Dennis Orcollo v Fedor Gorst (9 Ball/ Race to 90) July 30-August 1

cesarmorales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After two days it is 60 to 42, Gorst ahead. It looked like Orcollo's biggest problem is with the breaks and getting balls past the head string.

tableroll

Rolling Thunder
Silver Member
It was even boring in the TAR days, after the novelty of the first few wore away.
I think they get a little boring after awhile. I would rather see two races to 9. A race to 9 nine ball. Then a race to 9 eight ball. And a race to 5 in bank pool. Maybe throw in a little one pocket. Some variation would be nice but a long race is not that interesting.

Last edited:

overlord

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not for the first time, I agree. These long races, I feel, are what some players want….and they lose spectators…and side action.
I suggested a few years ago, if they want prolonged action, then play short sets…best out of.
I think it will increase the betting greatly….therefore the interest.
I‘m from the era where 90% of our gambling was by the game….had a guy at the Rack in the late 70s ask me to play for $2,000…
……race to 15….told him I was looking for action, not a career.
That's funny......................

tomatoshooter

A simple question, aren't these huge mega races getting a little boring or is it just me? I mean the first one back in the day when Earl and Efren went at it in that race to 120 in Hong Kong in which Efren pulled out a win in the last day was interesting as a novelty but now? Or maybe it's just that these players having nothing better to do with their time between tournaments, who knows I just find it's getting a bit old.
I'd even prefer them play several sets. I don't car if they play 3 sets a day and have a daily winner, or if they come up with some other way to arrange it. I don't know how many of Earl's matches I've watched, several more than once, and I still haven't finished watching the race to 120 against Efren. I think the problem with a long race is that if it's close, you only need to watch the last 20 games, and if it isn't close you could have declared the winner much earlier.

Endurance and stamina are not what great pool is about
I agree, but I think this is a different level of endurance, like comparing the endurance of a marathon runner with an ultramarathon runner. I think it takes a level of endurance to play high level pool for an hour, two hours is probably as long as match should take. I want to see guys shooting at each other and which one proves he is the better player, not which one can hang on longer.

Reactions: sjm

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think winner break format with no break rules Dennis runs over him.
Let me put some context on that.

Fedor has been winning 60% of the games. From the "rule of 60," that means their results are those expected of two players 60 points apart.
So these would be results seen as typical if the world's top player faced the 100th best player (also about a 60 point gap).

Now you're claiming we can tweak some regulations about the way each game begins that essentially would reverse their fate? Is that not a problem? Can you imagine if after four rounds two golfers showed the score gap expected of world #1 and world #100. And then someone claimed if we played from a different tee the results would reverse? Or if we authorized a different golf tee to be pushed into the ground. Or we switched from place your own tee to an official pushes a tee into the ground?

Things like endurance playing a big role, racking playing a big role, and break rules playing a big role are vestiges of gambling being a prime driver, where the game is secondary and the thrust is to find and employ your relative advantage for the particular situation. That may be an interesting thing in its own right. But for tournaments or for major contests amongst top players, if details of the rack and break make a material difference, we are doing a disservice to the complex mix of finely honed skills that lead to the skill difference between two players.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who else has Fedor played in long races?
How did he fare?

Like to see Filler and SVB try him.

He has tremendous class and the more I see how he is, the more I like him.

How long until he can become a US citizen? Mosconi Cup with him on our team will be special.

DaWizard

I don't like to watch long races, but to me they are interesting because it shows - kind of- who the better player is if you eliminate short race variance.

I once played to 120. I worked in a snookercafe 15yrs ago. Me and the guy that cleaned the tables played alot of pool. We were equal matched and did a long race. I barely won. Wonder where he is nowadays...

iba7467

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great out by Fedor. They started 3 hours later today and it is on Twitch for free.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230801_091736_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230801_091736_Chrome.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 69

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I think winner break format with no break rules Dennis runs over him.
Honestly, I don't feel that there even exists a break rule in which Fedor doesn't have the advantage. Fedor's edge in breaking would be even greater at 10ball.

You can add to that point that there is no player in the world that can run over Fedor. There are a few that can beat him, but the list is fairly short. Fedor's not really an underdog to anyone in a long race right now.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Dennis plays a ball worse since he stopped playing in the USA.
…..the visa problem took the wind out of his sails.
…..and the action scene over here is worse off

i wonder where his 1pkt game is at now. he was at the top..

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Honestly, I don't feel that there even exists a break rule in which Fedor doesn't have the advantage. Fedor's edge in breaking would be even greater at 10ball.

You can add to that point that there is no player in the world that can run over Fedor. There are a few that can beat him, but the list is fairly short. Fedor's not really an underdog to anyone in a long race right now.
Last Turning Stone or 2 was watching Fedor be Fedor. Strickland watching muttered something about him never having to make tough shots....kind of the point.

Last edited: