Darren Appleton world 10 ball champ!!!!!

derekdisco

We woulda won state!
Silver Member
Fatboy said:
thats a good thing,

Fatboy, you know what its time for you to do buddy. . .

sleeping-boy_AJM525.jpg

Spade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
congrats to Dynamite! he played strong and earned it.
had a feeling he was gonna win....
2 world crowns for UKback to back!
wow!

chilli66

the chilli is back!
Silver Member
skor said:
The British Invasion....

I guess you have to be English and have your name start with a "D" to become a world champion these days... :D

First Daryl and now Darren.

Congrats on the win!
I wish I could have seen it.... from checking the scores it looked like Wu had a great comeback there...

What about us Englishmen with "D" as the second letter in our names? Any hope for us?:)

And of course, well done Dazzler!

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Darren Appleton is a deserving champion. He played with heart and guts all week. Twice he was faced with difficult run outs in hill-hill matches, facing elimination if he failed. Both times he came through.

In the final match, facing the best player all week, he once again battled tooth and nail right down to the wire. He could have easily folded, considering the pressure from the enormity of the moment and the relentless play of Mr. Wu. For the record Wu would be 1st tier anywhere on the planet. I love watching this man play. Not like any 19 year old I ever saw. Wu is the most Zen like pool player I ever saw. He sees, he decides and he does. Minimum of effort and total focus on the job at hand. No one has to like it playing this young man. And he kept coming at Darren the whole match.

How Darren won I don't really know. Even he said after that Wu is the better player. Darren just refused to quit, making gutsy shot after shot, each time with the match on the line. It has to be one of the best final matches I ever saw. Two great players fighting to the end, neither giving an inch. Both these men wanted to win this title, that was evident. I'm sure the Accu-Stats ratings on this match would have both players well into the .900's. There were only a couple of missed balls the whole match. Very few safeties were played, and it was a battle of one great run out after another. A complete contrast to the desultory semifinals of the day before.

Those who were fortunate to see this match won't soon forget it. This is a DVD worth having, if it is ever made available.

Last edited:

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
jay helfert said:
Darren Appleton is a deserving champion. He played with heart and guts all week. Twice he was faced with difficult run outs in hill-hill matches, facing elimination if he failed. Both times he came through.

In the final match, facing the best player all week, he once again battled tooth and nail right down to the wire. He could have easily folded considering all the pressure from the enormity of the moment and the relentless play of Mr. Wu. For the record Wu would be 1st tier anywhere on the planet. I love watching this man play. Not like any 19 year old I ever saw. Wu is the most Zen like pool player I ever saw. He sees, he decides and he does. Minimum of effort and total focus on the job at hand.

How would you compare him to KIETH at 19?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
ribdoner said:
How would you compare him to KIETH at 19?

A very good question. Keith was the all time "natural" at pool. He could do anything but make the balls talk. And it all looked so effortless. Even the hardest shots he handled with seeming ease. In that respect they are very similar. Wu also makes all shots look easy. He is a little more business like than Keith, but just as loose and relaxed at the table.

If only we could transport Keith back to age 19 and put them together. What a delicious battle that would be. Of course Keith was terrorizing the world playing for cash back then, and Wu is a tournament champion. But their styles are somewhat similar, minimal effort for maximum gain.

Keith was more of a talker and Wu is the stong silent type, letting his cue do all the talking. These two would have had mutual respect for each other though. Two young toreadors at the top of the game. With both these men, you just feel like they will make everything they look at. I never expected Keith to miss and I have the same feeling watching Wu. And there are few players that you can feel that way about while watching them shoot. Almost every player has a threshold where he looks vulnerable. It just isn't there with Wu or with Keith in his prime.

Bottom line, Keith was more explosive and intimidating. Wu is more methodical and workmanlike. If they were to play matches, it could go either way. I suspect one day Keith would win and one day Wu would win. There is no clear cut favorite in this match up.

Last edited:

JohnPT

"Prove it!"
Silver Member
I wonder if the newly crowned champ has gambled with some of his winnings yet. One more thing that is missing from this championship is the action reports.

memikey

Never Has Been
Silver Member
Don't forget that depending on how you look at it, in some ways Darren Appleton might be considered to be in pool terms even "younger" than 19 taking into account that he only started playing 8/9/10 ball American pool and on American equipment about '5 minutes' ago:smile:

Great match, two great players, worthy champion, we're all proud of you Daz and hopefully this will inspire even more of the talented uk8ball guys to take the American version of the game more seriously.

Renegade

Consume Mass Quantities!
Silver Member
I thought darryl peach was the dazzler?? if darren's the dazzler, who's the dynamite? i always thought darryl was the dazzler because, well, you know, you get "dazzled" by the light bouncing off his head ;) and darren's dynamite because well, it just sounds better. darryl "dynamite" peach vs darren "dynamite" appleton? granted, they both play "dazzling" pool and both can be "dynamite" (or is it dyNOmite?) at the pool table,maybe it'll be easier to just call darryl "peaches" and darren "apples" so we can tell our apples from our peaches.... next year's mosconi cup champions will be fruit salad.... who makes up these nicknames anyway??!!

in any case, CONGRATULATIONS to darren (dynamite or dazzler) appleton!!

memikey

Never Has Been
Silver Member
Renegade said:
I thought darryl peach was the dazzler?? if darren's the dazzler, who's the dynamite? i always thought darryl was the dazzler because, well, you know, you get "dazzled" by the light bouncing off his head ;) and darren's dynamite because well, it just sounds better. darryl "dynamite" peach vs darren "dynamite" appleton? granted, they both play "dazzling" pool and both can be "dynamite" (or is it dyNOmite?) at the pool table,maybe it'll be easier to just call darryl "peaches" and darren "apples" so we can tell our apples from our peaches.... next year's mosconi cup champions will be fruit salad.... who makes up these nicknames anyway??!!

in any case, CONGRATULATIONS to darren (dynamite or dazzler) appleton!!

:smile: Good point......so for any who don't already know....

By nickname Darren is Dynamite Daz (Daz in this case simply being a commonly used shortened form of the christian name "Darren" and has nothing at all to do with the word "dazzler").

By nickname Daryl is Dazzler, though Daz happens to also be a commonly used shortened form of the christian name Daryl.

Like the fruit salad comparison. There'll probably be sour grapes at the Mosconi Cup and the next ladies event may also involve a few nice pairs:p

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
jay helfert said:
A very good question. Keith was the all time "natural" at pool. He could do anything but make the balls talk. And it all looked so effortless. Even the hardest shots he handled with seeming ease. In that respect they are very similar. Wu also makes all shots look easy. He is a little more business like than Keith, but just as loose and relaxed at the table.

If only we could transport Keith back to age 19 and put them together. What a delicious battle that would be. Of course Keith was terrorizing the world playing for cash back then, and Wu is a tournament champion. But their styles are somewhat similar, minimal effort for maximum gain.

Keith was more of a talker and Wu is the stong silent type, letting his cue do all the talking. These two would have had mutual respect for each other though. Two young toreadors at the top of the game. With both these men, you just feel like they will make everything they look at. I never expected Keith to miss and I have the same feeling watching Wu. And there are few players that you can feel that way about while watching them shoot. Almost every player has a threshold where he looks vulnerable. It just isn't there with Wu or with Keith in his prime.

Bottom line, Keith was more explosive and intimidating. Wu is more methodical and workmanlike. If they were to play matches, it could go either way. I suspect one day Keith would win and one day Wu would win. There is no clear cut favorite in this match up.

THANKS, as always, for your reply.

i had the good fortune of watching KEITH play on a number of occasions. Caught Wu on the tube but that's not like the real deal. Got me motivated to check him out.:smile:

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congrats Dynamite!

Great to see 2 former UK8ball (blackball) players now reigning world champions. This is going to help popularize US style pool in the UK and hopefully Australia.

Expect a flood of sharp shooting snooker style players in coming years who grew up potting at tiny pockets.

Colin

Renegade

Consume Mass Quantities!
Silver Member
memikey said:
:smile: Good point......so for any who don't already know....

By nickname Darren is Dynamite Daz (Daz in this case simply being a commonly used shortened form of the christian name "Darren" and has nothing at all to do with the word "dazzler").

By nickname Daryl is Dazzler, though Daz happens to also be a commonly used shortened form of the christian name Daryl.

Like the fruit salad comparison. There'll probably be sour grapes at the Mosconi Cup and the next ladies event may also involve a few nice pairs:p

Thanks for clearing things up! i think the mosconi cup could use a few pairs as well! ;)

gopi-1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jay helfert said:

I wish you've seen Efren when he was 19 years old, he was a sight to behold Jay! If you're still there in PI, try asking the old timers how Efren was like when he was in his teens and how he compares with an Efren 5-15 years ago, a 1995 Efren would've gotten the orange crush from a teen Efren! :eek:

Hail Mary Shot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
gopi-1 said:
I wish you've seen Efren when he was 19 years old, he was a sight to behold Jay! If you're still there in PI, try asking the old timers how Efren was like when he was in his teens and how he compares with an Efren 5-15 years ago, a 1995 Efren would've gotten the orange crush from a teen Efren! :eek:

I believe Efren said this that he was at his best during his teens. anyway, that would certainly validate how strong Parica was during that time. since Parica was the number 1 one during those years. how the man has fallen off is an enigma. probably Efren has more charisma than Parica.

Big-Tattoo

I'm back
Silver Member
ukpooladdict said:
Brilliant result for Daz..i'm speechless, Uk now have the current 9 and 10 ball champions and europe hold all 4 world championships!!!
Daz really deserves this he is so focused it's scary, he is the ultimate professional.
You forget also the Snooker WM Title from Ronnie:thumbup:

Hail Mary Shot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Big-Tattoo said:
You forget also the Snooker WM Title from Ronnie:thumbup:

screw Ronnie. inspite of how great he is in snooker, his attitude is intolerable. maybe him and the pearl could sweat it out playing 9 or 10 Ball. let's see who wins both in games and in character. :thumbup:

THE NUGGET is still the most affable champion snooker player and earns my respect.