this transaction gone awry. I don't. I'd be willing to bet that there are quite a few details were AREN'T hearing. But...

If the story rings true as told, that no explanation or compensation was offered and you think that is acceptible, I would have to seriously question your business ethic.

You had to taunt me with that crack! What I find unacceptable is the way everyone assumes the cuemaker is wrong without knowing the facts! What I've been saying but you seem to be too obtuse to understand is that you have no idea how long the cuemaker has had the cue to begin with. You have no idea what their intentions are! He did not confiscate the cue, it was sent to him! He was obviously wronged if his logo was counterfeited. He has the right to explore his options before returning the evidence. Has anyone said that the cuemaker has refused to return the cue? NO. He just hasn't returned it yet!

It people like this that keep cuemakers, players and other people of value away from these forums. Before you interject your moral integtity to a thread you should at least read the original post well and not substitute your opinion and suspicions for fact and use that as a basis to crucify another human being. Now I'm done, I've got better things to do than try to reason with the unreasonable!