Eagle eye and sightright

NathanDetroit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From comments on various videos, both pool and snooker, I understand Shaw is being coached by Steve Feeney. Got to wondering if this has anything to do with Jason's dumping the extension.

I know he gave an interview (with KB after his PLP loss if irc) where he said he tried shooting without it and decided to keep it off. Does sightright work the same with cues over 60"?

Any opinions on whether sightright can help a guy already known as Eagle Eye.

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does sightright work the same with cues over 60"?
Yes. SightRight doesn't have anything to do with your cue length, rather it measures where your vision center is located. Then you are supposed to align your vision center with the shotline during your PSR, then step into the shot, then realign your vision center over the cue.

It sounds like Jayson's game is in tatters and he is grasping for anything that will help. It seems contradictory that a guy nicknamed Eagle Eye is trying to figure out how to shoot straighter.

Last edited:
Reactions: bbb

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Jason Shaw's game is no worse off than SVB's. I'm starting to wonder if Shane will ever win another major tournament played on 9-foot (or bigger) tables.

I mean, they both still play world-class pool. It just seems like their mistakes, when made. come at some of the worst possible times and are usually shooting errors (misses).

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes. SightRight doesn't have anything to do with your cue length, rather it measures where your vision center is located. Then you are supposed to align your vision center with the shotline during your PSR, then step into the shot, then realign your vision center over the cue.

It sounds like Jayson's game is in tatters and he is grasping for anything that will help. It seems contradictory that a guy nicknamed Eagle Eye is trying to figure out how to shoot straighter.
I wish my game was in tatters like Shaw's! The guy still plays great.

In terms of ditching the extension, perhaps just wants a change.

He has accomplished some of his most significant feats using the extension, so it's not like it hinders his game

pw98

Registered
From comments on various videos, both pool and snooker, I understand Shaw is being coached by Steve Feeney. Got to wondering if this has anything to do with Jason's dumping the extension.

I know he gave an interview (with KB after his PLP loss if irc) where he said he tried shooting without it and decided to keep it off. Does sightright work the same with cues over 60"?

I think it could affect the sightright alignment system steps a tiny bit. Mainly this would be because you stand with the cue across your chest and then put your back hand online with your vision center then rotate you wrist to bring the cue over the vision center. This manuver is probably a bit more clunky with the longer cue, although there is no reason it couldn't be done with it.

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it could affect the sightright alignment system steps a tiny bit. Mainly this would be because you stand with the cue across your chest and then put your back hand online with your vision center then rotate you wrist to bring the cue over the vision center. This manuver is probably a bit more clunky with the longer cue, although there is no reason it couldn't be done with it.
I'm a SightRight member and I don't think what you describe is in any videos I saw. I'm right handed, and in my PSR the butt of my cue is far to the right of the shotline and my vision center is directly under my left eye and aligned with the shotline. As they tell you in the videos, the sole purpose of the SightRight step in is to get the butt of the cue on the shotline. To accomplish that, I have to step forward and to my left. The only time my backhand is in line with my vision center is after I get down on the shot and I crane my neck to the right to get my left eye over the cue. I don't rotate my wrist at any time. I use a 70" cue that weighs 24.85 oz.

Last edited:

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I'm a SightRight member and I don't think what you describe is in any videos I saw. I'm right handed, and in my PSR the butt of my cue is far to the right of the shotline and my vision center is directly under my left eye and aligned with the shotline. As they tell you in the videos, the sole purpose of the SightRight step in is to get the butt of the cue on the shotline. To accomplish that, I have to step forward and to my left. The only time my backhand is in line with my vision center is after I get down on the shot and I crane my neck to the right to get my left eye over the cue. I don't rotate my wrist at any time. I use a 70" cue that weighs 24.85 oz.

How long have you been using the technique? Do you think it's helpful and worth the cost?

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A 70 inch cue!

You play with a 12 inch extension?

I've been using a 6 inch extension for the past 3 years or so and like the feel of it. I have a 2nd 6 inch extension for really long shots but the cue feels way too long and heavy to shoot with it full time

SSP

Do you have the sight line trainer? Does it connect with a computer?

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Do you have the sight line trainer? Does it connect with a computer?

It's a piece of plastic and you can make your own (mine is below). You can also use folded paper. I think the proposed value is in the training method and not the device itself.

Screenshot_20230324_102802.jpg