Does Schmelke "surgical pin" fit Uni-Loc brand radial shaft?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does a Schmelke butt with a "surgical pin" option fit a shaft with the genuine Uni-Loc brand radial female thread, without modifications?

Thanks!

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To update this thread, I bought a radial pin schmelke from the billiard warehouse for $165. I compared it to a genuine (by eye) and the pitch looked dead on. A radial predator brand shaft screwed on fine.

Unfortunately, the cue is a complete pos. The stock shaft tip comes off the table about 1/8” per revolution. The pin visibly wobbles if I roll the butt by itself. When I screw on the radial predator shaft, the joint is non-concentric by a mile. (It is concentric with the stock shaft). The predator shaft tip flaps 1/2” like a fish. The rest of the cue is pretty bad too.

I have one more on order custom made 60” long for me. I’ll report back if it’s same/better/worse.

The cue I bought isn’t worth $50 imo.

I didn’t even know a cue could be made this crappy.

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
There was anorher recent thread identifying the same problem (Schmelke not bothering to center the joint pin and just sanding the shaft and butt together to force the fit). Too bad as I've been happy with their blanks.

It skid

To update this thread, I bought a radial pin schmelke from the billiard warehouse for $165. I compared it to a genuine (by eye) and the pitch looked dead on. A radial predator brand shaft screwed on fine.

Unfortunately, the cue is a complete pos. The stock shaft tip comes off the table about 1/8” per revolution. The pin visibly wobbles if I roll the butt by itself. When I screw on the radial predator shaft, the joint is non-concentric by a mile. (It is concentric with the stock shaft). The predator shaft tip flaps 1/2” like a fish. The rest of the cue is pretty bad too.

I have one more on order custom made 60” long for me. I’ll report back if it’s same/better/worse.

How did the "one more on order custom made 60” long for me. I’ll report back if it’s same/better/worse." go?

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
There was anorher recent thread identifying the same problem (Schmelke not bothering to center the joint pin and just sanding the shaft and butt together to force the fit). Too bad as I've been happy with their blanks.
Those few recent threads are about the only place I've heard of this particular issue, but that is several times now recently on something that is just inexcusable (joint pins that are not straight and at least real close to centered). Used to be that you never heard anything but great things about Schmelke and that they were great quality for the price. Does anybody know if Schmelke changed their process and/or relaxed their standards recently that is causing these non-centered and non-straight joint pins, or have they always made them that way and for some reason nobody ever mentioned it all these years until recently?

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dang Iusedtoberich > Perhaps David lost his longtime employees due to all that free 'stay home' ca$h being passed the last 2 years ? If I had anything close to what is being mentioned I would bring it up to David Schmelke. It's his name and longtime USA family owned company. I think he would want to be made aware of any pin centering / facing defects and sloppy assembly.

I have a fire coco 60" premium blank and upgraded shaft with Micarta ferrule player I bought off a member here about 3 years ago that I will put up on any $600+ Frey true Sneaky ( which I have owned several )

I have recommended ( pre virus) Schmelke to numerious friends and acquaintances wanting a nice custom order made in USA cue and a reasonable price and have checked/inspected them all.....ZERO issues.

Cheers,
Kat

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Update: I received my custom ordered 60" Schmelke about a week ago. Its as if it was made by a completely different company. The pin is concentric with the butt. The cue rolls straight, together and apart, with both the OEM and the Revo shaft. The finish is nice. (Finish on prior one was all craters, horrible). I like the cue quite a bit.

I don't know what to think. Based on the first cue I wouldn't play with one if you paid me to play with it. Based on the second cue its a great value for the money, and pretty good even without regard for the money.

I guess its a crapshoot? I don't know.

Edit: there were a couple defects in the 60", but for the price I'll look the other way. Its super playable. The 58" first cue was completely unplayable.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Update: I received my custom ordered 60" Schmelke about a week ago. Its as if it was made by a completely different company. The pin is concentric with the butt. The cue rolls straight, together and apart, with both the OEM and the Revo shaft. The finish is nice. (Finish on prior one was all craters, horrible). I like the cue quite a bit.

I don't know what to think. Based on the first cue I wouldn't play with one if you paid me to play with it. Based on the second cue its a great value for the money, and pretty good even without regard for the money.

Edit: there were a couple defects in the 60", but for the price I'll look the other way. Its super playable. The 58" first cue was completely unplayable.
Did you ever try to get first one taken care of? Never heard of on their cues to be that bad. Surely they would have made it right.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did you ever try to get first one taken care of? Never heard of on their cues to be that bad. Surely they would have made it right.
No. I didn’t want the hassle. I decided I’d either give it away or use it to practice replacing a joint pin.

It skid

Billiardwarehouse would have an easy return policy, no? Given the condition is obviously that crappy as you described.

It skid

Put up some pictures please to compare the previous faulty cue with the new better one. Especially on the crooked joint.

Thunder Thighs

I'm your Huckleberry
Silver Member
I had a 4 point 4 veneer Schmelke a couple of years ago. Points weren't even, but that was expected. However the veneers were all different thickness. Linen wrap was also rough and seemed unpressed. That bugged me so I sold it.

jgpool

Cue ball draw with this?
Silver Member
I have 3 Schmelkes 2 of them over 47 years old and re-furbished and 1 that is about 7 years old. All wonderful hitting cues. Don't own a post virus Schmelke.