Diamonds trapping balls

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I believed the most admired table restorer when he told me that.
And from what I've already seen, he was pretty much right from the get-go.

Unlike someone who certifies pockets without even seeing them.

When I get to be as good as he is, them maybe I to can figure out how to build corner pockets....4 different sizes on the same table, until then....I'll keep them all the same. By the way....what was the difference between 15 and 13 degrees down angle?

Baxter

Out To Win
Silver Member
I believed the most admired table restorer when he told me that.
And from what I've already seen, he was pretty much right from the get-go.

Unlike someone who certifies pockets without even seeing them.

Chris-Pratt-as-Andy-Dwyer.png

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rephrase: if you just miss the ball and hit the point it traps over the hole, better? :thumbup:

In the early days of Diamonds they were notorious<nefarious?> for this.

It was mostly due to overly deep shelf.

Dale

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A little better but you still have a way to go. Proper American is: It hits the near tit and rattles and hangs up.

Once again, the British are at fault. Since their pockets don't have points, an equivalent
occurrence in the noble game of Snooker is called knuckling the ball due to the round-ish
pocket openings - resulting in a failed pot:)

Dale(supplier of international exchange of cue sport terms at no extra charge)

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Ha!

Don't get on their bad side. Some of us may need them after the election.

Oh no, no political asylum allowed. We are doomed to the asylum we've created. Our destiny is to revel in our representative republic that we aren't doing such a great job of keeping.

oldroller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
two

When I get to be as good as he is, them maybe I to can figure out how to build corner pockets....4 different sizes on the same table, until then....I'll keep them all the same. By the way....what was the difference between 15 and 13 degrees down angle?

two i think

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I just feel that if someone is going to start throwing out their ideas about miter angles and down angles, that person should at the least know what kind of effects the differences have in pocketing balls, not just be a mocking bird and not just repeat something they've heard.

j_zippel

Big Tuna
Silver Member
Yes and getting used to maple syrup and Molson's, eh. The maple syrup is OK but...

Nobody drinks molson around here, it's a craft dominant area.

A Few people I know drink Labatts, if you want slinky garbage that resembles what's available south of the border

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

j_zippel

Big Tuna
Silver Member

What does the angle change do Glen?

-not being sarcastic...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
http://www.wpa-pool.com/web/WPA_Tournament_Table_Equipment_SpecificationsVertical Pocket
Angle (Back Draft): 12 degrees minimum to 15 degrees maximum.
The PREMIER table restorer told me , he prefers 13* for a reason.
Not going to argue with him.

Horizontal Pocket Cut Angle: The angle must be the same on both sides of a pocket entrance. The cut angles of the rubber cushion and its wood backing (rail liner) for both sides of the corner pocket entrance must be 142 degrees (+1). The cut angles of the rubber cushion and its wood backing (rail liner) for both sides of the side pocket entrance must be 104 degrees (+1).
Someone needs to tell WPA 142 degrees is bad enough. +1 is even worse.
139 degrees would play better. Specially on old cloth.
143 degrees will definitely be hated when the cloth gets older.

Slasher

KE = 0.5 • m • v2
Silver Member
I understand how it happens, deep shelf hard pocket facings etc, on a snooker table the cushion rubber goes all the way round the opening and 99% of the time it spits the ball down the rail.
What I don't get is in the effort to tighten the tables the playability has been compromised.
The way in which balls that are shot into roughly 75-100% of the opening and catch the point of the facing are rejected yet balls that are shot at 0-25% of the opening can hit the rail 2 ft away and still go in.
This makes no sense if you are trying to make the game require more accuracy.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Usually when you jaw or rattle a ball on Diamond or any table for that matter with similar pocket angles and miters is because you clipped the rail on the way in. I have done this so many times that when I see it happen on youtube tournament videos I pause and play back at 1/4 speed to see what causes this.

oldschool1478

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Usually when you jaw or rattle a ball on Diamond or any table for that matter with similar pocket angles and miters is because you clipped the rail on the way in. I have done this so many times that when I see it happen on youtube tournament videos I pause and play back at 1/4 speed to see what causes this.

Exactly. Remember, Diamond tables were designed by professional players, FOR professional players. If it rattles you weren't cheated. You missed.