Do you pick Thorsten Hohmann as the World's No. 1 Player?

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
There's not really any such thing as a best in the world right now, just the best for a given stretch of time.
If you're lucky that stretch of time is a long one... like Mika was the best for all of 2009.
Thorsten's stretch is several months now. Who knows if it will last or who will take over next.

I've heard gripes the HOF is not totally objective or unbiased so who knows if he'll make that.
And as for all-time, how do you compare a modern player who does 8/9/10b/14.1/1p to guys who dominated
only straight pool for decades?

Let's say that Thorsten is a real threat in any of the existing popular tournament formats.
He may not beat shane in 10 ball race to 100, but outside of a tar-length race he can win any straight pool
or 9b/10b tournament.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well ... here's my opinion. About twice a week a buddy of mine and I get together to play some pool. We flip a coin for the first break. He wins every single time, well, 90% anyway.

Is he a better coin flipper than I am?

My opinion is you can't determine the best player by a game that is SO sub par to the level of play these guys are capable of. Namely 9 ball and 10 ball. Far too much luck involved, and far too little challenge for these guys to run out to say who the best player is based on those games.

The best POOL player in general not rotation player, can only be determined by straight pool. It's the game with the least degree of luck involved, the requirement for the best and longest concentration, imagination and pattern play.

From there ... waddia think? Who's the best pool player?

Well the same guys seem to be getting lucky year after year. Check the top 5 this year and last. Then check the years before that.

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
World's number one? In 14.1, yes, RIGHT NOW. In time he WILL be number one (as the major components of the game go, e.g. 10-, 9, 8-, ball & 14.1).

I feel it would be great for him to win a one-pocket tournament so as to establish himself as a true force. Or has one-hole gone by the wayside as merely an "extra dimension."

In any case, Mr. Hohmann is on track for a long career. He is considered in my eyes, the pool player who is healthy, both through exercise and nutrition. One who will be around a very long time. Plenty of time to become NUMBER ONE.....

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
World's number one? In 14.1, yes, RIGHT NOW. In time he WILL be number one (as the major components of the game go, e.g. 10-, 9, 8-, ball & 14.1).

I feel it would be great for him to win a one-pocket tournament so as to establish himself as a true force. Or has one-hole gone by the wayside as merely an "extra dimension."

In any case, Mr. Hohmann is on track for a long career. He is considered in my eyes, the pool player who is healthy, both through exercise and nutrition. One who will be around a very long time. Plenty of time to become NUMBER ONE.....

You're talking like he is a rookie- He won the 9B World Championship 10 years ago.

Thorsten has

You're talking like he is a rookie- He won the 9B World Championship 10 years ago.

Won the world 9 ball championship twice. The world 14.1 title three times (it was an official world championship in 2006) and the BCA open. In 2006 he won the then largest monetary prize in the history of pool when he won an Ipt 8ball event pocketing $350k. In between, he was won many international and US regional pro events. You are looking at a future BCA hall of famer and straight pool hall of famer.

Currently, he has won the last 4 of 5 events he has entered
Accu-stats 14.1
World 14.1
World 9ball
Maryland 14.1

Nullus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is such a subjective, and opinionated topic. It's right there with "who is the best player of all time?", where old timers will favor the likes of Mosconi and others, while a different generation will lean towards Reyes era players and the younger still will go for SVB or another of the new generation of players.

More important than who is the best player right now is the question of whether he has already earned consideration for the HoF. There are a lot of great tournaments, in different game formats so while he might win straight pool and/or 9-ball, he might not win 10-ball which seems to be hot new game these last few years. So which tournament winner is better than the other? Who is to say, really? Maybe the field was tougher in one than in the other.

Back to the question of the HoF consideration. It's still a matter of opinion, and for what it's worth, I would say yes, he definitely has one foot in the door (as another reader posted), but he's still young and by the time he's actually considered, which could be years away, there might have been one or even two dozen other players come along in the form of a SVB, Toastie himself, or the second coming of the Pearl.

We are human and subject to crazy emotions where we can quickly take a hot young player and begin to think of him as an all time great. As such, players get put on different levels and sometimes unfortunately take the luster off of the accomplishments of those that came before them and set the standard.

I think he's going to be in the HoF one day, but it's a little early to even worry about it, he's young and on fire currently, why don't we just sit back and enjoy watching him play some very good pool? It's what i'm planning on doing.

LeftyIke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does Hohmann's supposed reluctance to gamble,push him lower in the rankings to hard-Core Gamblers such as Orcullo,SVB,Alex P.,Effren,etc...?

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
The "Best" in the World is still Jeanette Lee according to a universal rating system

Thorsten seems to be great at a number of games,especially Straight Pool,but wins over great players in 9 & 10 Ball too. Can you consider him the Best in the World right now,and a cinch hall-of-Famer? Where do you rank him All-Time? I realize that he's only 34 or so.

The "Best" in the World is still Jeanette Lee according to the universal way of keeping score. ;) Her income from pool matches the 5 top Men put together....like Billy Incardona says, it's not how many games you win, it's the money you win that truly matters.....'The Prize Money is the Teacher'

jeanette_lee-copy-197x300.jpg
Jeanette-Lee.jpg
28th+Annual+Women+Sports+Foundation+Awards+I5fE2jB5Dmel.jpg

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I take it you're going to Indiana soon-ahahahahaha

and yes-she knows how to work a room-real well.

Last edited:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who is #1 is a matter of opinion but Hohmann will be a top player for a long time because he works out and stays in shape.

There is a long list of players who were on top for a minute but poor habits and failure to take care of their body caused their game to decline.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
I think there are other pool-related halls of fame in existence. For example, OnePocket.org has a hall of fame. :)

BCA has a hall of fame. :)

New England Pool has a hall of fame. :)

I am curious if there are any other pool-related entities that have a hall of fame.

Are Americans the only ones who have pool-related halls of fame?

Jam, you left out the CW Hall of Fame. :rolleyes:.:grin-square: