Danny Medina's fight is over

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
I knew him

Was out in Reno, Nevada for the Sands tournament. I had just lost my sponsor and Danny sensed I was down, he said " hey man lets go get some breakfast on me" Danny knew where all the best eating spots were in Reno. Like the fellow said once you got to know him he was a good man. I will never forget Mr. Medina - he was a Champion and a fun dude to be around. He had powerful no nonsense stroke that meant business - I wont forget him. God bless his family and friends.

Last edited:

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
Danny could grind it out for ten or twenty a game and the next day be in action for 500 a game and never blink an eye. He had no back down in him.

I watched Danny play my good buddy Ricky Van Uum (lil Ricky, Santa Monica Rich) for $5 a game, 9 ball on a bar table. Danny got 20 games winner in a couple of hours. Ricky said it before I could, one of the greatest displays of pool either one of us had ever seen.

Players aren't like Danny anymore. His passing was a big loss for the pool world.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Here's Dino and I at Felts Jan, 5 2013 @ 4:11pm, we hammed it up that day and he loved it.
Lost to Danny many times in match play and finals. Here's an icon :p:p:p:p that exemplifies when the balls are dropping. Tongue out/in :D. Great player, fearless.

Can't imagine how many stories you must have of just Colorado player's alone.
Nice post

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well since this thread is bumped to the top again I'll mention my round with Danny. The important thing is that in over fifty years, the battle with Danny remains the most fun I have ever had on a pool table! I had homefield advantage on a table gaffy enough it was a help. We were on a coin-op barbox and I'll swear the mechanism got noticeably warmer we were feeding quarters so often. With the blessing of homefield advantage we were dead even and it took about as long to rack as it took to play a game.

We were laughing and talking the whole time we were playing very serious pool on the table and after it was over I really felt we were friends. He made the road seem very appealing so in the end I tore up his phone number a few months later just to resist temptation. Aways a bit of regret I didn't take him up on going for a ride.

Rest in peace Danny!

Hu

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Well since this thread is bumped to the top again I'll mention my round with Danny. The important thing is that in over fifty years, the battle with Danny remains the most fun I have ever had on a pool table! I had homefield advantage on a table gaffy enough it was a help. We were on a coin-op barbox and I'll swear the mechanism got noticeably warmer we were feeding quarters so often. With the blessing of homefield advantage we were dead even and it took about as long to rack as it took to play a game.

We were laughing and talking the whole time we were playing very serious pool on the table and after it was over I really felt we were friends. He made the road seem very appealing so in the end I tore up his phone number a few months later just to resist temptation. Aways a bit of regret I didn't take him up on going for a ride.

Rest in peace Danny!

Hu
Cool memory Hu! I was able to watch Danny once in the early 80's. I was in college and stopped in a small pool room in Pueblo Colorado. This place had a full sized English snooker table. Danny was practicing by putting the object ball dead center of the table and the cue ball in the jaws of the corner pocket. Danny would drill that ball full length into the opposition corner at warp speed. He would make that ball at least five times in a row and then smile and do it again.

Cuebuddy>>>likes old threads.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
I watched Danny play my good buddy Ricky Van Uum (lil Ricky, Santa Monica Rich) for $5 a game, 9 ball on a bar table. Danny got 20 games winner in a couple of hours. Ricky said it before I could, one of the greatest displays of pool either one of us had ever seen.

Players aren't like Danny anymore. His passing was a big loss for the pool world.
I agree, he was unique and if he liked you would - had a huge heart, when I was young and in Denver, Colorado - my road pardner would not let me play him 9 ball, he was right on that one, I was not ready for Mr. Medina at that time. Definitely one of the best ever - Meucci original piano cue = Danny Medina.

Csim

I've met Danny Medina a number of times. Once if memory serves, in Lincoln at Madsen's in 94-95. I am pretty sure Danny Harriman was there an won the McDermott tour tournament. I agree with the sentiments from this thread.

I have a story I will share that I heard from multiple people. I went to college in Kearney Ne and played a lot. Danny had an appointment in Grand Island- near by to play. Max (Jr) Perry was the other party involved.

Max didn't show up. Danny racked and broke over and over for about an hour waiting.

The story is this. The witnesses told me he spectacled the 1 ball. I said Wtf is that?

They said he broke chips off the 1 and left it yellow with white speckles all over it. Then they said the yellow chips were scattered on the table.