Dress Code for Gold Crown Billiards, Erie, PA

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
Saint Peter is sitting at the Pearly Gates when two men wearing hoodies arrived.

St. Peter looked out through the Gates and said "Wait here. I will be right back."

St. Peter goes over to God's chambers and tells him who is waiting for entrance. God says to Peter: "How many times do I have to tell you, you can't be racist and judgmental here. This is heaven. All are loved. All are brothers.

Go back and let them in!"

St. Peter goes back to the Gates, looks around, and lets out a heavy sigh.

He returns to God's chambers and says

"Well, they're gone."

The guys wearing hoodies?" asked God.

"No. The Pearly Gates."

FRENCHY

LOL .... I liked it! Ya know ..... while it doesn't necessarily have to be, usually, if it looks like a duck, if it walks like a duck, if it quacks like a duck, chances are ... it's a duck. :yeah:

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't know about you guys but I hang out too much at a pool hall and I won't feel guilty for not going elsewhere than here.....perhaps a more relaxed dress code in the day and stricter at night.

attachment.php

[...rest of images snipped...]

I wouldn't really call this place a pool hall....it looks more like a restaurant/bar/dance that happens to have professional grade pool tables.

That place looks like a Fox & Hound. I was at one of those when I was on vacation in Littleton, Colorado, with my folks a couple years ago. Fox & Hound have Diamond tables as well. The hourly rate was high (even by NY'er standards), but the service was good and so was the food.

This was my trip report there: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=214819

-Sean

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Paul I'll say this much from the last time I was there. I came in with my wife, father and sister-in-law to play. While we knew you had a dress code I did not know it carried to sweat pants at the time I came in. Mind you I hadn't been in Erie for many years having be Active Duty USAF since 2001. Anyway I had fallen and landed on my knee wrong while on vacation leading to some decent swelling so jeans were out of the question for me at the time. Not sure if it was you or one of your employees who came over, but long story short we were denied entrance.

Yes your dress code and code of conduct are important to your business. Yes I see reading a bit of the history why you started it. No I don't see how a person wearing sweat pants is a danger to your business or clientele. Your successful with what you've established as yours is the only place in the county. It's easier when there is no real competition to worry about.

We all have our opinions as to how we'd do it, and yes yes we see the number of years you keep quoting what something like 34 and counting. It works and if my wife and I are going to be able to play we will have to abide. I'll just have to be sure my wore out old knees are about to fit comfortably into a pair of approved pants if I want to play. If not you won't get some of my money that day.

I just hope your employees don't get over the top with your customers, thanks to youtube one bad night and Gold Crown will go viral.

I accept your premise as an active duty soldier. Thank you for your service on behalf of myself, Paul Schofield and millions of others. Welcome to AZ Billiards Forums.

Now, how does that equal defaming a business whose practices have allowed it to survive and prosper thirty four years? Your last sentence says it all to me. You or someone with you recorded your conversation with an employee and uploaded it to youtube. Yes sir, that's the new American Way! Sure is worth fighting and dying for! Just so sad.

Lyn

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
I'm going to show up with no clothes on and a potato stuck on the end of my penis.

I will then be a Dick Tater just like Paul.

Can't violate a dress code if you're not wearing anything.

gsm1sw

Banger by birth
Gold Member
Silver Member
such a shame that a veteran was treated this way.

Why do you think that? I am a veteran and I would never think that it would elevate me to a status that I was above the rules. I, personally, do not go anywhere wearing sweatpants, I think it's tacky. There are plenty of slacks that fit comfortably over a swelled up knee. Jeans are not the only other choice after sweats.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Thank you for your service.

Paul I'll say this much from the last time I was there. I came in with my wife, father and sister-in-law to play. While we knew you had a dress code I did not know it carried to sweat pants at the time I came in. Mind you I hadn't been in Erie for many years having be Active Duty USAF since 2001. Anyway I had fallen and landed on my knee wrong while on vacation leading to some decent swelling so jeans were out of the question for me at the time. Not sure if it was you or one of your employees who came over, but long story short we were denied entrance.

Yes your dress code and code of conduct are important to your business. Yes I see reading a bit of the history why you started it. No I don't see how a person wearing sweat pants is a danger to your business or clientele. Your successful with what you've established as yours is the only place in the county. It's easier when there is no real competition to worry about.

We all have our opinions as to how we'd do it, and yes yes we see the number of years you keep quoting what something like 34 and counting. It works and if my wife and I are going to be able to play we will have to abide. I'll just have to be sure my wore out old knees are about to fit comfortably into a pair of approved pants if I want to play. If not you won't get some of my money that day.

I just hope your employees don't get over the top with your customers, thanks to youtube one bad night and Gold Crown will go viral.

There's a part of me that wished that you hadn't emphasized the fact that you were a veteran. I can understand people's differences of opinions and not let that make me feel differently toward them. I cut veterans a lot of slack especially combat veterans, although I don't know if you were one of those or not.

Your post was a poor, first post for a veteran or anyone else for that matter. I never knew a pair of trousers could hurt someone's knees. :rolleyes:

Hopefully, you can turn your posting style around and we can see another side of a potentially good poster.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
I'm going to show up with no clothes on and a potato stuck on the end of my penis.

I will then be a Dick Tater just like Paul.

Can't violate a dress code if you're not wearing anything.

Terry, put THAT up on youtube, posing on the Harley and it's guaranteed to go viral. :killingme:

mmwtdh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why do you think that? I am a veteran and I would never think that it would elevate me to a status that I was above the rules. I, personally, do not go anywhere wearing sweatpants, I think it's tacky. There are plenty of slacks that fit comfortably over a swelled up knee. Jeans are not the only other choice after sweats.

Clap, clap, clap, clap, clap.

Thank you Sir.

You have my ultimate respect for your service and my appreciation for your humble use of said respect.....

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
such a shame that a veteran was treated this way.

When I see an active duty military person at one of the pool rooms I visit, my first reaction is to pay for their play. As the OP mentioned he had sweat pants on, he was obviously out of uniform. In my view, it makes him just another customer. If he showed his Air Force ID and was disrespected, I might have a different opinion. Can only go by what he posted.

Lyn

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
I know there is no gambling at Gold Crown Billiards but I will bet a fair amount that this person is not a Veteran. I will also bet that this is SC5. I may be wrong but that's the chance you take when you gamble. Hopefully no offense if I am wrong. Just have a gut feel.

FlcnAPG

Registered
Your last sentence says it all to me. You or someone with you recorded your conversation with an employee and uploaded it to youtube. Yes sir, that's the new American Way! Sure is worth fighting and dying for! Just so sad.

Lyn

No Lyn I said be careful of people doing that, also I never use my status as a veteran to get special treatment. I won't do it here or anywhere else. Frankly I only mention it to show how long I had been away and my lack of awareness to any changes in Paul's rules.

My point is while I do not see the problem with a clean pair of sweat pants obviously he does. I like many other am express my displeasure here and pointing out some of the other facts that are only known to people around here. As far as I am aware there maybe only 1 thats right only 1 other place to play and its not the place I'd take my wife too.

I am of the firm belief that a place that is a middle ground could exist here in Erie, but it would take resources and time I do not have. With that being said I will go there follow the rules and have a general good time.

FlcnAPG

Registered

Glad you have the money for more of a wardrobe choice, I've been blue collar all the way. Jeans and T-Shirts or sweats, and what you may find tacky others find comfortable. You also missed my point in letting the group know my veteran status, it was a time indicator not something I mention there or am trying to use to put me above the rules. It would seem the people of the billiard world have a problem with reading into things.

FlcnAPG

Registered
There's a part of me that wished that you hadn't emphasized the fact that you were a veteran. I can understand people's differences of opinions and not let that make me feel differently toward them. I cut veterans a lot of slack especially combat veterans, although I don't know if you were one of those or not.

Your post was a poor, first post for a veteran or anyone else for that matter. I never knew a pair of trousers could hurt someone's knees. :rolleyes:

Hopefully, you can turn your posting style around and we can see another side of a potentially good poster.

Hurt the knee no, be tight and uncomfortable yes. I can see why so many of you feel that I mentioned my status in an effort to gain an advantage, but again once again it was a time indicator. I'd love to learn and discuss things more with the members of this group, but honestly if your all going to try and read into everything and assume it means something else every time it may not be worth it.

I never attacked Paul or Gold Crown but relayed my own experience and feelings on his rules. Many others have gotten on here and come up with some outlandish comments to boot, sure they were meant to be humorous but no one attacked them taking too much out of what was typed.

So let me say it once more did not mention my vet status at the door, and only did so here as a way of displaying just how long since I had been home. Only had a limited amount of choices to wear under the circumstances so I took a chance, was turned away left without causing a scene and decided to wait while my knee got back to normal. No video or audio was taken not my style. Also I have only expressed just how easy it is for Paul to keep his dress code without a lot of fuss being the only game in town, not an attack just a statement of fact.

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
Still at a loss here ...

The place has a dress code. You didn't adhere to it. What did you think was going to happen?

FlcnAPG

Registered
Still at a loss here ...

The place has a dress code. You didn't adhere to it. What did you think was going to happen?

Last time I was there sweats were not on the list or maybe they just weren't paying attention that day. Again just sharing my experience with the staff there. Had I been aware of that line I would have not gone in to begin with.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Still at a loss here ...

Keep it up, gang. The guy was respectful in his post, and I thought it was pretty clearly written. Yet everyone is jumping on him for stating his opinion, and his experience. He wasn't disparaging Paul like many others here have done, yet the group feels the need to jump on him?

Quite a family we have here....

Ghosst, by my reading, I don't think he knew about the dress code before going, and was merely relaying his experience. Perhaps I'm wrong about that.

FlcnAPG

Registered
Keep it up, gang. The guy was respectful in his post, and I thought it was pretty clearly written. Yet everyone is jumping on him for stating his opinion, and his experience. He wasn't disparaging Paul like many others here have done, yet the group feels the need to jump on him?

Quite a family we have here....

Ghosst, by my reading, I don't think he knew about the dress code before going, and was merely relaying his experience. Perhaps I'm wrong about that.

Justadub thanks for the aide, I knew of the dress code but the last thing I remembered of it was no backwards hats and shirts tucked in. I'm not certain that my last experience there before enlisting they enforced the rest of it so well. Maybe Paul started to see it and had to let people go to hire more observant people.

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
Last time I was there sweats were not on the list or maybe they just weren't paying attention that day. Again just sharing my experience with the staff there.

Dub/FlcnAPG: It wasn't directed at anyone in particular or I would have used a quote. It's a general question for those that have lost sleep, kicked puppies, and pulled out their hair in frustration over a successful business.

It doesn't matter what the reasoning is behind the dress code. Fullstop.

There is so much "I wanna, I wanna, I wanna" in this thread followed by, "fine I don't want it anyways, so there ... neener neener neener!" Making people dress nicely shouldn't be as hard as taking a 5 year old through a toy store without buying anything.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Justadub thanks for the aide, I knew of the dress code but the last thing I remembered of it was no backwards hats and shirts tucked in. I'm not certain that my last experience there before enlisting they enforced the rest of it so well. Maybe Paul started to see it and had to let people go to hire more observant people.

Fair enough.

You have more perspective than 99.999% of the posters here, because you actually have visited Pauls place, which by all accounts looks very nice.

Thanks for sharing it here. And please hang around, don't let this thread drive you away.