custom case

dave_k

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
currently i have a 2x4 instroke, i like it and have zero complaints about the quality of it, however its just time for a fresh case and also wanting more cue space.

please list recommendations for a custom case.

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
John Barton IMO. Odd and eccentric guy for sure, best case maker out there IMO though.

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
Whitten makes a beautiful case.

I love the look of Whitten cases but anyone buying one should look at a 3 or 4 year old Whitten to see how they hold up. I have found that Whittens I have seen that are older don't tend to age very well, they wear out more then alot of other case types.

Justis has one of the best exteriors, long lasting quality cases. But his interiors leave alot of room for the cues to move around. I was in Vegas contemplating buying one and loaded the case with my cues, closed it, and noticed that the cues moved around quite alot in the case when it was moved about. And the interior stuff that seperates the cues and shafts is not padded.

Fastlenny has a really good video review in the case review section of AZB (highly reccomend going their to check out the reviews) of both a Barton and a GTF case. He had a concern with the way the Barton case opened and closed and the rubbing of leather on leather for the lid and body of the case. His concern is well warranted, it looks like an area of concern and will wear out over time.

GTF are killer cases, I own one, they are not really custom in the same way as a hand built personalized Barton, they are Fellini-like in style with air tight friction lids.

I ended up buying a GTF after ALOT of shopping around at all the above makers and a few more over the course of about 2 years. It was the best fit for me, but cases are like cues and people look for different things. Any of the above guys build cases way beyond the average case.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Those are all great choices. I learned my lesson buying cheaper cases.
If you decide on anything lower end, don't buy anything with an auto close latch on it. They will break on you in no time flat.

I agree with the GTF Celtic, I have a 2x4 and a 1x2. They are built to last.

Last edited:

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Think you should think long and hard, as you like your Instroke, what would you do to make it better? What would you change to improve it?

If the ANSWER is ZERO, why change? Get another Instroke.

Customer Case makers I would consider are John Barton, or Dennis Swift for less than a 2 year delivery, as they both work Out Of The Box, IMHO and will do this like Special configeration, Long Cases, for Long Cues. Deeper, Thinker Wider Pockets, etc.

If you have 2 years PLUS to Wait, talk to Rusty Melton. JMHO

Most of the other are like the guys build Cue Cases are like the Guy who is Customizing a 57 Chevy but your Options are Wheel, Color, Upholstery ONLY, not a TRUE Custom Car Builder like the GREAT GEORGE BARRIS the King of the Customizers. Again JMHO.

Trent

Banned
for the absolute best deal and suprt fasy service call dennis swift
i ordered a 3x6 all custom it took 3 weeks and cost 350
end thread.

BRKNRUN

Showin some A$$
Silver Member
I went with a Barton case. I looked at all the case makers...I liked what John did the best.

I had zero problems working with him. He was super helpful, and even took the time to talk with me on the phone for about an hour going over the details of the custom case I wanted.

I really like some of the features of his cases....the rubber bottom, and the magnetic puzzle latch.

If I had it to do over again...the only thing I would have done different is to have asked to have a case with no zippers and all the pockets have magnetic closures of some kind.

The case is sweet....It is comfortable and real easy to carry and access whatever I want.

For reference....the case is the "stealth" case on his website...The pictures don't do it any justice though.

edd

Trance Doc
Silver Member
I went with a Barton case. I looked at all the case makers...I liked what John did the best.

I had zero problems working with him. He was super helpful, and even took the time to talk with me on the phone for about an hour going over the details of the custom case I wanted.

I really like some of the features of his cases....the rubber bottom, and the magnetic puzzle latch.

If I had it to do over again...the only thing I would have done different is to have asked to have a case with no zippers and all the pockets have magnetic closures of some kind.

The case is sweet....It is comfortable and real easy to carry and access whatever I want.

For reference....the case is the "stealth" case on his website...The pictures don't do it any justice though.

I currently have an Instroke and have a Jim Murnak on order. I liked the look of the Murnak, plus the extra pocket space is a plus.

Jack Justis

CASEMAKER
Silver Member
Justis has one of the best exteriors, long lasting quality cases. And the interior stuff that seperates the cues and shafts is not padded.

Sure it is......we use just the right amount of padding that allows easy removal of the cue without putting excess friction against the finish.
PADDING.jpg

SPORT1.jpg

Bamacues

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have had several...GTF/Barton, Whitten, Justis, Murnak, Nittany Leathers, Ron Thomas, Dennis Swift, etc. They are all very good, and you would probably be pleased with any of them.

Personally, I have been carrying a custom Jim Murnak 3x6 for around 6 years now, lugging it around on a daily basis. It has held up extremely well, and I could not be happier.

Joe

Murnak2composite.jpg
[/IMG]

"Popeye"

living vicariously
Silver Member
for the absolute best deal and suprt fasy service call dennis swift
i ordered a 3x6 all custom it took 3 weeks and cost 350
end thread.

Totally agree! I love my Dennis Swift case. Got mine on eBay a few years back and sent it to Dennis to redo the red inside lining and inprint my nickname on the strap, which looks great. The case is probably 10-15years old and is the nuts. Ages beautifully. In fact, I think it looks better with age. My favorite thing about the case is the wide open pockets. I also had Whitten make me a 3x6, which took two months to build, but I only use if for BCA Vegas since I don't take three cues around with me that often. Allows me to have room for any new shafts I buy out there... It doesn't age as well as a Dennis Swift case and the pockets are smaller, but the leather looks so good.

Mark

Big Arm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will jump on the Dennis Swift band wagon. I will say that his are the only custom cases I have had, but I think they are nice. He built me a 3x5 pool cue case and a soft case for my snooker cue. He worked with me to make what I wanted and each one was different from his standard designs. He is now working on coin pouches for me to match the cases.