Does a touch of outside...

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With a gearing stun shot, there will be no noticeable difference in the hit with or without a chalk mark at the contact point.
Wow I didn't think that would be the case. I would have thought the chalk would be too much to overcome. I want to try it myself today before I believe it. :thumbup:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
With a gearing stun shot, there will be no noticeable difference in the hit with or without a chalk mark at the contact point.
BRussell:
Wow I didn't think that would be the case. I would have thought the chalk would be too much to overcome. I want to try it myself today before I believe it. :thumbup:
It makes sense when you realize that gearing English means the contact points on the CB and OB are both completely stationary while in contact - like a single point on a rolling tire when it meets the ground. Since there's no movement while in contact, there's no friction to overcome.

pj
chgo

ps611846

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We knew that. Just seeing if you did.

pj
chgo

You knew and you know nothing. Manual pivoting is a technique that is used to create "center sidespin" on the cue ball. IT IS NOT USED TO "HELP" YOU FIND THE CONTACT POINT OR GHOST BALL. By initially placing your cue tip on specific points on the cue ball, you pivot to the perceived ccb and with proper stroke technique you spin the cue ball (very slightly). By doing that (if you know what you are doing, which of course you don't....) you play every shot dealing with "SIT".

With this technique you have to learn how the pivots change as cb-ob distance increases. The angles are played different every 2 diamonds of cb-ob distance. So, the player who knows what he is doing (not you of course....) automatically knows when a shot is "0-2", or "2-4", or "4-6", or "6-8".

By adjusting your feet position (stance) you can play the 3 different basic stroke speeds (low, medium, high). This is critical because with different stroke speed you change the rotational speed of the cue ball, which creates a different contact with the object ball and changes the angle. With this system, playing the correct visual alignment at low speed (without knowing how to adjust your stance) will result in an "overcut" and no "undercut" as someone might think.

Spin shots are played the same way with only a visual alignment adjustment. The shaft (ld or not) has nothing to do with accuracy because you play the cb-ob distance.

As I have said before, YOU have zero knowledge of what I am talking about. But your extremely low IQ (others in this forum are as ignorant as you) guides you to laugh at me and my posts.

Your ignorance is your problem. And it is the main problem for lots of guys here.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
If the CB doesn't rub sideways on the OB during contact, there can be no sliding friction or throw (or an excessive amount of throw, AKA cling/skid/kick).

If you are still not convinced, the videos and articles on the gearing outside english resource page might help. FYI, there is some fairly new stuff there.

Regards,
Dave

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Manual pivoting is a technique that is used to create "center sidespin" on the cue ball. ... By initially placing your cue tip on specific points on the cue ball, you pivot to the perceived ccb and with proper stroke technique you spin the cue ball (very slightly). By doing that you play every shot dealing with "SIT".
So it's just adding a little outside spin, like every other method of compensating for CIT (not SIT). It sounds like you pivot to it with backhand English (although you may not recognize that's what it is), but it's still the same hit on the CB at the same angle - or you'll miss the shot.

Any normal stroke works for this.

pj
chgo

ps611846

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So it's just adding a little outside spin, like every other method of compensating for CIT (not SIT). It sounds like you pivot to it with backhand English (although you may not recognize that's what it is), but it's still the same hit on the CB at the same angle - or you'll miss the shot.

Any normal stroke works for this.

pj
chgo

No, it is not "THAT EASY" Mr Professor !!!!! You hope it was so simple, don't ya ???

And I didn't mean "CIT" Mr Professor. I mean "SIT". I know what I am talking about. I have no need for corrections on what I post from "IGNORANTS" like you.

Any normal stroke works for this ????
Another joke from the "Professor"..........

Last edited:

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the CB doesn't rub sideways on the OB during contact, there can be no sliding friction or throw (or an excessive amount of throw, AKA cling/skid/kick).

If you are still not convinced, the videos and articles on the gearing outside english resource page might help. FYI, there is some fairly new stuff there.

Regards,
Dave

It makes sense when you realize that gearing English means the contact points on the CB and OB are both completely stationary while in contact - like a single point on a rolling tire when it meets the ground. Since there's no movement while in contact, there's no friction to overcome.

pj
chgo

Awesome, thanks and it does make sense when you say it like that. It violates my (incorrect) intuition that the chalk mark is a kind of 'hook' or glue that makes the OB stick to the CB regardless of the spin.

sammylane12

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does a touch of outside prevent skids better?[/QUOTE

Mike Sigel says that is that it does. I can`t remember where I read that but Sigel says to put a touch of outside on cut shots to prevent possible skids. I do it and believe it to be true.

ps611846

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To ENGLISH!: Wow, 3 thumbs up for ps611846's post. Is it because you fully understand and/or agree with what he said, or is it because of the digs at PJ? I'd bet it's the latter (it's not TOI, ya know). You'll eventually get banned again in the near future, no doubt.

To ps611846: I tried to follow along and understand this "manual pivoting" but couldn't figure it out. The phrase "Center sidespin" alone doesn't even sound possible.

The way you described it sort of sounds like reverse BHE......setting the tip "on a specific point" (? not at center) and then pivoting back to "perceived" CCB. And what is the "proper stroke technique"? Are you talking about a swiping-like technique on the last forward stroke? I'd think anything other than a straight stroke would be ill advised.

Back to setting the tip at a "specific point". How is this determined? Example: where would you set the tip for a half-ball cut to the left wanting to use about 1 tip of running english (outside) and medium speed? Is this initial placement parallel to the shot line? Are you then pivoting with the bridge hand or with the grip hand? I'd guess depending on how it's done, the bridge placement is critical, too.

Is this Manual Pivoting you're talking about a secret technique the Filipino's have been using all these years to dominate pocket billiards. Or just something that Bustamante uses? I'd like to hear more about it. Thanks.

DTL

Hello DTL,

The points on the cue ball are just two. You always place your tip to the one or the other. No matter if you hit with or without sidespin. "Center sidespin" sounds a bit weird, but it is discussed (not in detail) in the Monk's book "The Lesson".
For sidespin shots , one point works for right spin and the other works for left.

Yes, proper stroke technique is critical. It has nothing to do with the stroke technique taught by instructors. You need to use your shoulder and wrist in many ways. Different stroking motions for different cb-ob distance. And also different stroking motion for Cuts and Banks within the same 2 diamond distance range.

Francisco has been criticized for his stroke and fundamentals. But he knows exactly what he does and everything is on purpose.

The biggest mistake he made in his game as he grew older, was that he started playing a lot with an open bridge. And this system works better with a closed bridge because of the different stroking motions. If you watch his matches from the past, he was using the closed bridge 90%. Now he uses open bridge 90%.

If you ever visit Greece, let me know. We will discuss these things at the pool table.

Thanks for reading

Panagiotis

Last edited:

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For what it's worth, I tried putting a big chalk mark on an object ball to get a kick/skid, and then doing it again but with outside English.

A few things I noticed:

1. Using outside English definitely made the object ball stay on a truer path, despite hitting the chalk mark. In fact the problem was that I often got the OB to react like a kick in the OTHER direction, as if I hit it too thin. I assume this was from using too much outside english?
2. Although the OB stayed on a truer path with the outside English, it often still sounded funny and reacted like what most people would classify as a kick - a bit of a hop. Perhaps this was because of some forward roll on the cue ball?

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I often got the OB to react like a kick in the OTHER direction, as if I hit it too thin. I assume this was from using too much outside english?
Yes, it's like a straight shot - any unintended side spin, especially with a chalk mark, will have maximum effect. This sensitivity to error is one reason I don't like the technique.

...it often still sounded funny and reacted like what most people would classify as a kick - a bit of a hop. Perhaps this was because of some forward roll on the cue ball?
That's what I'd guess, especially if the cut angle wasn't too great.

pj
chgo

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
To ENGLISH!: Wow, 3 thumbs up for ps611846's post. Is it because you fully understand and/or agree with what he said, or is it because of the digs at PJ? I'd bet it's the latter (it's not TOI, ya know). You'll eventually get banned again in the near future, no doubt.

To ps611846: I tried to follow along and understand this "manual pivoting" but couldn't figure it out. The phrase "Center sidespin" alone doesn't even sound possible.

The way you described it sort of sounds like reverse BHE......setting the tip "on a specific point" (? not at center) and then pivoting back to "perceived" CCB. And what is the "proper stroke technique"? Are you talking about a swiping-like technique on the last forward stroke? I'd think anything other than a straight stroke would be ill advised.

Back to setting the tip at a "specific point". How is this determined? Example: where would you set the tip for a half-ball cut to the left wanting to use about 1 tip of running english (outside) and medium speed? Is this initial placement parallel to the shot line? Are you then pivoting with the bridge hand or with the grip hand? I'd guess depending on how it's done, the bridge placement is critical, too.

Is this Manual Pivoting you're talking about a secret technique the Filipino's have been using all these years to dominate pocket billiards? Or is it just something that Bustamante uses? I'd like to hear more about it. Thanks.

DTL

ps Standby for a PM from ENGLISH!

He & I have communicated in the past & he's spent 7 years on what he mentioned here.

He PM'd me to thank me for the Thumbs Up & I responded by asking him if it would not be too cumbersome, could he give me a bit more detail as I feel that I have at least some of what he speaks of on a subconscious level. One can get that when one has used english for nearly 50 years.

I doubt that he would ever put it out here in the open forum where he has been criticized by some that have only been playing for less than a year & now you've basically made sport of him along with PJ.

It really is a bit of a shame when experienced & knowledgeable individuals have to go underground. I takes away from those that might benefit the most.

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, Plus

Does a touch of outside prevent skids better?

The outside English will help the ball take the true line.

With no English on the same shot you need to hit about an 1/8 of a ball less.

It's pretty simple once a player understands it but a player almost has to be shown.

I show players how to measure a ball with the cue in the last chapter of my video. My measurement will show about the same as the ghost ball. On this shot you can hit the amount of the measurement with outside and throw it in.

But on the same shot with no English you need to hit about an 1/8 of a ball less or it will come up short.

Last edited:

California Fats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When there is a thinner cut I need to make, I can consistently make it with applying outside english. It makes the shot easier, in a way... It's really about what works for you, but I know several people that feel the same way.

With that being said, I recently started practicing sharp cuts with center ball and inside. I found myself making the shot, but ending up with terrible shape on the next ball. The bad thing about getting used to shooting with outside is that your next ball may not call for it.