Diamond Pool Tables - Degree of Difficulty

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My experience has been that playing 14.1 on Diamond tables is a much tougher proposition than on a GC. I run 50+ on a Diamond and want to pop a bottle of champagne.

And, as the cloth ages, the pockets become even tougher, to the point that you described. I believe that as time passes there are also likely to be issues with the one-piece slate sagging and creating problems keeping the table level.

In general, I would also have to say that the Diamonds do bank shorter and as another poster mentioned, there are banks available on a Diamond that don’t exist on a GC.

My general feeling is that tougher tables are good for competitive pool but seriously bad news for those folks that just want to go out, socialize, maybe have a few drinks and enjoy a few yuks. The average guy who thought he was Minnesota Fats on his parent’s 8 footer in the basement is not going to have much success showing off for his girl friend on tough equipment and is likely to get discouraged and not return.

Having said all that, I do like Diamond tables but they are not without their issues.

Lou Figueroa
Totally agree with you on table toughness in a commercial spot. I think its okay to have a couple set-up tough for better players but leave the rest at full 4.75-5" for the regulars. They want to see balls go in and if the room owner likes money he likes to see them make balls as well. Kinda tough to sell drinks/food when your main client base leaves in frustration.

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good thing pool isn't golf, everyone would want only par 3 courses! The table toughness is why most places keep a valley in the room!

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good thing pool isn't golf, everyone would want only par 3 courses! The table toughness is why most places keep a valley in the room!
There's a HUUUGE difference in recreational and serious/tournament pool. The people that pay the bills and keep the lights on are the ball-bangers not the serious players. Hell, standard GoldCrown pockets are 4.75" corners and most bangers still struggle on them. Make them any tighter and you'll have an empty room. Been playing since '78 and have seen this happen to many places.

Last edited:

haystj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am sure RKC will be busting through the door soon to kick everyone in this discussion squarely in the nutz.

Until then, can you please explain this:

I believe that as time passes there are also likely to be issues with the one-piece slate sagging and creating problems keeping the table level.

This is a new concept to me and don't understand how a stone "sags".

Thx.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am sure RKC will be busting through the door soon to kick everyone in this discussion squarely in the nutz.

Thx.

A 4 1/2’ x 9’ piece of relatively thin *slate* sitting horizontally will sage over time if there is insufficient support underneath it.

Many years ago at the DCC I was sitting in the stands next to the guy who designed, or perhaps engineered, the 9’ Diamonds being used. We were talking about how the tables banked short and why the tables were rolling off on cross-corner banks and he told me that they had not made the tables with sufficient support and that it was something they hoped to correct in later models.

Lou Figueroa

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A 4 1/2’ x 9’ piece of relatively thin *slate* sitting horizontally will sage over time if there is insufficient support underneath it.

Many years ago at the DCC I was sitting in the stands next to the guy who designed, or perhaps engineered, the 9’ Diamonds being used. We were talking about how the tables banked short and why the tables were rolling off on cross-corner banks and he told me that they had not made the tables with sufficient support and that it was something they hoped to correct in later models.

Lou Figueroa
The short banking was caused by the downward angle of the cushion tops not the slate. I know sagging can be a real issue on some GC's. RKC has a trick brace that stops it. Never knew Diamond had a sagging problem. They are good about constantly making their stuff better.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The short banking was caused by the downward angle of the cushion tops not the slate. I know sagging can be a real issue on some GC's. RKC has a trick brace that stops it. Never knew Diamond had a sagging problem. They are good about constantly making their stuff better.

Right, the unusually short banks on the Red Labels were a separate issue.

Lou Figueroa

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's a HUUUGE difference in recreational and serious/tournament pool. The people that pay the bills and keep the lights on are the ball-bangers not the serious players. Hell, standard GoldCrown pockets are 4.75" corners and most bangers still struggle on them. Make them any tighter and you'll have an empty room. Been playing since '78 and have seen this happen to many places.
Have standard Gold Crown's always been 4.75" mouth point to mouth point measurement in the corners or did they switch at some point? For some reason I thought they were 5 inches across the mouth.

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey cry-babies, they're called Diamond "Professional" tables.
They were designed by pro players, for pro players.;)

Having had many conversations over the years with Greg Sullivan I can tell you this is not so.

Regardless, I’d also point out that virtually none of us here are pro players but many of us do turn out year after year to compete against pros at events like the DCC, played on Diamond tables.

Lou Figueroa

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
The "Diamond" label on the rail is red. Kinda that simple. New ones are blue. I think the blues came-out around 2010. There are a few black labels but that was just a vanity option. You could/can get the newer models with a black label if that's what tripped-ur-trigger. Once they reduced downward angle of the cushion tops they banked just fine. Old ones can be modified by a good mechanic.

Good to know, ty, sir.

Bca8ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have standard Gold Crown's always been 4.75" mouth point to mouth point measurement in the corners or did they switch at some point? For some reason I thought they were 5 inches across the mouth.

Originally mine was 4 3/4 (4.75).
The place I compete at the most reconditioned all their tables to 4 1/2 (4.5); therefore, I made mine 4 7/16 (4.4375).
I know some like home tables more pattern and stoke friendly; however, I just couldn't see my home table being easier than tables I compete on.
90% of the time, I am the only shooter at home and I am enjoying challenge since the change.
Additionally, I am enjoying my league nights out even more; I look at a shots knowing I routinely make it at home on smaller pockets... win/win.

Attachments

• 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 272
  • 1b.JPG
    1b.JPG
    181.9 KB · Views: 271

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They still are. The tournament version has 4.5" corners. I played a lot in a 60's post-Hustler boom rec center. They had GC1's and they all were 5" corners. Don't know when 4.75" showed up. I don't recall what was the first year for the tournament-spec model. I think it was the 5 but not positive.

Last edited:

Thx.

Stones do sag and they also crack. Don’t kid yourself. It’s a natural material.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Based on the overhead photo of your pockets, it appears your angles inside the pockets on the facings are not tapered too much. Were they altered at all when you had your pockets tightened? They appear to be no more than I would guess 139-140 degrees, in relation to the adjacent cushions, which will allow them to accept balls quite a bit better than if they were 142-143 degrees.

Last edited:

Bca8ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Based on the overhead photo of your pockets, it appears your angles inside the pockets on the facings are not too bad. Were they altered at all when you had your pockets tightened? They appear to be no more than I'm guessing 140 degrees, in relation to the adjacent cushions, which will allow them to play a little more accepting of balls than if they were 142-143 degrees.

Good eye, I was set at 142 but they came in right at 141 once everything was said and done.

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes

Hey cry-babies, they're called Diamond "Professional" tables.
They were designed by pro players, for pro players.;)

Excellent post sir you will get a greenie ! I was thinking that also. I played today at King of Billiards in Akron Ohio, all ages playing no one crying. All tables Diamond Blue label.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a GC4 with stock pockets. They measure 5.0” to 5.125”

I’ve also measured a room full of GC4’s. They also measured 5.0” to 5.125”.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why of why didn’t Diamond copy GC pockets angles, pocket size, slate pocket cutouts, rail angles, and cushion material?!?!

There would have been near zero problems from day one. Instead, we have 30 years of complaints. And each “problem” went unaddressed for a decade or more.

Que RKC to yell at me again for not knowing my ass from a hole in the ground. Ha ha.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m curious who the “pro” players were that “designed” the diamond? Or is that just marketing bs. One shot on an early Diamond and watching how the balls bounced off of the rail and the “pro” who designed it would have never approved.