Do you have a "learning style"? Maybe not

Geosnookery

At issue there is chess masters practice memorizing boards. When I was serious about the game in high school, friends and I played games aloud in the car--without a board or pieces--as best we could.
Not quite the same but I could visualize games after I got a computer chess board sometime around 1980. At higher levels it would play good moves fast and I started to anticipate moves. I used to think that if I had that game a decade earlier starting high school, I’d have become the high school champion and dedicated more time to the game. Instead I was a decent player and would win and lose games in our school chess club. My weakness was always closing out a game.

Imac007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting video about how people learn.
My introduction to this dates back to the 1980’s.
Two collaborators recorded sessions of some of the worlds top therapists with an eye to modeling their skills.
Language is description.
People use sensory words to describe their experience.
It acts as a mirror into their inner world.
It was discovered that people had a sensory preference in description and that successful communicators achieved empathy and connection when mirroring the preference style of the receiver.
An early learning styles test looked at the processing styles of the best spellers.
Traditional teaching urged students to sound out words.
Top spellers visualized the word spelling and got a feeling on the midline of their body as to the correctness.
This insight told the researchers that modeling skills involved using the sensory orientation best suited to that skill.

An education researcher, Dawna Markova, delved into the inner workings of sensory processing and learning.
The video tried to parse language and writing as a separate type of sensory learning style but I don’t buy that.
Words are auditory utterances even if we just hear them in our mind.
Writing is a hand eye coordination skill, not specifically a learning style, more a strategy.

Dawna made discoveries of her own regarding sensory processing and levels of consciousness.
She found six distinct learning styles related to sensory processing.
Each level of consciousness, waking consciousness, the subconscious and the unconscious process information differently.
The unconscious thinks in wholes, symbolic, iconic assembled gestalts/understandings.
The subconscious assembles, putting the information together into chunks, like instead of remembering a phone number as 10 separate digits, it reduces it to 3 chunks.
The parts of cue usage are assembled into a larger subconscious entity, we call a stroke.
In early use it might be an elbow hinge, curled fingers, separate wrist, another hand trying to create a bridge as part of learning, before assembly.
Interconnectedness and planning are assembly function, situation recognition, identifying larger patterns.
Waking consciousness is a parts party, noticing the details, taking things apart and identifying and classifying them.
The waking mind breaks things down farther into structure and function elements.

Dawna wrote a book,

The Open Mind : Discovering the Six Patterns of Natural Intelligence​

The insight I got relevant to pool was that each level of consciousness is dominant in a separate sense.
The shorthand for discussing the sensory processing uses V for visual, A for auditory, and K for kinaesthetic.
K includes the physiological emotional components as well as the tactile and our sense of balance.

The skills of pool, on the physical side, are hand/eye, KV.
The subconscious holds most of the tools we can pull into consciousness to execute.
Pattern recognition and situation recognition also reside there.
The conscious mind can bring key awareness of differences that make a difference compared to the library of situational subconscious assembled skill sets.
The subconscious and conscious collaborate to invent what’s needed situationally at the table.
Peak performance has that ability to dip into and trust playing tools while bringing a heightened awareness to the party.
Learning what dominates your subconscious helps determine individually what’s going on in the playing mind, when you are at your best.

Putting learning in boxes with a sensory bow fails to acknowledge the skill and situational needs of the learning acquisition process.
We have handedness preferences, but that doesn’t negate the other hands role, just the prism we use to look at what we do.

Knowing our tendencies helps us recognize and counter competition stress based on how our minds sense it.

There is a site that includes a quiz for determining your natural processing tendencies.
https://drcherylkasdorf.com/2013/02/18/what-learning-style/

When I work with players this is where I try to start.
This is starting with the end in mind, discovering their subconscious realm and plotting a course to assembling their best game.

Last edited:

Imac007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many insights in pool are available without thinking outside the box.
It’s a McGyver thing, using what is available under your nose.
For example, we know, when we are shooting well, that our perception senses an expansion in the size of the balls and the whole.
Big balls and pockets like pails = success.
Einstein reminded us perception was a relative thing.
The person in the car next to you is going 60mph but appear to be standing still relative to us.
A ball or pocket looks bigger under similar circumstances, relative to other perceptions.
Get closer to a ball and it looks bigger, not only that but details on the surface suddenly come into focus.
Smaller details create a relativity situation.
A ball next to a piece of lint or chalk flick is huge in comparison.
8E7FDC09-317A-4CBC-BC14-5020E76BD710.jpeg

Knowing our consciousness profile, relative to perceptual preferences, is one of those things.
Knowing it doesn’t help unless you know how you can use the information.
Our performance state engages the subconscious, automaticity, programmed skill execution.
Our waking consciousness is our comfort zone, yet is a step away from the automatic.
A little adrenaline sharpens our focus and let’s us see the automatic as a starting reference.
Minor modifications from these knowns allows the expert in us to find the differences that make a difference.
As our focus moves away from coordinated execution we become increasingly aware of the parts instead of the whole.
Too much stress and the coordinated whole disintegrates into a pile of parts.
We bring conscious control to execution and it becomes digital instead of the flowing analogue form of the subconscious.
Our focus on the target gets pulled onto parts of our execution movements.
Suddenly how the trained execution takes a backseat in awareness to focus diverting to a feel element of the stroke.
The pause becomes more important than ball interactions.
Or based on your profile, the pause brings back a sharpening of focus and automatic execution, a subconscious trigger.
These allow a strategy to be developed, that makes tactical use of performance triggers, naturally available, for key situations.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many insights in pool are available without thinking outside the box.
It’s a McGyver thing, using what is available under your nose.
For example, we know, when we are shooting well, that our perception senses an expansion in the size of the balls and the whole.
Big balls and pockets like pails = success.
Einstein reminded us perception was a relative thing.
The person in the car next to you is going 60mph but appear to be standing still relative to us.
A ball or pocket looks bigger under similar circumstances, relative to other perceptions.
Get closer to a ball and it looks bigger, not only that but details on the surface suddenly come into focus.
Smaller details create a relativity situation.
A ball next to a piece of lint or chalk flick is huge in comparison.
View attachment 602375
Knowing our consciousness profile, relative to perceptual preferences, is one of those things.
Knowing it doesn’t help unless you know how you can use the information.
Our performance state engages the subconscious, automaticity, programmed skill execution.
Our waking consciousness is our comfort zone, yet is a step away from the automatic.
A little adrenaline sharpens our focus and let’s us see the automatic as a starting reference.
Minor modifications from these knowns allows the expert in us to find the differences that make a difference.
As our focus moves away from coordinated execution we become increasingly aware of the parts instead of the whole.
Too much stress and the coordinated whole disintegrates into a pile of parts.
We bring conscious control to execution and it becomes digital instead of the flowing analogue form of the subconscious.
Our focus on the target gets pulled onto parts of our execution movements.
Suddenly how the trained execution takes a backseat in awareness to focus diverting to a feel element of the stroke.
The pause becomes more important than ball interactions.
Or based on your profile, the pause brings back a sharpening of focus and automatic execution, a subconscious trigger.
These allow a strategy to be developed, that makes tactical use of performance triggers, naturally available, for key situations.
There's such a thing as an overflow of information. It can happen when teaching. The teacher wants to help all at once and throws out a continuing flow of information. The player's eyes start to glaze over and then a mental block goes up and the player gets no benefit. In fact, the player doesn't even absorb what the teacher is saying after awhile.

Unfortunately, that's what's happening to me here in trying to absorb the multitude of bullet points that you are throwing out at us in the last two posts. And although the information may be great and informative, I'm afraid that my learning ability isn't able to stay focused on it. The main reason, I think, is that they are bullet points of many, many different things --- and speaking strictly for myself --- too many for me to absorb. I don't mean this in a negative way because I'm sure the info here is good info. And although you have great things in your head, maybe it's best to stick to one idea at a time. Just a suggestion.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are very welcome!😊

Definitely game logic/strategy is a needed skill, which relies on gathering knowledge and retaining that knowledge. And we already know that solid memory retention requires repetition.

When it comes to memory, the brain really begins working its hardest every night while we are sleeping. That's when it consolidates all the sensory input/data it received or experienced throughout the day.

The more senses that are involved in an experience or learning process, the more effectively and efficiently the mind consolidates the information to memory while we're sleeping.

Basically, multiple sensory inputs are like attaching multiple "handles" to an experience or learning process, and more handles makes it easier for the mind to store and recall the information we're trying to learn.

This is why I always stress to beginners (though it can benefit anyone) to use multiple visual references on cut shots, other than simply referencing the ghostball center or the contact point. These are fine references, but also look at where your aim line is headed in reference to the ob itself. Because the more pertinent visual data a player can attach or associate with any particular shot, the more likely they are to learn that shot quicker and to recall it more accurately when needed.
I was thinking of something else too about that study I participated in....I think that besides memorization skills there were also problem solving-skills, since I was faced with a task, which was to repeat each group of 7 objects that were told to me. When the initial approach wasn't working, I set out to solve the problem and chose a form of memorization that I could relate to in order to complete the task. At work, I was a pretty good problem solver, and in pool, I love rotation games the most because I'm given a definitive problem ---- how to get from one specific ball to another specific ball, and I enjoy the task of figuring out how to do it.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was thinking of something else too about that study I participated in....I think that besides memorization skills there were also problem solving-skills, since I was faced with a task, which was to repeat each group of 7 objects that were told to me. When the initial approach wasn't working, I set out to solve the problem and chose a form of memorization that I could relate to in order to complete the task. At work, I was a pretty good problem solver, and in pool, I love rotation games the most because I'm given a definitive problem ---- how to get from one specific ball to another specific ball, and I enjoy the task of figuring out how to do it.

Problem solvers, people who enjoy puzzles and challenging tasks, are typically more logical and creative when compared to those who don't enjoy such challenges. And it's the repeated practice of problem-solving skills and creative skills that allows your mind to use and associate sensory information more effectively. So, the more you do it the better you get at it. These people are usually more successful than most in everything they do.

When playing 9ball, you look at the current shot and how to get to the next shot as a definitive challenge, or a difinitive puzzle or problem that needs to be resolved.

Your mind immediately recognizes (through association to memory) several solutions, and you flip through these solutions, based on the layout of the other balls, until you logically find one that will work. If there is no logical solution then your creative thinking kicks in and you either create a new solution or accept the fact that there is no good solution ("good" as in helping to achieve the main goal of winning the game).

So then your problem solving skills and creativity turn to the challenge/problem of playing the safety shot. The game itself is the main puzzle, and each definitive shot (each problem that needs solved) is merely a piece of the solution to the larger puzzle.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
play onepocket as your learning style...... :)
you will learn everything you need to know.....(y)

Geosnookery

There's such a thing as an overflow of information. It can happen when teaching. The teacher wants to help all at once and throws out a continuing flow of information. The player's eyes start to glaze over and then a mental block goes up and the player gets no benefit. In fact, the player doesn't even absorb what the teacher is saying after awhile.

Unfortunately, that's what's happening to me here in trying to absorb the multitude of bullet points that you are throwing out at us in the last two posts. And although the information may be great and informative, I'm afraid that my learning ability isn't able to stay focused on it. The main reason, I think, is that they are bullet points of many, many different things --- and speaking strictly for myself --- too many for me to absorb. I don't mean this in a negative way because I'm sure the info here is good info. And although you have great things in your head, maybe it's best to stick to one idea at a time. Just a suggestion.
Bingo.

When I teach guitar to beginners, the first couple of lessons.. I teach a grand total of plucking 3 notes on 3 strings. Nothing else to juggle their thoughts

I’ve never formally taught billiards but my advise is always simple to beginners: ‘keep your cue horizontal and concentrate on hitting centre ball’… that’s it! No extra such as grip like this, stand this way, ghost ball, watch your eblow, follow through, etc.

Introduce one clear concept at a time after the previous one is absorbed completely.

Imac007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Yogi Berra said “Baseball is 90% mental and the other half is physical.”
This is old school.
The mental was looked at as separate from the physical.
Today we know they are interwoven.
The “mental“ consists mainly of sensory information in the primary senses.
Discovering that each level of consciousness is dominant in a different sense means we get to choose the level of consciousness currently processing information, by making it predominant in the mind.
We know that in peak performance the subconscious dominates.
So I devise sensory paths to trigger my subconscious.
I choose to pay attention to certain details.

This information tells us there are 3 different subconscious sensory states.
People have 3 different sensory subconscious styles.
That means at least 3 different individual subconscious strategies for peak performance.

This is about keeping it simple.
It’s about what sense we let dominate our thinking.
Then figuring out when we pull automated skills into consciousness to find the unique sensory keys for finding differences that make a difference in the situation.
This is just another reminder that learned skills are just references to use in individual contexts, sometimes with modifications.

If I present information and don’t connect the dots, people don’t get the message.
If I connect the dots, it’s overload.
Meh!

Last edited:

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is old school.
Discovering that each level of consciousness is dominant in a difference sense means we get to choose the level of consciousness currently processing information, by making it predominant in the mind.

Then figuring out when we pull automated skills into consciousness to find the unique sensory keys for finding differences that make a difference in the situation.
This is just another reminder that learned skills are just references to use in individual contexts, sometimes with modifications.

If I present information and don’t connect the dots, people don’t get the message.
Meh!

Great post!

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bingo.

When I teach guitar to beginners, the first couple of lessons.. I teach a grand total of plucking 3 notes on 3 strings. Nothing else to juggle their thoughts

I’ve never formally taught billiards but my advise is always simple to beginners: ‘keep your cue horizontal and concentrate on hitting centre ball’… that’s it! No extra such as grip like this, stand this way, ghost ball, watch your eblow, follow through, etc.

Introduce one clear concept at a time after the previous one is absorbed completely.
That's how I teach as well. The hardest thing for an instructor to do is to prioritize what should come first FOR THAT PLAYER, and for the rest that needs to get done for that player --- allow the player to continue to make those mistakes while they're working on the more important stuff.

But if you're so inclined to give a player pool advice, then get their stance right first, or no matter how much you tell them to move the cue in a straight line, they probably won't be able to do it if they're fighting their anatomy.

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is old school.
Discovering that each level of consciousness is dominant in a different sense means we get to choose the level of consciousness currently processing information, by making it predominant in the mind.

This information tells us there are 3 different subconscious sensory states.
People have 3 different sensory subconscious styles.
That means at least 3 different individual subconscious strategies for peak performance.

Meh!
could you explain alittle more about the 3 subconscious sensory states
and how to develop/pick a sensory path to trigger the subconcious ?
please...:)

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Nowadays there's an expression that I hear waaaaaaaaaaay to often. Example, when your in a grocery store or? An employee will say ''did you find everything ok''.

My pat response has always been....

''I didn't have the time to look at everything''.

Or, asking me what I think about the food that I'm being served.

Looks good, but ''my taste buds will tell me if I like it''.
OR NOT.

Like moving to FL yrs ago for a yr.
I had to be there, work there and get to know the culture to make a decision to live there.
No brochure or???? Can answer my question, my body and mind will ''come to a conclusion''.
And supply me the answer I seek.

Last edited:

Imac007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
could you explain alittle more about the 3 subconscious sensory states
and how to develop/pick a sensory path to trigger the subconcious ?
please...:)
It starts with the idea that most people have a sensory preference, just like handedness.
Initially waking consciousness was set as the benchmark and the idea of learning styles, considered here was evolved.
Based on analysis of clients in therapeutic settings, eye movement patterns, combined with sensory word use, revealed the dominant sensory preference for the client.
Therapists that matched the sensory processing patterns of their clients achieved rapport and we able to present changes in the client‘s normal pattern for change.
Educators made a generalization that as an initial strategy, creating learning materials based on the learners dominant sensory preference would facilitate learning.
It missed the key element of what prime sensory details were to be learned and how did the experts experience the process.

Dawna Markova realized that for most learning there were 3 primary sensory modes, in the dominance conversation.
They were V, A, and K.
However, learning goes beyond waking consciousness and extends into memory and sub consciousness as learning progresses.
To her surprise each level of consciousness, the conscious mind, subconscious and unconscious each turned out to process information differently.
It also turned out that those levels basically each specialized in a different primary sense.

One of the differences turned out to be the size of the sensory unit used at each level of consciousness.
The conscious mind breaks sensory information into units and subunits.
Visuals can be described in shapes, lines, and other structural terms, or other characteristics like color, hues, intensity, movement, textures, etc.
The subconscious works with bigger chunks that serve like puzzles pieces we can connect or build into larger parts, sensory shot imagery.
They can be movement patterns we have learned through repetition or automatic responses in situations, like habits.
They can be strategies composed of tactics based on situational factor.
In athletic endeavors this is where sport plays, patterns of movement, combination play, strategies and tactics can be assembled into game plans.
This is the toolbox of techniques that can be pulled into situations and executed on cue.

Based on what Dawna learned the subconscious will be either Visual, Auditory, or Kinaesthetic.

Lee Brett talks about how the Conscious mind can process about 50 bits of information per second bit and that the unconscious mind processes millions of bits per second.
The problem with that is, there is an element of truth in it, but only when viewed with the perspective of the conscious mind.
The subconscious mind will see a ten digit number as 3 number chunks, or as Lee Brett showed a consistent transition into a shooting stance.
The millions of details in the Mona Lisa, might just be a single picture in the unconscious minds eye, a singular experience of seeing it in a gallery.
Lee Brett talks about creating a physical separation between the combined subconscious situation on the table with developing a game plan, away from the table, about 3 feet or so.
When he goes to shoot inside that three feet, he needs the subconscious sensory resources to dominate and execute automatically.
Taking the aligned stance acts as a transitional trigger to a subconscious shooting mode.
Any other non subconscious sensory information, like an analytical voice or sudden visual or feeling element showing up as a center focus pushing the subconscious sense into the background, creates a reason to get up.
Breaching the outer perimeter and moving into the action zone acts as a trigger to only work with subconscious sensory details.
Watch the video and you will get a sense of this in action.
In the second video he talks about how his shot awareness starts with feeling the shot from his feet and the proper physical orientation lets him just shoot the shot automatically.
This sequence suggests that his subconscious is Kinesthetically dominant.

Last edited:

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
You are very welcome!😊

Definitely game logic/strategy is a needed skill, which relies on gathering knowledge and retaining that knowledge. And we already know that solid memory retention requires repetition.

When it comes to memory, the brain really begins working its hardest every night while we are sleeping. That's when it consolidates all the sensory input/data it received or experienced throughout the day.

The more senses that are involved in an experience or learning process, the more effectively and efficiently the mind consolidates the information to memory while we're sleeping.

Basically, multiple sensory inputs are like attaching multiple "handles" to an experience or learning process, and more handles makes it easier for the mind to store and recall the information we're trying to learn.

This is why I always stress to beginners (though it can benefit anyone) to use multiple visual references on cut shots, other than simply referencing the ghostball center or the contact point. These are fine references, but also look at where your aim line is headed in reference to the ob itself. Because the more pertinent visual data a player can attach or associate with any particular shot, the more likely they are to learn that shot quicker and to recall it more accurately when needed.
Good point-

teachin the same way- 4 clear cathegories at beginning- then just more and more nuances. the more expirience and repetition, the more she/he will be able to adress the shot line better and better. big point in increasing self-belief also. trust is the key to everything.
Because "what you see is what you get"- the eyes have it. And of course.....knowledge is pure power :)

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It starts with the idea that most people have a sensory preference, just like handedness.
Initially waking consciousness was set as the benchmark and the idea of learning styles, considered here was evolved.
Based on analysis of clients in therapeutic settings, eye movement patterns, combined with sensory word use, revealed the dominant sensory preference for the client.
Therapists that matched the sensory processing patterns of their clients achieved rapport and we able to present changes in the client‘s normal pattern for change.
Educators made a generalization that as an initial strategy, creating learning materials based on the learners dominant sensory preference would facilitate learning.
It missed the key element of what prime sensory details were to be learned and how did the experts experience the process.

Dawna Markova realized that for most learning there were 3 primary sensory modes, in the dominance conversation.
They were V, A, and K.
However, learning goes beyond waking consciousness and extends into memory and sub consciousness as learning progresses.
To her surprise each level of consciousness, the conscious mind, subconscious and unconscious each turned out to process information differently.
It also turned out that those levels basically each specialized in a different primary sense.

One of the differences turned out to be the size of the sensory unit used at each level of consciousness.
The conscious mind breaks sensory information into units and subunits.
Visuals can be described in shapes, lines, and other structural terms, or other characteristics like color, hues, intensity, movement, textures, etc.
The subconscious works with bigger pictures that serve like puzzles pieces we can assemble it larger parts.
They can be movement patterns we have learned through repetition or automatic responses in situations, like habits.
They can be strategies composed of tactics based on situational factor.
In athletic endeavors this is where sport plays, patterns of movement, combination play, strategies and tactics can be assembled into game plans.
This is the toolbox of techniques that can be pulled into situations and executed on cue.

Based on what Dawna learned the subconscious will be either Visual, Auditory, or Kinaesthetic.

Lee Brett talks about how the Conscious mind can process about 50 bits of information per second bit that the unconscious mind processes millions of bits per second.
The problem with that is, there is an element of truth in it, but only when viewed with the perspective of the conscious mind.
The subconscious mind will see a ten digit number as 3 number chunks.
The millions of details in the Mona Lisa, might just be a single picture in the unconscious minds eye, a singular experience of seeing it in a gallery.
Lee Brett talks about creating a physical separation between the combined subconscious situation on the table with developing a game plan, away from the table, about 3 feet or so.
When he goes to shoot inside that three feet, he needs the subconscious sensory resources to dominate and execute automatically.
Any other non subconscious sensory information, like an analytical voice or sudden visual or feeling element showing up as a center focus pushing the subconscious sense into the background, creates a reason to get up.
Breaching the outer perimeter and moving into the action zone acts as a trigger to only work with subconscious sensory details.
Watch the video and you will get a sense of this in action.
In the second video he talks about how his shot awareness starts with feeling the shot from his feet and the proper physical orientation lets him just shoot the shot automatically.
This sequence suggests that his subconscious is Kinesthetically dominant.
THANK YOU .... (y) :)

Imac007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Taking the aligned stance acts as a transitional trigger to a subconscious shooting mode.
Just as a point of interest, triggers tend to be physical.
An emotional response, as found in phobias, triggers a cascade in response.
A forward press as found in golf, or ball bounces as found in tennis or basketball, trigger the attached behavior.

In my case, my subconscious is visual.
Where Brett triggers the stance into the whole swing starting with a foot placement vertical leg, I too have a physical transition.
My heel is about where his is, but my foot is pivoted towards the cb.
I stand squarer and my left feet is about half my foot length ahead.
My trigger is to bend from my slightly angled hip line with my long bridged cue hinging down the line where my head advanced to the shot line from away from the table.
The vertical leg stiffening as I hinge is my trigger to all things visual taking center focus.
I heard Jim Wych describe it as a bubble, during commentating.
The visual elements I have identified during planning and aiming come into play.
The long bridge during pre-foot plant places the cue visually on the reference line and any cue line modifications, deviations from the subconscious shot picture, help set the cue line.
Now my foot, vertical leg and hip bend hinge me down the line, shortening my bridge to normal.
Part of that shortening is me watching my cue come back straight before finding its final resting place pointed on target.
The straightness test, with tip contact set, then lets me turn the execution over to the automatic straight cueing vision set.
My kinesthetic reside in my unconscious.
If I am aware of the physical parts of the stroke here, I need to get up.
While the feel part of execution and pace are indeed part of the shot, only detached background and peripheral awareness should be there.
At the end of most strokes I’m not aware of the physical only the visuals.

This is a personal process that applies to my specific consciousness profile.
Each persons trigger will likely be specific to them.
People sometimes wear a rubber band on their wrist, they snap, when wanting to initiate (trigger) specific behaviors.

Apologies to Fran if this feels like a further overflow of information.

Last edited:

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
This is really great stuff. Thanks for posting it. So what other skills do you think would make certain pool players or chess players, stand out from the rest? What about logic? Where does that fit into the concepts of learning and memorization?
If you are interested in stuff like this, I much recommend the book "The Sports Gene" if you haven't read it yet. It details the story of Albert Pujols - one of baseball's greatest hitters in his time - who was completely blown away by a softball pitcher throwing underhand. Upon goading by Barry Bonds, the same pitcher, throwing underhand, demolished him with pitches traveling about 68mph, well below what these two were subject to in overhand pitches in MLB. How is that possible? The book offers this thesis before explaining the rest: "It's because the only way to hit a ball traveling at high speed is to be able to see into the future, and when a baseball player faces a softball pitcher, he is stripped of his crystal ball."

It's been a while since I've read it, but I do believe it covers the chess story as well.

As for me, I guess I'm what this would call kinesthetic? I need to go through the experience of something to really get a handle on it. Worst thing for me is being handed instructions and just left alone - I often have too many questions and confusions.

Last edited: