Does the 20 count on the break?

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
Settle something: if 2 players are playing 10b (call shot) for money, and they never mentioned 10 on the break when making the game, is it a win?

Edit: goddamn it, you can’t edit a thread title.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Settle something: if 2 players are playing 10b (call shot) for money, and they never mentioned 10 on the break when making the game, is it a win?

No real way to settle it, as it should have been discussed when the game was made to clarify it.

IMO it spots, but my opinion and a buck will get you a cheap cup of coffee. :grin:

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've NEVER heard of having to call the money ball on the break, regardless. Always considered a win.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not in 10ball. "Normally" does not count as win on break. WPA it has to go last, in Pro 10 you can carom/combo for win. Some people play exact same rules as 9 ball but i never have.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He had a wild 8 and it counted on one of his earlier breaks. So he thought the 10 did too. Rack your own and the 10 went in the bottom corner.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
IMO it spots, but my opinion and a buck will get you a cheap cup of coffee. :grin:

....and your opinion and two bucks will get you a tough steak. :D

I too think it should spot. But then....it's of my opinion that NO game of pool should be won from the break (unless it's something akin to APA's 9-ball point system).

Maniac

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not in 10ball. "Normally" does not count as win on break. WPA it has to go last, in Pro 10 you can carom/combo for win. Some people play exact same rules as 9 ball but i never have.

Not being aware of the above, I would have counted it a win. Playing for money you can do whatever you want. Another reason I no longer play rotation games.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Does the 20 count on the break?
Settle something: if 2 players are playing 10b (call shot) for money, and they never mentioned 20 on the break when making the game, is it a win?

Now that that's out of the way....

That's the problem you get when a game has multiple rule sets. There have probably been 10 (or 20;)) different versions of 10 ball rules. I would go with the WPA rules for 10 ball even though I don't particularly like them. The best alternative is to ask a regular who was not watching the game how he usually plays or how he has seen people play and be careful not to let him know which player made the 10.

And in case anyone was incredulous or wondering what a 20 ball looks like, here you go:

IMG_0977.jpg

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He had a wild 8 and it counted on one of his earlier breaks. So he thought the 10 did too. Rack your own and the 10 went in the bottom corner.

In my room that would not count playing rack your own. It counts if made in any of the top 4 pockets. Counts anywhere if opponent racks.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I might have misunderstood about if he had an 8b that dropped and won the game for him, not sure as his statement was ambiguous. But they did agree to if the 8b dropped, that was a Win.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

My 2 euro cents:

No. If they’re calling shots in 10-ball, then the 10-ball isn’t wild. The 10 ball not counting on the break was one of the very first rules changed in 10 ball, once 10 ball became popular. The initial was that a 10 ball in the bottom two corners on the break was not a win.

Freddie <~~~ IMNSHO

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I might have misunderstood about if he had an 8b that dropped and won the game for him, not sure as his statement was ambiguous. But they did agree to if the 8b dropped, that was a Win.

My understanding is that they agreed to the wild 8, not the wild 10.

donuteric

always a newbie
Silver Member
My understanding is that they agreed to the wild 8, not the wild 10.

My interpretation as well. I was surprised he managed to negotiate a flip out of the move. What impressed me was KT just sit there the entire time, came back, and ran out the rack with her first opportunity at the table.

Bbutler

topshots.ca
Silver Member
I've always played that the 20 counts double. This may be the second time you were wrong. :p

That's the problem you get when a game has multiple rule sets. There have probably been 10 (or 20;)) different versions of 10 ball rules. I would go with the WPA rules for 10 ball even though I don't particularly like them. The best alternative is to ask a regular who was not watching the game how he usually plays or how he has seen people play and be careful not to let him know which player made the 10.

And in case anyone was incredulous or wondering what a 20 ball looks like, here you go:

Everyone knows it's the 21-ball that counts double, not the 20-ball. Jeesh...

YpBZCiqWkk7OLSFpEqoFfA.jpg

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone having watched her a lot thinks there's a 80pt Fargo separation between her and Chen?

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
I've always played that the 20 counts double. This may be the second time you were wrong. :p

View attachment 513644

They did actually call a couple guys on the phone to ask how they normally play, but they could only agree to take the word of guys who gamble heavy on 10-ball. They called Donny Mills and Justin Bergman, neither of whom answered. Then they just flipped a coin to settle it, which I think was a concession in the name of good customer service by Tkach’s camp.

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
My interpretation as well. I was surprised he managed to negotiate a flip out of the move. What impressed me was KT just sit there the entire time, came back, and ran out the rack with her first opportunity at the table.

That impressed those of us in the room too. She just sat back and didn’t move a muscle or utter a sound until there was once again pool to be played.

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
My 2 euro cents:

No. If they’re calling shots in 10-ball, then the 10-ball isn’t wild. The 10 ball not counting on the break was one of the very first rules changed in 10 ball, once 10 ball became popular. The initial was that a 10 ball in the bottom two corners on the break was not a win.

Freddie <~~~ IMNSHO

Several of us standing right there and not wanting to get involved came to this consensus. It should only ever count in a non-call-shot game.