Dennis Orcullo - Bad Form

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Gold Member
Silver Member
Last night during the SVB vs Dennis CSI barbox 8b match Dennis melted down and quit.

A few days ago I listened to Jay Helfert in the booth saying "Dennis has no quit in him; I've never seen him give up in a match", this comment made as Dennis was making an impressive comeback attempt after being down, I think, 6-0 in a CSI 9b match. Immediately I thought to myself, I'm aware of 3 times Dennis has given up and quit matches.

Back to last night.

Shane was playing brilliantly and was having great success with his break and Dennis was struggling with his break. When the score was approx 5 or 6 to 1 in favor of Shane, Dennis went over to the commentator booth and complained about the magic rack. He then complained to the TD who got him a new magic rack.

Dennis' body language in the chair was clearly the 'I give up' look and when it was his turn again to break, I think it was 7 or 8 - 2, he went to the table, still wearing that same body language, racked, then broke the balls wildly and the cue ball went flying off the table.

He then went over by his chair and began unsrewing his cues and John the TD came over and called a forfeit.

The rack wasn't the problem, Shane was having no such issues.

Dennis DOES have quit in him. :(

I fully understand that with the alternate break format there was little to no chance for him to win but you just shouldn't give up and a big concern over this type behavior is that it shows total disrespect for anyone who might have bet on him.

The other instances I recall were:

at the 14.1 challenge final at DCC vs Max Eberle a few years ago, Dennis was far from being out of it but he kept peering over the bleacher seats trying to watch Alex in another final and he finally just raked the balls and conceded so he could go watch the rest of Alex's match. Just crazy! :confused:

Dennis was in an action match, I believe at another DCC where he felt like he was trapped in the game with the spot he gave and he refused to continue and whined and whined about it.

In another DCC match, maybe a year or two later, playing against SVB in pb, Dennis actually took a ball from the ball box to use it to see if a ball would fit in a tight spot where he was intending to shoot. The look of disbelief on Shanes face was priceless as he (SVB) asked Dennis to hold up while he summoned a ref. I want to say it was Jay who came over but maybe it was another ref. It was called a foul and I'm pretty sure Dennis conceded that match, also.

My opinion is that this behavior from anyone, let alone one of the best in the world, is disrespectful and unsportsmanlike.

best,
brian kc

Last edited:

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I agree Dennis O. has showed poor sportsmanship here in the states many times. He's having a bad year too. Johnnyt

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dennis can't beat Shane in any game ,, Shane has him beat before the first rack is broken ,, there are many players who I would take to play Shane before I got to Dennis

Kris_b1104

House Pro in my own home.
Silver Member
I fully understand that with the alternate break format there was little to no chance for him to win but you just shouldn't give up and a big concern over this type behavior is that it shows total disrespect for anyone who might have bet on him.

People bet on pros playing 8ball on a barbox?

jk. But I agree, Dennis does seem to get in his feelings a lot and show no care for the match or opponent. I remember in the USBTC he was playing a match and knew he was going to lose, so he starts playing loose and in one shot he shot behind the back, even though the shot didn't require it. Doesn't seem like much but I thought it was disrespectful to his opponent.

Maybe Dennis is still salty over the US Open finals? But this is my favorite rivalry in pool right now, I love watching me a Shane/Dennis match. I just finished watching their TAR match race to 100 10-Ball and it was incredible, trust me Dennis didn't have any give up in that match.

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree Dennis O. has showed poor sportsmanship here in the states many times. He's having a bad year too. Johnnyt

From stories and a few times seeing things in person, Dennis and Mika are two pros you need to watch when they are at the table or you will end up having a foul hidden from you.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you're making a bigger deal than what it really is.

Shane left China complaining about the pool tables after losing too.

Its all part of being a pool player. Play enough pool, there'll be instances of quit.

Its all part of being a pool player. Play enough pool, there'll be instances of quit.

When was the last time you saw Shane quit a match mid tournament?

Complaining and quitting are two entirely different animals.

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It's part of any sport. Really, it's part of being human.

As far as some of the things Jay says about Dennis, well... Jay is a little biased towards Dennis. I probably would be too, if I was good friends with Dennis, so no harm/no foul.

I do agree that KC is making a big deal about it. There is no world organization that governs all of pool (and don't anyone say the WPA, I'll beat you in the head with a rock), so players play on their own money or someone else's money. If the players were getting paid a salary, they should shape up their attitudes, but most of them barely have a sponsorship.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Complaining and quitting are two entirely different animals.

Absolutely. I think it's important for the players to point out problems with the equipment even as they are doing their best to cope with the problems. It's better to complain first to the management, but sometimes management is deaf.

I think all tournaments need to implement some kind of penalty for quitting (or even failing to try to win).

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
poor example - imo, you are comparing apples to aardvarks.

unscrewing because your opponent is playing better than you is not quite like a bullshit ref call trying to steal a match from you

again, imo.

best,
brian kc

Oh really? Please explain how quitting isn't quitting... :rolleyes:

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Excuse me, this is a storm in a teacup
Pros in every sports quit/forfeit. They are humans and allowed to have bad day. Maybe other sports have less gambling on the players so it is no big deal.

When was the last time you saw Shane quit a match mid tournament?

Last year at MP Cup Philippines
http://philboxing.com/news/story-102028.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9ZrFBWjrKk

donald-trump-funny-look-alike-22__700.jpg

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Last night during the SVB vs Dennis CSI barbox 8b match Dennis melted down and quit.

A few days ago I listened to Jay Helfert in the booth saying "Dennis has no quit in him; I've never seen him give up in a match", this comment made as Dennis was making an impressive comeback attempt after being down, I think, 6-0 in a CSI 9b match.

Jay probably would be willing to give Dennis the lecture. Dennis is a great guy and he should be aware that this kind of behavior is unprofessional. I can think of nobody better than Jay to explain it to him.

It's funny how we all work on our games and spend countless hours practicing, but how much time do we spend studying up on good sportsmanship?

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
Apparently it's not considered quitting or unsportsmanlike, if an AMERICAN does it.
Hahahahaha!!!

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
On the stream the commentators mentioned that Thorsten was going on and on about the bad rolls being responsible for why he lost his first match.

They were also talking about something Frost did when Rodney beat him 9-0. I didn't catch the whole thing, but I think Frost was conceding games too early or something, because the conclusion was that people are paying to watch these matches, so they should play the games to the end.

I saw the Dennis situation too. It seems that the top players ALWAYS expect to win and their egos just can't handle being run over and taking the beating politely. The Dennis situation was amusing, because Shane's breaks were awesome using the same magic rack that Dennis was using. I felt bad for him a little, because he can run the balls as good as Shane....I guess Dennis needs to practice his break more. :thumbup:

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
reread my post.

this time, s-l-o-w-e-r :smile:

thanks,
brian kc

Reread my post...

This time, d-o-n-t b-e b-i-a-s-e-d

thanks,
Dave M

because the conclusion was that people are paying to watch these matches, so they should play the games to the end.

That's pretty stupid, IMO.

I paid for a few KO fights that only lasted 2 rounds. I payed to watch them, so they should wake the guy up and make him fight 10 more rounds.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about during the CSI 8b tourney where Shane was knocked out of the tournament, then was brought back in after Ralf forfeited.

That was very lame in the part of CSI and Shane and was a total injustice towards Ko.

ChicagoJoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about during the CSI 8b tourney where Shane was knocked out of the tournament, then was brought back in after Ralf forfeited.

That was very lame in the part of CSI and Shane and was a total injustice towards Ko.

What does that have to do with anything?