Diamond Pocket Problems and Black Marks...again

kollegedave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Recently I had a 9 foot Diamond Pro-Am installed in my basement. It looks and plays great. However, I immediately started getting black marks on the balls from the pockets. I searched old threads on this topic. Many guys said the treat the pockets with mink oil. I did. 5 times...at least. I still have the black marks. Are there any additional recommendations on how to handle the black marks on the balls?

Also, I have attended the DCC since 2014 (I went to one year at the Executive West, but stupid school was an obstacle to pool then). I don't believe black marks on the balls is problem at the DCC. Does anyone have any theories on why there is less of a problem with black marks at the DCC? At least I haven't noticed a problem there, and I have done my fair share of playing.

Thank you in advance for your responses.

kollegedave

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Get a Diamond ball polisher! Problem solved. And you’re balls will look like new all the time.

best,
Fatboy😀

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Get a Diamond ball polisher! Problem solved. And you’re balls will look like new all the time.

best,
Fatboy😀
I don’t know what to tell you about the black marks on the balls coming from the pockets liners, but we had a problem noticing distinct black marks usually on the 1-ball. I figured out it was from the new Simonis spots, so we switched back to Tefco Master spots and haven’t had the problem since.

krelldog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've had a Diamond Pro Am Blue Label for 10 years.

I still get black marks on the balls. I noticed it immediately after getting it....and to this day it still happens.

Its a great table...I have no regrets, but I find it ridiculous that Diamond couldn't solve this issue a long time ago.

krelldog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

best,
Fatboy😀
No actually it doesn't solve the problem. I don't care how much you clean and polish the balls...they still get black marks.

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have had a new 8' Diamond professional for about a year and a half now, and no black marks. It is drop pockets though.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No actually it doesn't solve the problem. I don't care how much you clean and polish the balls...they still get black marks.
I was half way kidding. 🤣

I get it, I had a Diamond in 07 I got it. RKC Glen came by one trip to Vegas as fixed it. I can’t recall what he did, but he did. He will pop up here-or I’ll ask him. It’s annoying as hell and they don’t come off easy.

Enjoy your table, let’s get this sorted out for you. 100% it’s fixable. It was just so long ago I forgot what/how we solved it.

best
Fatboy

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
Yeah - it’s one of the minor issues with the table. I still get marks on my balls. Now, it’s primarily hard shots where the ball hits the back of the pocket square, but it happens.

I do wish they had sorted it out before, but I’d rather have a Diamond that occasionally marks balls vs any other table. I know a lot of folks feel the same. I guess that’s one reason they haven’t fixed it. Lol.

Rocket354

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently had a 9' professional installed with the same issue. I'd heard a few others have the issue with professionals--this is the first I'd heard about a recent proam with that issue. I'm assuming it's recent--did you buy it new, or used?

Mine was really bad. Some of the worst marks looked like I took a thick black marker and just drew a line on the ball. I'd say about 50% of shots would result in a black mark on a ball. Diamond came and replaced the pockets since I was still under warranty. I've gotten a handful of marks since, but nothing too bad. Yet, at least--it did take a couple months for the initial marks to start showing up, so who knows how these new pockets will age. If they do start turning bad I'm hoping it's within the next month before my warranty expires...

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been playing at times on a recently installed set of Diamond 9 foot tables with pro cut pockets- sometimes my cues have what looks like thick marker lines along the points - the lines will come off with some buffing- but they are getting on the cue from something on those tables only. I do also notice dark marks on some of the balls they use there- newer sets as these 4 new tables are the only tables in the small room.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been playing at times on a recently installed set of Diamond 9 foot tables with pro cut pockets- sometimes my cues have what looks like thick marker lines along the points - the lines will come off with some buffing- but they are getting on the cue from something on those tables only. I do also notice dark marks on some of the balls they use there- newer sets as these 4 new tables are the only tables in the small room.
That's hilarious. The best table I have access to is an old 4x8 Global with their version of pro cuts ( shallow but 4.25" +- ) and the rubber liners shed as well. Balls, cues, anything that makes contact. These are already oxidized too so even cleaning them will only make buckets of black water.

kollegedave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently had a 9' professional installed with the same issue. I'd heard a few others have the issue with professionals--this is the first I'd heard about a recent proam with that issue. I'm assuming it's recent--did you buy it new, or used?

Mine was really bad. Some of the worst marks looked like I took a thick black marker and just drew a line on the ball. I'd say about 50% of shots would result in a black mark on a ball. Diamond came and replaced the pockets since I was still under warranty. I've gotten a handful of marks since, but nothing too bad. Yet, at least--it did take a couple months for the initial marks to start showing up, so who knows how these new pockets will age. If they do start turning bad I'm hoping it's within the next month before my warranty expires...
I bought the table new. My buddy suggested Weiman Leather Conditioner, so I guess I will give that a try, but I am open to any other suggestions.
kollegedave

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's an alternative... You could always go back to the old time standby leather conditioners. Used on leather goods such as horse saddles for decades. That would be neat's-foot oil. I use it on my work boots, and all my leather gear. After it dries, or soaks into the leather, there seems to be no residue left behind, but the weather is supple.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
I copied and pasted this post from a thread back in 2013.

"I also have a Diamond that leaves marks on balls. Before the Diamond I had a Olhausen and it also left brown marks from the dye on the leather pockets. This may not be what you want to do but it helps a lot. I took a clean rag and bought a quart of denatured alcohol and started removing dye from the leather by rubbing hard and rotating the rag often. At first the dye seems like it will never stop leaving the rag black but after awhile you win. The inside of my pockets are still plenty dark, if you look close enough you can tell that I removed some of the dye but its hard to see because of the way the leading edge of the pocket extends. It takes awhile and a little elbow grease but you will get enough dye off that you will hardly get the marks on the balls any more. You may even have to do it a second time but it is much faster on number 2. I have been meaning to post this for awhile and will get to it soon. I have done this on 2 tables now and have seen no ill effects on the leather. I hope this helps. Jim."

Here is that thread.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I copied and pasted this post from a thread back in 2013.

"I also have a Diamond that leaves marks on balls. Before the Diamond I had a Olhausen and it also left brown marks from the dye on the leather pockets. This may not be what you want to do but it helps a lot. I took a clean rag and bought a quart of denatured alcohol and started removing dye from the leather by rubbing hard and rotating the rag often. At first the dye seems like it will never stop leaving the rag black but after awhile you win. The inside of my pockets are still plenty dark, if you look close enough you can tell that I removed some of the dye but its hard to see because of the way the leading edge of the pocket extends. It takes awhile and a little elbow grease but you will get enough dye off that you will hardly get the marks on the balls any more. You may even have to do it a second time but it is much faster on number 2. I have been meaning to post this for awhile and will get to it soon. I have done this on 2 tables now and have seen no ill effects on the leather. I hope this helps. Jim."

Here is that thread.

The other room that I play in has 2 Olhausen tables and they recently installed new drop pockets- - they are Olhausen OEM pockets and also are leaving marks on balls

BobTfromIL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We just had two new 9' Diamond Pro-Am installed in our room and so far I have not noticed any marks on the balls, new Aramith. The tables are also getting quite a bit of play. Seems all the players like them much more than the existing Olhausens that we have.

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
My Diamond Pro-Am is seven years old and the pockets still leave black marks on balls hit hard into them. It is from the dye that is used to color the pockets. That much we know. How to get rid of that dye is another story. IF you had a table with pockets that were left undyed (natural tan) there would be no such problem. That's why there is no problem like this on many of the home style tables Brunswick, Olhausen and others have been selling for years. Their pockets are left undyed.