Did Souquet try to do the right thing?

mark187

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That 2250 plus his 5th thru 8th check already won!!!

Kd

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
Well, that would be correct if it had happened. I am inclined to take the word of a friend of a friend of a friend with a pinch of salt. Bearing in mind that no one has collaborated this, together with Souquet's flawless professional reputation, I think this whole 'fact' stinks of nothing more than gossip. Given that we're a adults, let's stick to the facts- this isn't NPR.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Since has has alway been my favorite player I'll say this.
Did anyone take into account that since these guys travel so often "and are more organized than the American player" that maybe he booked this flight way in advance, as in before the CSI invite or something to that effect. Or while booking the flight last week they said "hey, it's Friday... Or Sunday night" and he said F it, I'll take it, if I don't make it no biggie, but if I do then I guess I'll just have to forfeit.

Half the field was heading for Beijing. In fact, I'm told the Taiwanese contingent stayed until Saturday morning. When I purchased my reserved seat in April, I knew the CSI 8-ball event would still be in progress on the evening of July 25, and so did the invitees. Ralf messed this up, and none of the other pros going right from Vegas to Beijing got it wrong because the CSI event dates were known several months in advance.

In short, no ---- he didn't try to do the right thing.

I'm as big a fan of Souquet as there ever has been, but on this occasion, CSI gave Ralf ample opportunity to get this right. Worst of all, he failed to inform CSI of the potential conflict.

This thread will evidence that Ralf was already invited by April 24.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=360922

Admirably, CSI sent out the invitations to these invitational events months in advance. Ralf simply failed to schedule the appropriate flights and compounded the problem by not advising CSI of it.

rrick33

Rick
Silver Member
This makes no sense, is English your first language? Just who was I beating up on, certainly not Ralf.

It's called an analogy. Look it up on dictionary.com

And this coming from the guy who's wondering if I speak English.

Here's another analogy...perhaps you've heard it before.

Pot calling the kettle black!

dnschmidt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Accomdations Could Have Been Made.

My opinion is that Ralph didn't expect to get as far as he did. OK, so what. When it became apparent on Thursday night that Ralph could win his group after beating Shane, and considering that Ralph is the slowest player on Earth, soon to be challenged by John Morra in that regard, they could have moved the Friday morning matches up to a 9AM start to allow Ralph time to make his 7PM flight. Who cares when they start the matches. Just Email all of the PPV people of the early start. There were no more than 50 people watching the event live so what's the big deal. If they can move up starting times for a PGA Tour event because of incoming weather they can start matches early to allow for this possibility.

This entire situation could have been handled if Ralph would have let somebody know that he had to bug out at 6PM of Friday.

wayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's called an analogy. Look it up on dictionary.com

And this coming from the guy who's wondering if I speak English.

Here's another analogy...perhaps you've heard it before.

Pot calling the kettle black!

Actually "pot calling the kettle black" is an idiom and not an analogy. You could turn it into an analogy by comparing it to something.

Last edited:

rrick33

Rick
Silver Member
I think the interpretation depends on how closely you follow the conversation.

Last edited:

rrick33

Rick
Silver Member
Actually "pot calling the kettle black" is an idiom and not an analogy. You could turn it into an analogy by comparing it to something.

What would you call the use of an idiom in analogous form to compare it to a previous analogy?
The respondent couldn't understand the first analogy written in English and the idiom was referencing that analogy.

If you can figure that one out....let me know.

Last edited:

mark187

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What would you call the use of an idiom to reference the similarity of style, i.e the use of a previous idiom, of which one individual claimed he was unable to decipher.

I'm no linguist but I think it is an idiom being used in an analogous form.
What's this got to do with Ralf Souquet? If you want to debate the use of the English language enter a spelling bee or go back to school. Alternatively, unzip your trousers and take this c0ck measuring contest somewhere private.

Back on topic- Ralf should have withdrawn from the competition before it even started. I have never heard of a professional sportsman withdraw from the later stages of a tournament unless there has been an injury or serious personal incident. If we want this game to bw taken seriously, all players need to treat each and every tournament with respect. We need regulation, and there needs to be sanctions against these kinds of incidents.

rrick33

Rick
Silver Member
What's this got to do with Ralf Souquet? If you want to debate the use of the English language enter a spelling bee or go back to school. Alternatively, unzip your trousers and take this c0ck measuring contest somewhere private.

Back on topic- Ralf should have withdrawn from the competition before it even started. I have never heard of a professional sportsman withdraw from the later stages of a tournament unless there has been an injury or serious personal incident. If we want this game to bw taken seriously, all players need to treat each and every tournament with respect. We need regulation, and there needs to be sanctions against these kinds of incidents.

I agree, let's get back on topic.

In a country where a professional baseball game can be ended due to rain and one team awarded victory simply because they were ahead at the time, gives me reason to question just how severe an incident must be to be considered unprofessional when withdrawing.

It would seem to me that if professional baseball can end a game on a matter of convenience and not be considered unprofessional, then who sets the standard on just how inconvenient a situation must be for pool players?

mark187

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree, let's get back on topic.

In a country where a professional baseball game can be ended due to rain and one team awarded victory simply because they were ahead at the time, gives me reason to question just how severe an incident must be to be considered unprofessional when withdrawing.

It would seem to me that if professional baseball can end a game on a matter of convenience and not be considered unprofessional, then who sets the standard on just how inconvenient a situation must be for pool players?
I'd imagine this is for safety reasons rather than convenience. In most sports the game would be rescheduled or a break taken like in tennis- not sure for the reasons in baseball.

In snooker or most other individual sports you would be fined for missing a game without good reason. Snooker is a much better organised profession though, and players know tournament dates 2 years in advance. Players are also ranked, and as such NEED to enter lots of tournaments to remain on the tour and be able to play professionally. Regarding withdrawing during a tournament- Ronnie O'Sullivan was heavily fined for conceding a tournament match. He was fined for bringing the game into disrepute.

The problem with pool is that it's disorganised, it needs an independent body to come up with a calendar of events in advance of a season. It needs to start ranking players properly, so that there is sufficient reason other than purely financial to travel to tournaments. It also needs to fine players for unprofessional conduct.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Still no 8 ball purse money added to AZ players sub forum. Boy they are really getting there ducks in a row. The best PR for CSI would be to come out and say WE screwed up...period. If other people are put into this, CSI will get bit in the ass now and at a later date when someone talks. Johnnyt

efirkey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What's sad is that there isn't enough prize money for a player to justify rescheduling a flight because of the cost.

punter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What would you call the use of an idiom in analogous form to compare it to a previous analogy?
The respondent couldn't understand the first analogy written in English and the idiom was referencing that analogy.

If you can figure that one out....let me know.

I'll call you the riddler. For the second time, I started this thread defending Ralf, and I'm still not sure what got your panties in a bunch, riddler rick.

Last edited:

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
I'd imagine this is for safety reasons rather than convenience. In most sports the game would be rescheduled or a break taken like in tennis- not sure for the reasons in baseball.

In snooker or most other individual sports you would be fined for missing a game without good reason. Snooker is a much better organised profession though, and players know tournament dates 2 years in advance. Players are also ranked, and as such NEED to enter lots of tournaments to remain on the tour and be able to play professionally. Regarding withdrawing during a tournament- Ronnie O'Sullivan was heavily fined for conceding a tournament match. He was fined for bringing the game into disrepute.

The problem with pool is that it's disorganised, it needs an independent body to come up with a calendar of events in advance of a season. It needs to start ranking players properly, so that there is sufficient reason other than purely financial to travel to tournaments. It also needs to fine players for unprofessional conduct.

It sounds like it needs structure/rules for players, promoters & fans!!!

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Still no 8 ball purse money added to AZ players sub forum. Boy they are really getting there ducks in a row. The best PR for CSI would be to come out and say WE screwed up...period. If other people are put into this, CSI will get bit in the ass now and at a later date when someone talks. Johnnyt

I dunno...I still don't think there was a screw-up.

Ralf was- for a truth that will likely never be known be known to us- unavailable to play his next round, so the next in line took his spot.

Makes sense to me, it keeps each round played...and what were they supposed to do? Only have first, second and fourth place finishers?

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I dunno...I still don't think there was a screw-up.

Ralf was- for a truth that will likely never be known be known to us- unavailable to play his next round, so the next in line took his spot.

Makes sense to me, it keeps each round played...and what were they supposed to do? Only have first, second and fourth place finishers?

That is simplistic view.
If Ralf is forfeited and he is not replaced, the results will show 1st / 2nd place will be Ko Pin Yi / Ko Ping Ching followed by 3rd place Thorsten and 4th place Ralf
:D

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is simplistic view.
If Ralf is forfeited and he is not replaced, the results will show 1st / 2nd place will be Ko Pin Yi / Ko Ping Ching followed by 3rd place Thorsten and 4th place Ralf
:D

But at some point, there will be multiple players who finish in the same (paid) spot, because there was no match played, no?

How does the $ get paid for that place?

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
But at some point, there will be multiple players who finish in the same (paid) spot, because there was no match played, no?

Bingo!
We have winner!

Once pay outs posted, then how do you modify it???

Where does the extra money come from???

All good questions that can't justify the modification/change.

Kd

mark187

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Usually, in most sports, if there is a tie for 3rd place the 3rd and 4th prize money is split. If a player withdraws and the rules state he is replaced he should forfeit any prize money whatever the reason. If he isn't replaced be should also forfeit his prize money subject to the discretion of the tournament chiefs- eg if there are mitigating circumstances such as serious illness, injury or family bereavement

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk