do female players play action/challenge matches?

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thinking about gender equality in sport
even tho money in pool is modest
it seems to be more equal in pool
than it is in many other sports
which is kinda cool

do gals play action and/or challenge matches tho?
seems to be less of that happening vs. male
less public, at least

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Doesn’t Roy have a stable full of ladies who can bet it up? And I remember Donny Mills playing a money match with a lady player. So yes, I’m sure you can find some action.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Doesn’t Roy have a stable full of ladies who can bet it up? And I remember Donny Mills playing a money match with a lady player. So yes, I’m sure you can find some action.

I had remembered siming vs. donny "battle of the sexes"
some interesting discussion around that match
good call about roy's tho..his "basement" is a neat twist on pool

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
thinking about gender equality in sport
even tho money in pool is modest
it seems to be more equal in pool
than it is in many other sports
which is kinda cool

do gals play action and/or challenge matches tho?
seems to be less of that happening vs. male
less public, at least

Big action games are pretty rare these days among the women. The all-time high roller for the ladies was Jennifer Chen, who'd bet tens of thousands at a time, sometimes betting her own, and usually matching up against men. Of course, Jeanette Lee often found herself in big action against men, too, as did a few others.

Today, the only high roller among the women that I can think of is Pam Treadway, who mixed it up in very high stakes one pocket with JRB at Derby City this past January. Pretty sure she's not betting her own.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sure.

2 local ladies just played a $1,000 match here. Big money? I guess that depends on how you define it. But I know several ladies who aren’t at all afraid to roll around in the mud and the blood and the beer!

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
Some of the NYC metro area woman players were playing some money matches for like $1000 in 2019. I'm sure it might have continued if the covid didn't hit.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
The all-time high roller for the ladies was Jennifer Chen, who'd bet tens of thousands at a time, sometimes betting her own, and usually matching up against men.

I can attest to that. I beat her a couple of sets for a decent amount around 1999 or 2000 in Santa Monica. Her entourage then wanted to raise the bet to several thousand. I politely explained that I didn't have that much, and offered to continue at the current rate. They declined.

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sure.

2 local ladies just played a $1,000 match here. Big money? I guess that depends on how you define it. But I know several ladies who aren’t at all afraid to roll around in the mud and the blood and the beer!

Awesome...but do they play pool?:D

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I can attest to that. I beat her a couple of sets for a decent amount around 1999 or 2000 in Santa Monica. Her entourage then wanted to raise the bet to several thousand. I politely explained that I didn't have that much, and offered to continue at the current rate. They declined.

Yup, sounds like Jennifer Chen. What is it about the Taiwanese, anyway? Just like her countryman JL Chang today, she always wanted to raise the bet and raise it some more and raise it some more. I have to wonder whether we'll ever seen another high roller like Chen in the women's game.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Big action games are pretty rare these days among the women. The all-time high roller for the ladies was Jennifer Chen, who'd bet tens of thousands at a time, sometimes betting her own, and usually matching up against men. Of course, Jeanette Lee often found herself in big action against men, too, as did a few others.

Today, the only high roller among the women that I can think of is Pam Treadway, who mixed it up in very high stakes one pocket with JRB at Derby City this past January. Pretty sure she's not betting her own.

BOOM! Stu beat me to it. The exact same two ladies I was going to mention. Jennifer Chen bet it up to the max, unfortunately gambling proved to be her downfall. On the other hand Jeanette Lee has bet her own against several top players and taken down the cash. I'm talking games upwards of ten to twenty thou!

Before them, Lori Shampo was known for taking guys off playing 9-Ball and would play anyone if the game was right. She challenged Balukas several times to gamble, calling her out publicly. Vivian V. and Monica Webb are two other current era women players who were known to make a bet or two against men, and win! I know they both played good One Pocket, as well as 9-Ball, and did not dog it for the cash. Kelly Fisher won a serious money game against Cliff Joyner some years back herself.

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
What a character! Was that her real last name?

I never heard Lori called by any other.
At the Rack in Detroit, she was as aggressive as any guy in jacking up the bet.

Sometimes you just don’t know what’s coming...last time I saw Lori was at Harley’s Action
Billiards in Jacksonville....we never even glanced at each other a second time....
...for game-making reasons.....next thing I heard about her, she was no longer with us.
...I regret we never talked that time.

Rest In Peace, Lori

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I never heard Lori called by any other.
At the Rack in Detroit, she was as aggressive as any guy in jacking up the bet.

Sometimes you just don’t know what’s coming...last time I saw Lori was at Harley’s Action
Billiards in Jacksonville....we never even glanced at each other a second time....
...for game-making reasons.....next thing I heard about her, she was no longer with us.
...I regret we never talked that time.

Rest In Peace, Lori

Yup, I knew Lori, too, and she was a hell of a player as well as an action hound. Your experience in missing that one last verbal exchange with her is similar to mine with Larry Lisciotti. In what I believe was the 2003 Challenge of Champions at Mohegan Sun in Connecticut. I saw Larry across the room and intended to go over to say hi as we'd known each other for years. I never did get around to it and Larry died shortly after.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not to hijack the thread but does anybody know whether Karen Corr has completely walked away from pool to be a nurse?

She was one of my favorites to watch.