Do you all DO THIS? I'm sure a few of you do, I've seen you

nevadarain

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was wondering how many of you walk into a poolroom, or your basement, bring out your nice cue, and play a nice afternoon or evening of pool with league mates or friends or just practice for the day, and as your racking up balls, or trying to gather balls to be racked, you use the shaft of your pool cue to do it? How many of you all use the cue to collect balls, put balls in position, etc? I'm pretty certain that's the cause of dents on the shaft (among the other abuses the cue may encounter). After playing pool for so long, do you find that this behavior is subconscious? Do you catch yourself doing it? Does it not bother you? Or maybe I'm wrong as far as balls causing dents on cues.

LHP5

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How hard are you raking the balls? I mean using it to scoop up the balls far away shouldn't put dents in your shaft unless you're using alot of force. I've done it with my 314-2 and so far no dents or dings. Supposedly this shaft is made of "softer" wood and I've never had that problem. Just don't rake the balls that hard cause they're not that heavy.

gogg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do it. Pretty rough with my equipment. Never had any real issues.

I move them and steer them and gather them etc... no problems.
How heavy handed would you have to be to dent a shaft ?
I have seen lots of abusers, but don’ count myself as being one.

nevadarain

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh and just to be clear, I don't it, but i only do it with the house cue. But I'm trying to break that habit so it doesn't carry over to when i have finer equipment. But i do it, not hard of course, just to guide the balls to the desired location. But again it's a habit I would like to break.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I don't do it much, and if I do its usually trying to get one stray ball at the other end of the table.

My cue isn't terribly expensive, I don't intentionally bang it around or anything. On the other hand, I don't buy super nice things for just that reason, I don't want to have to baby my gear either.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do it too. I am of stupficcient intileck to know not to do it with force though.

I will also caution all: when drinking any liquid, when placiin class, cup or mug down, make sure the open end if facing up.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was wondering how many of you walk into a poolroom, or your basement, bring out your nice cue, and play a nice afternoon or evening of pool with league mates or friends or just practice for the day, and as your racking up balls, or trying to gather balls to be racked, you use the shaft of your pool cue to do it? How many of you all use the cue to collect balls, put balls in position, etc? I'm pretty certain that's the cause of dents on the shaft (among the other abuses the cue may encounter). After playing pool for so long, do you find that this behavior is subconscious? Do you catch yourself doing it? Does it not bother you? Or maybe I'm wrong as far as balls causing dents on cues.
Consider getting a used Predator with a Revo, focus on the game, and let the cue hype pass you by.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
I've got no problem gently moving a ball or two around with the tip, but I cringe at the thought of raking the balls with the shaft. How about the players that see they're about to scratch, and then stab at the cue ball entering the pocket like they're sticking a wild boar with a knife...

All the best,
WW

nevadarain

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've got no problem gently moving a ball or two around with the tip, but I cringe at the thought of raking the balls with the shaft. How about the players that see they're about to scratch, and then stab at the cue ball entering the pocket like they're sticking a wild boar with a knife...

All the best,
WW

:rotflmao:

Buckzapper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have several cues and 21 or 22 shafts. Each one is free from nicks and dents. None of the ferrules have chalk on them. I use Cuetec shaft cleaner conditioner on them after every day of play and the back of a piece of grade 2000 3M sandpaper makes it very smooth.
I don't scoop balls with the shaft, but I am cautious which mechanical bridge I use. The metal ones will dent a shaft.
When you go to the table with your equipment ready to play, it makes a difference. Ask the victims.

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Never done that. I use my hands to gather pool balls and position my other balls. I often use my cue stick to play pool.