diciplinary action on Rodney Morris during UPA`s World Summit pool

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
During the finals of the winners Bracket Rodney Morris got into an argument with his opponent Mike Dechaine.I ,as a spectator could not figure out what the problem was.Other spectators also did not know what was going on.There were only 9 spectators.One time Rodney left the arena and sat in the spectator seats and was talking to mike from the spectator seats. A minute later rodney entered the arena and and stood in mike`s face.I could not tell whether their cloths were touching or not.but Rodney appeared to have made an attempt to use his size to intimidate mike.That is the time frank Alvarez moved into the arena and stood by Rodney and talked to them.play resumed. I walked out for a beer and after socialization with few friends for few minutes I returned to know that Rodney walked out of the match.The score was 4-2 or some thing like that mike dechaine`s favor.Then UPA president frank Alvarez after consulting his team decided to not to allow Rodney to play his next match which will be with the winner of the match between Thorston and stevie Moore for third place.Later I talked to frank to find out what happened.frank explained to me in a very vague manner and I gathered that the dispute between the two players was over illegally moved balls.
Today is the finals at 1pm.:eek:

Last edited:

NINEBALLART

NINEBALLART
Silver Member
In Vegas when Rodney was playing Chris Bartram 15 ahead, Chris was 12 up and made a simple combo...Rodney jumped up and declared a foul saying Chris did not call the combo....Chris did point to the combo and it was so easy it was obivious....But Rodney took ball in hand and starting shooting...Rodney got it down I think to Chris just 3 ahead when they quit for the night.
The next day Chris finished Morris off in about 2 hours and won the money.....
Rodney is acting strange lately when he gets behind in matches......???????

Roger Long

Sonoran Cue Creations
Silver Member
This kind of behavior (Rodney's) is nothing new to pool, but a disqualification, is. Rodney had already penalized himself by forfeiting the one match; should he have been penalized again by the UPA? And should that penalty have come instantly, as it did? In most other professional sports, infractions are reviewed after the event is over, and then penalties are meted out, if necessary. Why would the UPA want to handle this matter so differently?

Roger

frankwhite

www.superiorbilliardtech.
Silver Member
This kind of behavior (Rodney's) is nothing new to pool, but a disqualification, is. Rodney had already penalized himself by forfeiting the one match; should he have been penalized again by the UPA? And should that penalty have come instantly, as it did? In most other professional sports, infractions are reviewed after the event is over, and then penalties are meted out, if necessary. Why would the UPA want to handle this matter so differently?

Roger

Because it is the UPA......;)

Bobby

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There were only 9 spectators for the winners bracket final??!!!!!! Unbelievable!

bfdlad

T-Wheels
Silver Member

Roger
Roger, what shocks me even more is that Rodney and Frank are friends and have been for a long time. I know that is not supposed to play a part and it be impartial but it was a quick decision and one would think that you would try and give your friend the benefit of doubt. JMO

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Vagabond which one of them was shooting when the dispute started?

I was watching Stevie More V gomez match at the other end of the arena and I do not know the answer to your question.
Today at 1pm is the finals and I will be there to watch that final.during that time I may be able to gather some info.:cool:

mantis99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Roger

I am shocked by the sentiment that the upa handled this wrong. I know a lot of people like Morris and dislike the upa, but the disqualification seems obvious here. There is no place for this type of behavior in professional sports. I think the above statement about sports is incorrect. Soccer has red cards, basebll umps throw players out of games routinely, and football players are removed from games for fighting. To throw rodney out of this tournament for threatning behavior and a significant lack of professionalism is the obvious course of action. What should be debated is whether or not he will receive a suspension from any further events. That would follow the norm in sports for this type of behavior. Whether you like the upa or not, it appears they are handling this correctly so far, at least according to the facts as they have been presented.