Danny Petralba RIP

overlord

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very sorry to hear this. He was a fine player and a nice person. RIP Danny. Was there any info on why he passed?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Oh no! Danny was such a nice guy. He couldn't be that old either, maybe in his 50's. I have to wonder if it was Covid related. Danny was another undercover Filipino player who lived in this country (Los Angeles area) and played mostly on the West Coast. He played pool as an avocation, but it took a very good player to beat him. He always had a smile on his face every time I saw him. What a wonderful disposition he had. Danny will be missed by all who knew him. :angel2:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Oh no! Danny was such a nice guy. He couldn't be that old either, maybe in his 50's. I have to wonder if it was Covid related. Danny was another undercover Filipino player who lived in this country (Los Angeles area) and played mostly on the West Coast. He played pool as an avocation, but it took a very good player to beat him. He always had a smile on his face every time I saw him. What a wonderful disposition he had. Danny will be missed by all who knew him. :angel2:

Danny and I were friends for many years. He was such a nice guy and an excellent pool player who beat many big names in tournaments. I am truly saddened by this. I loved hanging around with Danny. This is heartbreaking news and I would like to find out what happened.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
I'm very sorry to hear this. I played Danny many times around the Los Angeles area. He was a good guy and a good player.

dardusm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I didn't know him but have heard his name before. Here is his obituary. He was 65. The second link is of him playing in the Andy Mercer tournament in 2015. May he RIP.

https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/north-hollywood-ca/daniel-petralba-9305057

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=362UsLaJ-hQ

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played Danny 1P several times at Plush Pockets. Good player and a real nice guy. RIP

cuetechasaurus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Danny was a good friend of mine and I’m heartbroken over it. I am also trying to find out what happened. RIP my friend

Slickstick9

Play on
Silver Member
Danny was a class act, tough player. He came many years to Rum Runner tournament.
R.I.P. Danny. You will be missed very much.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Danny was a good friend of mine and I’m heartbroken over it. I am also trying to find out what happened. RIP my friend

He died of natural causes last Thursday evening in Lancaster, CA - found in his room deceased. I will miss Danny. We stayed friends on Facebook but like most of my old pool buddies, I lost touch with him.

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Sorry to hear of Danny’s passing.
I did not know him, but by the tone of all the messages he was top flight and will be dearly missed.
May he Rest In Peace.

Will Prout

neolux

Registered
HI Jay. I knew Danny from the House of Billiards in Sherman Oaks from the early 1990s. He was in his 40s back then. When I played him for the hot seat at an 8-ball tournament at Sharky's Billiards (in Lancaster, CA) back in January, 2020, he told me he was 65. Other credible sources say that he has been telling everyone he was 65 for 5 years. Danny may have been close to 70. Looked as young as ever when I saw him last. Another great player in billiard heaven. Rocco

Last edited:

cuehobby

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Oh wow! My condolences to his family and friends.
I knew Danny when I was a teenager, good friend with my dad and watching them play often 9 ball; sets after sets for some money too.
He's the only one I know who played with a light cue, something like 16 oz.
Such a nice guy on and off the table.
RIP

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

See you there. Danny was a damn good pool player but an even better person!

I won a big match with Danny once at the Sands tourney in Reno. It went hill-hill and I made a good out to win. Danny had a big smile on his face when he shook my hand. He said, "You played good Jay. You can win this tournament." (It was the second chance event). I did win three matches in a row over Dave Piona, Lorrie De Leon and Danny to reach the top 9-12, where I got knocked out. No matter, Danny's compliment was enough for me. :thumbup2:

Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
See you there. Danny was a damn good pool player but an even better person!

I won a big match with Danny once at the Sands tourney in Reno. It went hill-hill and I made a good out to win. Danny had a big smile on his face when he shook my hand. He said, "You played good Jay. You can win this tournament." (It was the second chance event). I did win three matches in a row over Dave Piona, Lorrie De Leon and Danny to reach the top 9-12, where I got knocked out. No matter, Danny's compliment was enough for me. :thumbup2:

I don't know Dave but beating Danny and Lorrie in one tournament is quite an accomplishment. I consider them to both be great shortstops. I played Lorrie at Hard Times and lost 7 - 1, then we played in the Swanee a month later and he didn't even remember me. I beat him hill/hill in the Swanee at Hollywood, then he remembered me LOL.

Danny was always positive somehow. I hope this doesn't sound bad but realistically he gave up a life, his marriage, everything he had to play pool. That's all he wanted to do. He was a hardcore pool player. He knew all the top Filipino players and spoke to them on the phone all the time. I played Danny a lot, held my own but rarely came out on top. He was very talented. I learned the Filipino moves from him.

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
RIP Danny.
Danny and I speak the same dialect.
Met him at Jay's 8-ball Invitational and Expo 2 decades ago.
Saw him again in Las Vegas in the Gabriel's Open.
Saw him play at Shooters' memorial weekend tournament .
He could play.

overlord

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know Dave but beating Danny and Lorrie in one tournament is quite an accomplishment. I consider them to both be great shortstops. I played Lorrie at Hard Times and lost 7 - 1, then we played in the Swanee a month later and he didn't even remember me. I beat him hill/hill in the Swanee at Hollywood, then he remembered me LOL.

Danny was always positive somehow. I hope this doesn't sound bad but realistically he gave up a life, his marriage, everything he had to play pool. That's all he wanted to do. He was a hardcore pool player. He knew all the top Filipino players and spoke to them on the phone all the time. I played Danny a lot, held my own but rarely came out on top. He was very talented. I learned the Filipino moves from him.

The sad part is the action died at SOHB. The last time I ran into Danny was in Sherman Oaks and he gave me a healthy spot in One Pocket and I beat him and he was a total gentlemen.

If memory serves he smoked a lot. Pool can be a cruel mistress. I always liked Danny, he had a very sunny personality.

I heard the Ron died too. He worked at SOHB for years and was a fine player and lived behind the pool hall in the contiguous apartment building to the rear.

He had COPD. Very nice guy.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
The sad part is the action died at SOHB. The last time I ran into Danny was in Sherman Oaks and he gave me a healthy spot in One Pocket and I beat him and he was a total gentlemen.

If memory serves he smoked a lot. Pool can be a cruel mistress. I always liked Danny, he had a very sunny personality.

I heard the Ron died too. He worked at SOHB for years and was a fine player and lived behind the pool hall in the contiguous apartment building to the rear.

He had COPD. Very nice guy.

Yes, I forgot he still smoked. Danny and I met up a couple of times and we played at Sherman Oaks. He was living in a friend's guest house if I recall.

Ron, the guy that worked there forever died? Last I saw him 6 or 7 years ago he didn't look well. I think he even worked there when it was Mother's. I hung around there sometimes when Buffalo, Mark Jacobs and Little Jeff were all there. It was a good place to learn and get cheap games. Did you know those guys?

Last edited: