DCC 9 Ball - Who's left?

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw him play poor shape on ''one'' ball. Ended in a hung 5 ball, but SVB had too play bank shape to get from 5-6. Otherwise saw no other errors. Only reason he hung the 5 was cue ball speed grabbing a little before the carom finished. Plus the 5 ball is orange and it picks up dirt more than those striped balls.
Good point, damned orange 5 balls…….

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So you would have turned away close to 500 players just this year alone???

Surely, there's a better answer than that. It sounds like Bob J. has proposed a fix already. Hopefully they go his direction and not your's.
He proposed it quite a while ago iirc. They're not going to change. I really don't care if you like my idea or not to be honest. Probably won't really matter because unless world-wide scheduling conflicts aren't worked out this event will continue to lose big-name players. Its already 90% dead money. The rest are just field fillers there to have fun.

dendweller

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
"post flood Simonis cloth"? Jeremey Jones also briefly mentioned on the stream early in the event about an issue with the cloth and it having been an issue from the new factory or something like that. I guess he was talking about the recovery after their flood: https://www.simoniscloth.com/flooding/
Kinda think that pool players come up in a world where they're dealing with slow cloth, fast cloth, new rails, old rails. I find it hard to believe that this cloth was that slow that it screwed up everyone's games. If it did, simonis is really screwing the pouch.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've posted my buy-back format proposal before, but in case you missed it the first time....

Basic:

Run mini-qualifiers with groups of 8 in a single-elimination format. Once a group starts, it plays continuously until there is one winner with brief breaks (10 min?) between matches. The winners of each group are into the second level. The 7 losers of each group of 8 can buy back if they want.

As soon as you have 4 players ready at the second level, run a 4 player single-elimination to produce one qualifier for the 32-player final level event. Again, they play back-to-back matches The three losers at that level can get back in if they want at the first level. You continue running first level mini-qualifiers and second level elims until you reach 1024 total entries (32 finalists) or you reach a time cut-off.

Some details:

The 8-4-32 grouping could be 4-4-64 or something else.

Early signups could know their group start time weeks before the event.

It's possible to arrive and enter after the start of a tournament as long as more mini-qualifiers are being formed.

It would be possible for one player to enter more than two times if they start in an early group and the cut-off isn't reached.

If the 32-player final bracket isn't filled, the byes can go to the earliest qualifiers to encourage promptness.

Match times would be easy to estimate. It's mostly your group start time (which can be estimated pretty accurately) and then you will play two or three matches back-to-back. For the final 32, it is simply five rounds of single elimination. For the nine ball finals, those five rounds could be scheduled at 11, 1:30, 4, 6:30 and 9 on Saturday. Any 9-ball qualifier started on Friday has to be able to finish on Friday, so there would be a mandatory cut-off time to get a midnight or earlier finish.

The one pocket could start as soon as the bank pool started to wind down, and similarly for the nine ball. You don't need all of the players present to start an event -- 64 is plenty. And the bank pool finalists don't even have to enter the one pocket until their bank pool is finished.

The runner-up in each mini of 8 could get his entry fee back with a corresponding payout for the losers at the second level. That would encourage buy-backs.

The main point for Derby City is that this format has no waiting for slow matches at the end of a round to see who is in the draw. The tables are kept busy. I think they could have 1024 entries in each event.

Last edited:

Bahgs

Again, I call back to the Rogan interview. Rogan pressed Fedor many times about "the best in the world" and Fedor remained humble throughout. At the end, Joe brought it up again and Fedor, with a coy smiles, answers "maybe I already am". I think by the end of this year, we will all agree.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This plan vs. limiting the entries.

It's a no-brainer. Come on Greg, take a look at this. Surely someone close to him could present this to him. I know he doesn't want to change but something needs to give.

Thanks for sharing this again.

FunChamp

I can't find anywhere who won MOT. I'm guessing Gorst since he was leading before he won the 9 ball. Anyone confirm?

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I can't find anywhere who won MOT. I'm guessing Gorst since he was leading before he won the 9 ball. Anyone confirm?
Gorst. He had already wrapped it up on Saturday when he was in the last 3 without Chohan in that group. Only Pagulayan could have leaped over Chohan, but couldn’t catch Gorst.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure the late last day even mattered. How many players did it really affect? 10? How many fans were left that it affected? The in person fans that left their "normal" time saw Efren play, and the one pocket finals. They were probably more than satisfied. All of us online fans did we really lose anything? We slept, woke up, and watched the finals in the AM.

What I as a fan was most concerned about is the lack of food. That's what would keep me away from attending in person again.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure the late last day even mattered. How many players did it really affect? 10? How many fans were left that it affected? The in person fans that left their "normal" time saw Efren play, and the one pocket finals. They were probably more than satisfied. All of us online fans did we really lose anything? We slept, woke up, and watched the finals in the AM.

What I as a fan was most concerned about is the lack of food. That's what would keep me away from attending in person again.
I'm ready to plan my first trip there for next year and I'm going to demand, in writing, an AZ meet-up. There it's in writing.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He proposed it quite a while ago iirc. They're not going to change. I really don't care if you like my idea or not to be honest. Probably won't really matter because unless world-wide scheduling conflicts aren't worked out this event will continue to lose big-name players. Its already 90% dead money. The rest are just field fillers there to have fun.
But that's the "entire" point of the DCC! That's why I played several times, and many other players who have no chance. There are plenty of pro only events. This event is designed from day 1 for amateurs, mixed with some pros. Greg even makes the entry fee for the banks less than the spectator fee (or at least used to) to encourage player participation.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is Tylers post accurate? The years I attended, they cleaned all the ball sets at night (I think, I might be remembering wrong). The post flood simonis being slow I don't buy that for a second. Maybe the tables were just dirty.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is Tylers post accurate? The years I attended, they cleaned all the ball sets at night (I think, I might be remembering wrong). The post flood simonis being slow I don't buy that for a second. Maybe the tables were just dirty.
None of the tables looked slow on the matches I watched. That read more like an advertisement if you ask me.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've posted my buy-back format proposal before, but in case you missed it the first time....

Basic:

Run mini-qualifiers with groups of 8 in a single-elimination format. Once a group starts, it plays continuously until there is one winner with brief breaks (10 min?) between matches. The winners of each group are into the second level. The 7 losers of each group of 8 can buy back if they want.

As soon as you have 4 players ready at the second level, run a 4 player single-elimination to produce one qualifier for the 32-player final level event. Again, they play back-to-back matches The three losers at that level can get back in if they want at the first level. You continue running first level mini-qualifiers and second level elims until you reach 1024 total entries (32 finalists) or you reach a time cut-off.

Some details:

The 8-4-32 grouping could be 4-4-64 or something else.

Early signups could know their group start time weeks before the event.

It's possible to arrive and enter after the start of a tournament as long as more mini-qualifiers are being formed.

It would be possible for one player to enter more than two times if they start in an early group and the cut-off isn't reached.

If the 32-player final bracket isn't filled, the byes can go to the earliest qualifiers to encourage promptness.

Match times would be easy to estimate. It's mostly your group start time (which can be estimated pretty accurately) and then you will play two or three matches back-to-back. For the final 32, it is simply five rounds of single elimination. For the nine ball finals, those five rounds could be scheduled at 11, 1:30, 4, 6:30 and 9 on Saturday. Any 9-ball qualifier started on Friday has to be able to finish on Friday, so there would be a mandatory cut-off time to get a midnight or earlier finish.

The one pocket could start as soon as the bank pool started to wind down, and similarly for the nine ball. You don't need all of the players present to start an event -- 64 is plenty. And the bank pool finalists don't even have to enter the one pocket until their bank pool is finished.

The runner-up in each mini of 8 could get his entry fee back with a corresponding payout for the losers at the second level. That would encourage buy-backs.

The main point for Derby City is that this format has no waiting for slow matches at the end of a round to see who is in the draw. The tables are kept busy. I think they could have 1024 entries in each event.
that’s like satellite poker tournaments.