Do I need a dehumidifier?

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
My table plays slow. I have a 9' Diamond with Simonis cloth. I don't know what type, it's the standard tournament cloth. The same guy puts it on other tables that play quick. My table just slows up faster than usual.

I put a lot of hours on it, probably 50/week. Last time I went just 6 months and recovered it. This time around I wanted to stretch to closer to a year. But it's been 7 months now and it's getting really tough. It's not slow in terms of distance, it's gritty in terms of struggling to draw the ball or keep it sliding. It takes a monster stroke to move the cue ball around anymore.

First I thought it was table care. I use a small handheld vacuum once or twice a week, a Simonis X-1 felt cleaner now and then, some chalk off once in a while, and a slightly damp rag every few weeks.

Now I wonder if it's humidity. I bought a hygrometer to test humidity. It fluctuates between 36-46 degrees relative humidity. At 36 degrees last night I could play a bit. Tonight at 46 degrees I can't draw table length. I could last night.

I am wondering if I should buy a dehumidifier for this room. If so, do you have any recommendations? My pool room itself is only 15x25, but I could get something more powerful if you think this would make sense. Any other suggestions? Or is it normal to change cloth every 6 months with heavy commercial level usage? I have a virtual tournament coming up and I'm already playing better players, it's brutal to spot them a super gritty tough table.

Nikrnic

46 is getting humid, no suggestions on which but I'll bet one will help. We always had a automatic one running in our basement and you'd be surprised how quick it would fill up. Good idea to put it over a drain if you can

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

AF pool guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You could also use a slate warmer like snooker and 3-cushion tables. That’ll keep the cloth dry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pw98

Registered
You definitely want a dehumidifier. I had one that wasn't working right and I would mess with the heat and AC all the time trying to lower humidity. After getting a new (and larger) dehumidifier I have never complained again and the table draws really well for 3 year old cloth, regardless if heat or AC is on.
I also have access to a 10 footer which is about 40 feet from Lake Erie and humidity is high and constantly changing. The only time the cue ball is drawable more than 1 foot away on that table is after 10:00pm when humidity drops. The cloth probably has less wear on it than your table too. I think the dehumidifier there needs to be replaced as well.

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Is this in the basement?
maybe with not as good of mechanical air (ac/heat).
may need to re-stretch, 46 is a little on the high side, not bad for finishing though (paints).
My table go's through extremes as far as environment, what you're describing reads like an issue I experienced, re stretching had the biggest impact.
If you can palm and grab any amount (move) the cloth, especially with the humidity up for a good grab, ummm, re stretch time.

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
If you're playing 50 hours a week and want the table to keep playing pretty fast for a year vacuuming once a week won't cut it.
I'd invest in a Dyson V8 or V10 and use it daily, avoid using the creamy like chalks like Kamui since that stuff is nearly impossible to get all the way out of the cloth.

The brushing action of the Dyson will also (slowly) cause wear on the cloth but doing this daily for a year will not wear it out.
Off course, that is a pretty big investment of money and time, so maybe changing nothing and just changing the cloth every 6 months will be more effective for you?

Regards, Dave

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Humidity will wear cloth a lot faster and makes it play slow and kill spin. You can make slate heater easy and cheap on your own or dehumidifier some kind helps too. Also use of Taom Pyro keep balls and table cleaner a lot lot lot longer. We have 100% of our players in our club now using it and it doubles cloth age easily.

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
My table plays slow. I have a 9' Diamond with Simonis cloth. I don't know what type, it's the standard tournament cloth. The same guy puts it on other tables that play quick. My table just slows up faster than usual.

I put a lot of hours on it, probably 50/week. Last time I went just 6 months and recovered it. This time around I wanted to stretch to closer to a year. But it's been 7 months now and it's getting really tough. It's not slow in terms of distance, it's gritty in terms of struggling to draw the ball or keep it sliding. It takes a monster stroke to move the cue ball around anymore.

First I thought it was table care. I use a small handheld vacuum once or twice a week, a Simonis X-1 felt cleaner now and then, some chalk off once in a while, and a slightly damp rag every few weeks.

Now I wonder if it's humidity. I bought a hygrometer to test humidity. It fluctuates between 36-46 degrees relative humidity. At 36 degrees last night I could play a bit. Tonight at 46 degrees I can't draw table length. I could last night.

I am wondering if I should buy a dehumidifier for this room. If so, do you have any recommendations? My pool room itself is only 15x25, but I could get something more powerful if you think this would make sense. Any other suggestions? Or is it normal to change cloth every 6 months with heavy commercial level usage? I have a virtual tournament coming up and I'm already playing better players, it's brutal to spot them a super gritty tough table.
You practice for 50 hours a week? Holy cow! I've never enjoyed ANYTHING that much.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You practice for 50 hours a week? Holy cow! I've never enjoyed ANYTHING that much.
Hahaha. No. I run three day bootcamps with students each week. We put in 10 hours a day on the table for those three days. Then I practice a bit outside of that. Maybe it's closer to 40 hours a week. But I don't shy away from breaking, jumping, or setting up shots and drilling them on the same spot again and again. So it's a commercial table in terms of usage.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Maybe simonis 760 would solve the problem? Its faster than 860
You may want to post your question in the table mechanic forum too

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I had a humidity problem at my old house during the summer months. I don't recall big speed differences but the stickiness of the balls was the biggest issue for me. The balls would throw way more than usual. I'm sure the table speed and cushions played different too but I mostly just remember the huge affect it had on the balls.

You ask a great question though. The newly setup tournament tables at SBE always seem to play lightening fast compared to anywhere else. I don't understand why that is. I'm sure the large cold garage-type venue with high ceilings has something to do with it.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'd figure out how to put about 200 watts under the table. Many heated tables close the bottom of the frame to keep the warm air trapped under the table. It should be fairly inexpensive to jury-rig a test.

Make sure the cue ball is polished. Don't use a phenolic break tip on it.

At carom tournaments the tables are often vacuumed after every match with a serious machine. They want the cloth to be fast.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe simonis 760 would solve the problem? Its faster than 860
You may want to post your question in the table mechanic forum too
Just no. 760 is slippery but it wont have same reactions on draw shots than 860. Also it wear down quicker. Proper pool is not played on 760. Finland actually have now requirement on Finnish Pool Tour places and Finnish Championship hosts have to have 860 or 860HR. It came mandatory early 2000´s because playing with 760 did hurt international level players on international tourneys... As all international tourneys have normally 860 or 860(HR) always.
760 also not lose speed so much as ability to draw/spin shots.

P.S if speed is N.1 requirement good option is to get Simonis 950 Rus Pro(used normally on pyramid tables). It is basically 760 with different weave and cut. It is super fast but spin shots play a lot like on 860. Also a lot more durable than 760. Don´t know why it is so... because it is same material basically. It just is. We transferred from 760 to 950 on our club pyramid and Finnish Kaisa tables 2 years ago, and it is a lot better than 760 in duration of staying good.

Reactions: Pin

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

poolmanis
i respect your skill and knowledge
my understanding is 760 is faster than 860 and long lasting
i have not heard it mentioned that spin results are different on 760 compared to 860
anyone else have an opinion on this?
this from the simonis website regarding the 2 cloths

Simonis 760® - The Original Worsted Blend​

• Combed worsted wool and high thread count assure long lasting wear.
  • Nap-free...will not pill, fluff or shed.
  • Available in 66" and 78" widths.
  • Higher-Speed play for Bank Pool, Straight Pool and One-Pocket
  • Simonis 860® - The Standard for Pool (Worsted)​

• Initially developed for 9-Ball.
    • Slightly slower than the #760 Blend.
    • Combed worsted wool, high thread count and higher wool content assure long lasting wear and reduced ball burning.
    • Nap-free... will not pill, fluff or shed.

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

After a rainy day my dehumidifier pulls a gallon of water every eight hours out of my basement.

Definitely a pool room must have item.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

poolmanis
i respect your skill and knowledge
my understanding is 760 is faster than 860 and long lasting
i have not heard it mentioned that spin results are different on 760 compared to 860
anyone else have an opinion on this?
this from the simonis website regarding the 2 cloths

Simonis 760® - The Original Worsted Blend​

• Combed worsted wool and high thread count assure long lasting wear.
  • Nap-free...will not pill, fluff or shed.
  • Higher-Speed play for Bank Pool, Straight Pool and One-Pocket
  • Simonis 860® - The Standard for Pool (Worsted)​

• Initially developed for 9-Ball.
    • Slightly slower than the #760 Blend.
    • Combed worsted wool, high thread count and higher wool content assure long lasting wear and reduced ball burning.
    • Nap-free... will not pill, fluff or shed.
760 slides more and 860 "grab" more. 860HR when new is between those and maybe little more like 760 than 860. When it get little worn it start to play exactly like 860 but maybe hair faster.
760 is long lasting on terms of speed but not so much with spin.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
46 isnt that high. heck lots of places wish it was that low for them.

but an airconditoner might be better. it will also cool down the room and control the humidity. all a dehumidifier is is an air conditioner that doesnt lower the temp but raises it. and will also draw in more humid air. they do work but not quite as good as an air conditioner. and almost all of them will shut off at 50 percent humidity.
also it needs a hose drain going into a sink or outside. it will fill up the little bucket it comes with way too soon and get real tedious emptying it.
blowing a fan across the table before you play will help dry it out a lot for a time.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
760 slides more and 860 "grab" more. 860HR when new is between those and maybe little more like 760 than 860. When it get little worn it start to play exactly like 860 but maybe hair faster.
760 is long lasting on terms of speed but not so much with spin.
Thanks for your reply