D Appleton is against pivoting for spin ?

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You didn't just try to impress me with someone you played's statistics, really? Man, that's really weak and you represent yourself as an expert with no credentials. Looks like you are the big mouth to me.
And it looks like you are afraid to name any of your pool accomplishments. Did you ever play in a tournament? Besides an 8 person bar table hole in the wall Friday night tournament

phreaticus

And it looks like you are afraid to name any of your pool accomplishments. Did you ever play in a tournament? Besides an 8 person bar table hole in the wall Friday night tournament
I must have missed spiderman’s “accomplishmentments”. So hilarious 🤣 🤣

1663888602817.jpeg

MajorMiscue

Rock Spinner
Gold Member
My trophies are all from shooting sports. I used pool to supplement my income and for beer money. I don't pretend to be an expert and I'm not the one trying to ride Allen Hopkins coat tails.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My trophies are all from shooting sports. I used pool to supplement my income and for beer money. I don't pretend to be an expert and I'm not the one trying to ride Allen Hopkins coat tails.
I'm sure you are the kinda guy that put himself through college playing pool.

Allen Hopkins has pretty impressive coat tails. I'd bet you can't come close to beating the guy riding them.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I'm sure you and Spidey both play pretty sporty - demonstrating that skill and knowledge aren't the same thing.

pj
chgo
For once I have to agree with you 100%. Neither Cookie nor I have the skills that you do to put up all the 2D illustrations on a computer that are totally meaningless for playing pool in real life. They sure are PURRRTY though.

Guaranteed that Cookie and I can demonstrate CTE and Shiskabob so far beyond you or anyone one here that your heads would spin.
Btw, you making a video to demonstrate anything your little old heart desired would be more than welcome when posted here. I'd watch it.

Let's not forget what the game of pool is really all about. He or she who makes the most balls, makes the game ball (8-9 ball), and wins the most sets are the WINNER. THAT is what pool is all about. And we can certainly help that process. It isn't a
course in science, math, geometry or anything along those lines that illustrates who is the most professorial.

Last edited:

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
You certainly DO pretend to be an expert with your big mouth about pool on this forum. How about you tell us what part of the country you live in so that you can have a chance to supplement your income even more. We'll pay a visit. Unfortunately, you might be giving up drinking for a while.

I don't ride his coat tails. We're good friends, unlike the drunks you hang around with. You think I don't learn a lot from him when we're playing? LMAO! You have nothing to teach because you know nothing. GTF outta here and go where you belong
which is a gun forum. You'll have a lot more to contribute. That is if the members there can stand your all-knowing attitude and
superiority complex.

MajorMiscue

Rock Spinner
Gold Member
You certainly DO pretend to be an expert with your big mouth about pool on this forum. How about you tell us what part of the country you live in so that you can have a chance to supplement your income even more. We'll pay a visit. Unfortunately, you might be giving up drinking for a while.

I don't ride his coat tails. We're good friends, unlike the drunks you hang around with. You think I don't learn a lot from him when we're playing? LMAO! You have nothing to teach because you know nothing. GTF outta here and go where you belong
which is a gun forum. You'll have a lot more to contribute. That is if the members there can stand your all-knowing attitude and
superiority complex.
My, fir a moron who picks fights he can't win on the internet you sure are full of yourself. Obviously, you are no pro and no instructor, you just make noises as if you knew what you were talking about until you start swoop and pivoting. Then it becomes very obvious you are a pretender. Now go brown nose your pro and write some more aiming nonsense. You are obviously triggered, try to regain control and go bother someone else.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
My, fir a moron who picks fights he can't win on the internet you sure are full of yourself. Obviously, you are no pro and no instructor, you just make noises as if you knew what you were talking about until you start swoop and pivoting. Then it becomes very obvious you are a pretender. Now go brown nose your pro and write some more aiming nonsense. You are obviously triggered, try to regain control and go bother someone else.
And what do you see yourself to be on a pool forum? A nuisance? a jerk? a troll? an instigator? a pretender? a troublemaker?
an ahole? a wannabe?

You very well may have been here before under a different screenname and gotten a long-term ban but have reinvented yourself with a new name until getting the hammer again. You certainly don't know a damn thing about what it takes to play the game. Won't matter, you're now on IGNORE. Adios, LOSER.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
And who plays better doesn’t illustrate who knows most. In fact, it’s often the opposite.

pj
chgo
What do you think most, or all of the pros know? Pool is about performance. He who wins vs. he who loses. If they know how to pocket balls and beat their competitor, that's what matters. They certainly don't have to know the physics or geometry of it.
What do you think Mosconi, Lassiter, Fats, or any of them from the very beginning knew that you deem as vital and important?
They knew from observation, trial and error, and the ability to control their nerves to perform under pressure.

Pool has absolutely nothing to do with being an ACADEMIC BOWL. You want to turn it into that but, too bad.

They're champions and the GOAT. You...nobody. Me...nobody.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Citing examples of unorthodox yet successful techniques accomplishes little. When “standard” recommendations are made by knowledgeable instructors, they are made because the overwhelming majority of players will learn more quickly and permanently. Of course there will be the odd one for whom an unorthodox technique will work. But It’s better to play the percentages and deviate from there cautiously and judiciously, true?

Doug (Not even close to being an instructor.)
Hi Doug,

I've felt the way you felt--the time-honored fundamentals are the best, and with good reason.

Yet, the unusual draw stroke I've described has helped a lot of players including ones who'd struggled with draw strokes using traditional mechanics and for many years.

As for stepping out cautiously, you or me or any player can try a few unorthodox strokes sometime, for about five minutes at the table, and see if they will work. There's no harm in trying something new, just to freshen the mind and body--but I think there is real harm when a student is told by the instructor, "Sure, you been playing for 20 years but you need to cue a bit lower and then hit 2,000 of those to get better."

To me, that's not a lesson, that's torture.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sure you and Spidey both play pretty sporty - demonstrating that skill and knowledge aren't the same thing.

pj
chgo
I think you know what you know about the basic stuff as much as anyone and probably a lot more then me. But in outside the box pool stuff you know very little. You have a closed mind to so called unconventional stuff. The problem with that is that lots and lots of real good pool players play with an outside the box mentality. They are creative and don't worry about physics and science when making shots and winning games.

MajorMiscue

Rock Spinner
Gold Member
And what do you see yourself to be on a pool forum? A nuisance? a jerk? a troll? an instigator? a pretender? a troublemaker?
an ahole? a wannabe?

You very well may have been here before under a different screenname and gotten a long-term ban but have reinvented yourself with a new name until getting the hammer again. You certainly don't know a damn thing about what it takes to play the game. Won't matter, you're now on IGNORE. Adios, LOSER.
Here, learn something:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I think there is real harm when a student is told by the instructor, "Sure, you been playing for 20 years but you need to cue a bit lower and then hit 2,000 of those to get better."
I think there’s real harm in teaching quick fixes as substitutes for fundamentals. A quick fix might fix a particular problem in the short term, but because they’re “outside the fundamentals box” they tend to limit or slow overall long term development. An “instructor” should know this.

pj
chgo

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I think there’s real harm in teaching quick fixes as substitutes for fundamentals.
Where was it said that fundamentals were abandoned? What exactly is a quick fix, especially if it works to pocket balls?
A quick fix might fix a particular problem in the short term, but because they’re “outside the fundamentals box” they tend to limit or slow overall long term development.

pj
chgo
You don't know that regarding development. I still would like to know what is "INSIDE the fundamentals box" and where is it etched in stone that nothing else can be attempted?

Your long term development has more than likely been hampered by an insistence to remain INSIDE the box instead of venturing a good bit outside of what you think is the "box". Boxes can expand, you know. (I guess you don't)
Example: PIVOTS with an angled cue and learning how effectively they work to do the job. Not from a mental exercise but from a physical one in action on the table with CB and OB.

MajorMiscue

Rock Spinner
Gold Member
Where was it said that fundamentals were abandoned? What exactly is a quick fix, especially if it works to pocket balls?

You don't know that regarding development. I still would like to know what is "INSIDE the fundamentals box" and where is it etched in stone that nothing else can be attempted?

Your long term development has more than likely been hampered by an insistence to remain INSIDE the box instead of venturing a good bit outside of what you think is the "box". Boxes can expand, you know. (I guess you don't)
Example: PIVOTS with an angled cue and learning how effectively they work to do the job. Not from a mental exercise but from a physical one in action on the table with CB and OB.
Physics doesn't change to fit your self centered agenda.