Dale Perry.... Is he shutting down?

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
His older customs, from his Pre ebay years, were so much higher quality, in my opinion. Like Night and Day compared to his Ebay auction cues. The Ebay cues do not hit bad, but I think that any decent player would feel the difference in feel and hit, comparing one of his Ebay cues to one of his older Pre ebay customs.

I agree. I owned an older DP that was nice. While I do not want any cue builder to go out of business, DP is no big loss. The brand had marketing issues (DP undermined their cues with cheap ebay sales). That ultimately ruined resale for the purchasers.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree. I owned an older DP that was nice. While I do not want any cue builder to go out of business, DP is no big loss. The brand had marketing issues (DP undermined their cues with cheap ebay sales). That ultimately ruined resale for the purchasers.
Look at his eBay feedback. He sold over 12k cues, all the feedback is positive. And that number does not count any cues he sold on his website outside of eBay. Maybe he made a lot more money this way than selling a few $1000 cues per year. He changed his business strategy. You can't fault a man for reorganizing his entire business plan. He has no obligation to make his early $1000 cues a collector item for the early purchasers. His obligation to them was to make them a nice cue they could play with. He did just that.

9ballscorpion

Look at his eBay feedback. He sold over 12k cues, all the feedback is positive. And that number does not count any cues he sold on his website outside of eBay. Maybe he made a lot more money this way than selling a few $1000 cues per year. He changed his business strategy. You can't fault a man for reorganizing his entire business plan. He has no obligation to make his early $1000 cues a collector item for the early purchasers. His obligation to them was to make them a nice cue they could play with. He did just that.

Yeah, and I feel that his older customs from the 90's should be in the $1,000+ range. You buy a cue for $150 to $200, then your expectations are probably not going to be very high, and that is why he maintained a 100% Feedback rating. I imagine most of those cues went to beginner players, or league players, that did not expect a very high quality cue. I think they are okay for that price range, in the same way that I think that Schmelke cues are okay for their price range. Just so the buyers do not intend on getting Joss or Schon quality, then yeah, they will probably be happy.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, and I feel that his older customs from the 90's should be in the $1,000+ range. You buy a cue for $150 to $200, then your expectations are probably not going to be very high, and that is why he maintained a 100% Feedback rating. I imagine most of those cues went to beginner players, or league players, that did not expect a very high quality cue. I think they are okay for that price range, in the same way that I think that Schmelke cues are okay for their price range. Just so the buyers do not intend on getting Joss or Schon quality, then yeah, they will probably be happy.
Have you ever owned or used one or just the usual piehole workout?? I've owned a few and seen a lot of them. Best cue for the $ maybe ever. Nicer than ANY Schmelke i've ever seen.

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe eight or nine years ago, whatever was the last SBE that DP had a sales booth. I'm there with my buddy who was looking for a nice cue to step up from his sneaky. Up walks a guy who pulls out an expensive DP butt that's broken bad at the joint. He wants to know what Dale's going to do about it.

DP goes into a rant that ever since that photo of Charlie Williams bending his cue on a break became famous bar bangers have been breaking cues. Yada, Yada, Yada.

From three feet away you can see how the pin was drilled right into a very bad grain twist that should have been rejected. Fifteen minutes later my buddy bought a very nice Pechauer.

Anyway that guy at the booth would have given him a bad review. And he did not buy a $200. Ebay special either. I never saw DP ever again.

TrevorB

Registered
Actually he is still selling on eBay.
He is merely selling off what he has left, he's been selling all of his shop equipment for the last couple months. When he was still making cues, he would post several cues per week for sale, now no more. Glad I got one before he closed up shop, I'm very happy with it.

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Join the crowd. NO ONE on here has a clue. ;)
Right. He was originally POOLSLEUTH many years ago (I've been on here since Mar of 2003). Then had two identities going at once until he got caught and settled with Cocobolo Cowboy. I always thought he was just sometimes obtuse....but now I think he is secretly a genius and has committed to this character creation for all of these years. I have met and played with many of my fellow AZ'ers (or even just know them on FB)...I wonder if anyone can say the same about Coco? Who is this mystery man?

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Right. He was originally POOLSLEUTH many years ago (I've been on here since Mar of 2003). Then had two identities going at once until he got caught and settled with Cocobolo Cowboy. I always thought he was just sometimes obtuse....but now I think he is secretly a genius and has committed to this character creation for all of these years. I have met and played with many of my fellow AZ'ers (or even just know them on FB)...I wonder if anyone can say the same about Coco? Who is this mystery man?

So we are breathing this dead horse again, as you are mosey talk to Mike Howerton to get the real scoop if your curious.

if you go to eBay Dale is still selling Cues, so I would say not done yet.

just coming around to end of business run.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So we are breathing this dead horse again, as you are mosey talk to Mike Howerton to get the real scoop if your curious.

if you go to eBay Dale is still selling Cues, so I would say not done yet.

just coming around to end of business run.
WTF??? Can you read????? Those are THE LAST cues. When they are gone that's it. What part of this do you not get????? He is NOT making cues any more. In case you forgot, the OP asked ' is Dale Perry shutting down'? The answer is YES. JFC.

ipoppa33

Shakedown Custom Rods
Silver Member
Don't forget his Boy's Club fiasco!

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The original DP’s are excellent cues. Bought one in 2000. It is well made and a good looker.