Dr. Dave Schools Neil deGrasse Tyson in Billiards Physics

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
You never know. A show like "To tell the truth", or "Kelly and Ryan", even Colbert. You are an interesting guy. Maybe some out side the box thinking.

At a time when intelligence seems to be looked down on and ingorence fostered, you and what you do are different.

Thank you for the vote of confidence. I appreciate it.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Dave, you're funny.

I loved the planets comparison and hitting Neil with it. lol...I've heard his take on Pluto before.

I think they liked you, too, and I bet you get asked for a repeat.

Jeff Livingston

Rocket354

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You never know. A show like "To tell the truth", or "Kelly and Ryan", even Colbert. You are an interesting guy. Maybe some out side the box thinking.

At a time when intelligence seems to be looked down on and ingorence fostered, you and what you do are different.
Or something like what Bill Nye does. If Dave could expand his analysis a bit, I could see him having a very popular channel/show outside of the billiards world. Analyzing the physics of basketball one day, then baseball, maybe even topics outside of sports. He could give his informative, humorous, and (most importantly) functional view on many things, and fill the need after Neil. That is, Neil introduces people to a concept, and really is for raw beginners who are curious. Then Dave's focus can be on people who now want to understand more in-depth so they can use the material in practice.

Might be easier said than done, I'm sure, but if Dave were giving an analysis on how to best hit a jump shot, or even thoughts on how to best hang a light fixture, I'd certainly watch.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Or something like what Bill Nye does. If Dave could expand his analysis a bit, I could see him having a very popular channel/show outside of the billiards world. Analyzing the physics of basketball one day, then baseball, maybe even topics outside of sports. He could give his informative, humorous, and (most importantly) functional view on many things, and fill the need after Neil. That is, Neil introduces people to a concept, and really is for raw beginners who are curious. Then Dave's focus can be on people who now want to understand more in-depth so they can use the material in practice.

Might be easier said than done, I'm sure, but if Dave were giving an analysis on how to best hit a jump shot, or even thoughts on how to best hang a light fixture, I'd certainly watch.

Again, I appreciate the vote of confidence, but I'm happy just continuing to do YouTube videos with billiards instruction. I really enjoy doing it, and people seem to appreciate it.

Thanks again!

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
FYI, I just posted a shortened and illustrated version of the podcast video. I have been working really hard on it this past week and the StarTalk producer just gave me permission to publish it. It focuses on all the interesting billiards physics stuff and includes lots of example shots, illustrations, images, and animations. Please check it out and let me know what you think:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
FYI, I just posted a shortened and illustrated version of the podcast video. I have been working really hard on it this past week and the StarTalk producer just gave me permission to publish it. ...
It would be nice if Star Talk could link to it somehow.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Nicely done, Dave. I agree with Neil: students would enjoy and benefit from your stuff - and the equal opposite reaction would be more pool players. :)

pj
chgo

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FYI, I just posted a shortened and illustrated version of the podcast video. I have been working really hard on it this past week and the StarTalk producer just gave me permission to publish it. It focuses on all the interesting billiards physics stuff and includes lots of example shots, illustrations, images, and animations. Please check it out and let me know what you think:

Absolutely genius. It amazing how well you edited this. If this was the video I had originally seen then I wouldn’t have lost as much respect for the StarTalk guys as I did. Fantastic work.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Absolutely genius. It amazing how well you edited this. If this was the video I had originally seen then I wouldn’t have lost as much respect for the StarTalk guys as I did. Fantastic work.

Thanks! It helped that I was able to pull from many of my past videos and resources, but this one still took a lot of time and work to put together. But this was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, so I wanted to give it my full effort and attention. Thanks for watching.

WoodyJ

Sacred Cow=Best Hamburger
Gold Member
Silver Member
I made a few mistakes I wish I could have gotten them to fix or edit out, but nothing major. For example, I said "The Color of Money" came out in 1996 (instead of 1986). :eek:
Also, IIRC, it was stated that The Hustler came out in 1960. It was 1961.

Thanks for all you do.