Earl Strickland at the Snooker World Championships?

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
It's essentially like going from 9 ball to One Pocket. Without knowledge of all the moves, someone who shoots as well as you do but knows One Pocket will torture you.

Snooker is very similar in so far as safety is much more nuanced than, get the ball behind the baulk line. Even if a top pool player can make centuries with the same frequency as a top snooker player, without the safety play and long potting you'll never get a chance to prove it.

shinobi

kanadajindayo
Silver Member
I'm sure if Earl got invited he would spend some time on a snooker table. When I was a kid in a small town in Iowa the only place to play pool was a place called Elmers and they had 3 snooker tables and a 3 cushion billiard table, nothing else. The game requires an adjustment but isn't impossible as you suggest.

History of past attempts by all past pool champions is not on your side.

Recent history of Earl playing poorly on smaller tight tables (Chinese 8-ball) is not on your side.

Recent history of Alex P's significant efforts in breaking into snooker are not on your side. His accomplishments are exaggerated here. He's not winning even against other players who are not top flight, he's not qualifying.

Recent history of Corey Deuel's efforts are even worse.

But hey, not trying to be negative :D

thewhiffer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sure if Earl got invited he would spend some time on a snooker table. When I was a kid in a small town in Iowa the only place to play pool was a place called Elmers and they had 3 snooker tables and a 3 cushion billiard table, nothing else. The game requires an adjustment but isn't impossible as you suggest.

I think if a pool player were to come as an invited player to play in the worlds then it cant just be anybody. They have to be able to play the game. They should hold a north American trial. Group all the players that want to come and play and play against each other. The 2 finalists get two wild cards. It at least shows they can play a little.

There are probably 6 lads at the club I play that could beat Alex P. More that could beat Earl. You don't want to get players invited purely because of their name. It will look bad on pool, and the snooker world already laughs at pool as a sport. Get someone that can put in a good show and someone that will have the public falling in love with them and won't make a mockery of pool. Efren would have been ideal. You cant help but like the guy when he plays with that smile of his all the time.

I never suggested the game was impossible just that Earls chances were impossible of making himself look good at the game. Around the country every club has a snooker player capable of competing against Earl now. With 3 weeks practice do you really think he could go from a decent amateur level to competing against the best the world has to offer? I've played snooker since the age of 6 and I can appreciate how bloody hard it is. Sure Earl can pot balls for fun, but does he have a snooker brain? The snooker brain and the pool brain couldn't be further apart. The tactical side of the game is what takes the longest to learn. And based on that, Earl doesn't stand a chance playing against guys who have been playing it their entire lives.

I agree with Alsti it is not a rocket science it is a cue sport. When I was young the only tables in the pool hall were snooker tables. No one told us how hard snooker was, how big the tables were or how tight the pockets were so we just enjoyed playing.

However, I would not take away from the valid points made by Pidge. Snooker provides a different set of challenges from Pool. I do think that some of Pidge’s comments are based in opinion and hyperbole that many would not share.

Pidge, it must be a real competitive snooker club that you play out of if there are 6 guys in the club that could beat Alex P. at snooker (are you included in the 6?). I had occasion to watch Alex P. play snooker when he won the Canadian Snooker Championship a couple of years ago and he was not too shabby, beating past champions and full time snooker players in the process. He came close to making it through Q school last year. I talked with him several weeks before he was leaving to go to Q school and he had not started to seriously prepare for it yet.

I make a point of organizing my time so that I can watch the World Snooker Championships each year as I enjoy it as a spectator sport. Clearly to play at that level takes a safety touch that I can only dream off. Although as a spectator, with the help of good commentary, I can appreciate the strategy I also know that it is not something someone can put in practice without a lot of game experience.

That said, I’m not Earl, he would be a quicker study and approach it quite seriously. Would he acquit himself well? You say that’s impossible, I might say improbable but I think (hope) he might surprise. As for, how did you put it, the snooker world already laughing at pool; in your snooker world I am sure that is correct and if it comes to pass that Earl is asked to play I am sure that you and maybe your 6 talented lads will wax on ad nauseam at how outrageous it is for a mere pool player to think they could play snooker.

Real cue sport aficionados do not, however, differentiate between the two disciplines and the different games involved in each; they have respect for the talent that it takes in all cue sports and, more so, appreciate the opportunity to watch talent that is brave enough to step outside their comfort zone for our viewing pleasure.

thewhiffer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's essentially like going from 9 ball to One Pocket. Without knowledge of all the moves, someone who shoots as well as you do but knows One Pocket will torture you.

Snooker is very similar in so far as safety is much more nuanced than, get the ball behind the baulk line. Even if a top pool player can make centuries with the same frequency as a top snooker player, without the safety play and long potting you'll never get a chance to prove it.

Well put, the nuance makes it a great spectator sport (for me anyway). Whenever I get the chance to see the best at one discipline play the best at another discipline I find it very interesting to watch as it gives me the chance to really appreciate the nuance of the game and the skill that it takes to execute it well.

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with Alsti it is not a rocket science it is a cue sport. When I was young the only tables in the pool hall were snooker tables. No one told us how hard snooker was, how big the tables were or how tight the pockets were so we just enjoyed playing.

However, I would not take away from the valid points made by Pidge. Snooker provides a different set of challenges from Pool. I do think that some of Pidge’s comments are based in opinion and hyperbole that many would not share.

Pidge, it must be a real competitive snooker club that you play out of if there are 6 guys in the club that could beat Alex P. at snooker (are you included in the 6?). I had occasion to watch Alex P. play snooker when he won the Canadian Snooker Championship a couple of years ago and he was not too shabby, beating past champions and full time snooker players in the process. He came close to making it through Q school last year. I talked with him several weeks before he was leaving to go to Q school and he had not started to seriously prepare for it yet.

I make a point of organizing my time so that I can watch the World Snooker Championships each year as I enjoy it as a spectator sport. Clearly to play at that level takes a safety touch that I can only dream off. Although as a spectator, with the help of good commentary, I can appreciate the strategy I also know that it is not something someone can put in practice without a lot of game experience.

That said, I’m not Earl, he would be a quicker study and approach it quite seriously. Would he acquit himself well? You say that’s impossible, I might say improbable but I think (hope) he might surprise. As for, how did you put it, the snooker world already laughing at pool; in your snooker world I am sure that is correct and if it comes to pass that Earl is asked to play I am sure that you and maybe your 6 talented lads will wax on ad nauseam at how outrageous it is for a mere pool player to think they could play snooker.

Real cue sport aficionados do not, however, differentiate between the two disciplines and the different games involved in each; they have respect for the talent that it takes in all cue sports and, more so, appreciate the opportunity to watch talent that is brave enough to step outside their comfort zone for our viewing pleasure.
We had all this talk before the Chinese 8 ball when Earl played. Oh you might be surprised Pidge they said. Look how that turned out. He played awful.

My club is quite competitive. Several have played on the tour and some others are just their sparring partners all of which knock in centuries and frame winning breaks for fun.

Again, he has no chance.

Floyd_M

"Have Cue, Will Travel"
Silver Member
FIRST, don't get me wrong, I like Earl.
He's that non-cookie-cutter type of person and player, tho he does go overboard now & then.
ANYWAYS:
Earl going Snooker.... WOW I never thought he'd ever have that kind of patience.

Maybe we could post an EARL Time Card?
Post your TIME when...
Earl shows up to play.
Opponent tells Earl to shut up.
The first BOO by the crowd.
Earl gets his first no-talking warning.
Earl's first Unsportsmanlike conduct warning.
Earl gets booted from the table.
Earl gets booted from the event.
Earl gets booted from the building.

Earl, if you read this.... it's all in friendly jest. :grin-devilish:
"If no one talked about you, you're a has-been."

Last edited:

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Earl is only there to find him a snooker cue maker with a lathe long enough to fit his cue in to have it extended and rewrapped.
He'll show those snooker players!

Rob.M

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
History of past attempts by all past pool champions is not on your side.

Recent history of Earl playing poorly on smaller tight tables (Chinese 8-ball) is not on your side.

Recent history of Alex P's significant efforts in breaking into snooker are not on your side. His accomplishments are exaggerated here. He's not winning even against other players who are not top flight, he's not qualifying.

Recent history of Corey Deuel's efforts are even worse.

It depends on how much they commit to snooker. With Alex and Corey I wouldn't be surprised if they were playing English 8 ball or whatever game they could get action most of the time instead of spending several hours a day on a snooker table.

I have a question. I've watched snooker matches and some of the people in the audience have some sort of a ribbon on their ear. What is that for? Is it an audio device of some sort?

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
Well put, the nuance makes it a great spectator sport (for me anyway). Whenever I get the chance to see the best at one discipline play the best at another discipline I find it very interesting to watch as it gives me the chance to really appreciate the nuance of the game and the skill that it takes to execute it well.

Absolutely, guys like Mark Selby, Neil Robertson and John Higgins are brilliant tacticians. It's great to watch and learn from.

I didn't actually start to appreciate safety play in snooker until I had an opportunity to play someone who specialized in it. Until then I simply just tried to escape the inning and hope for an opportunity later. Suffice to say, it was a humbling experience. He would just trap me shot after shot, it was like a noose around your neck slowly getting tighter. Eventually you have no choice but to take on a long red that has no chance of position, and you are only 30% favorite to make...if that.

Last edited:

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
We had all this talk before the Chinese 8 ball when Earl played. Oh you might be surprised Pidge they said. Look how that turned out. He played awful.

My club is quite competitive. Several have played on the tour and some others are just their sparring partners all of which knock in centuries and frame winning breaks for fun.

Again, he has no chance.

When I was considering coming to the UK to teach, I looked into the various clubs around the country and was blown away by the standard at some of these places. Especially if you have the pleasure of playing in places like the Gloucester Snooker Academy.

There is a lot of formal coaching and junior programs in the UK, so plenty of players being groomed to become professionals. Not all of these guys make it, but what you are left with is a healthy group of players that play excellent snooker just under the pros. Definitely strong enough to beat anyone with little experience in the game looking to give it a try.

I do feel it's possible for a top pool player to make the transition, but it would require a full commitment.

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It depends on how much they commit to snooker. With Alex and Corey I wouldn't be surprised if they were playing English 8 ball or whatever game they could get action most of the time instead of spending several hours a day on a snooker table.

I have a question. I've watched snooker matches and some of the people in the audience have some sort of a ribbon on their ear. What is that for? Is it an audio device of some sort?
They are ear pieces. The connect to the BBC commentators in the booth. So you get the commentary that you would on TV here in the UK. I think they were like £6/7 last year so the venue must make a killing off of them.

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Recent history of Hendry playing even worse on the same equipment.

But hey, not trying to be negative :cool:

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do feel it's possible for a top pool player to make the transition, but it would require a full commitment.

Agree, but...

Earl isn't a top pool player (from a global standpoint). So no matter how committed he is, no matter how much he wants it, no matter how much heart he has.

He has no shot.

Bbutler

topshots.ca
Silver Member
Are you sure that was sober thought? Looked like stoned out of your friggin' mind talk! :)

I can imagine the headlines on the back page of The Times now if Earl decided to have a hissy fit in the crucible.

Please, there's no way on earth he makes it to the Crucible stage.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
Agree, but...

Earl isn't a top pool player (from a global standpoint). So no matter how committed he is, no matter how much he wants it, no matter how much heart he has.

He has no shot.

I was thinking more like a John Morra or SVB. I have to think Earl knows he would be going over for cross promotional purposes and not to take a legitimate run at the title.

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is a reason all snooker players follow the same fundamental guidelines and all have pretty similar looking strokes. It massively helps on them long shots. Something that pool even on a 10 footer don't have to the same extent. With the top guys you have no option but to start your break off from behind baulk 90% of the time. When you are 6 inches off the ball line and you have a red down below the pink a jabby hurky jurky stroke isn't going to hold up over the long run with a strange cue, strange cloth that's heated, strange balls...its hard enough as it is. The pockets...lets not forget the pockets. The sweet spot of a snooker pocket is different to the sweet spot of a pool pocket. No hitting a rail half a diamond up and still making the ball. The nap of the cloth...can they judge how much or which way the balls will roll off line because of the nap? That takes quite a while to get used to. Playing with side over the length of the table...without a cue you've played with for years you wont be able to perform on long shots. Most long shots require to go back up to the baulk colours in case you miss as not not leave an easy opening and as such, need to be played with side spin to avoid other reds. Bridge play, I know pool players use it every now and again but it comes up a hell of a lot. I've seen Ronnie knock in centuries with just the rest. He is a mediocre rest player on the world stage. That's how good you have to be with the rest at the worlds. Going into the pack...its an art, not just a smash em and hope for a shot. The top guys not only have the accuracy to hit exactly where they want in the pack but judge it perfectly usually ball for ball and have a ridiculous talent for going into the pack slow but not getting stuck in the middle of the balls either. The math behind the scoring...many players will look at the score board and instantly know how many reds they need to pot to leave the opponent needing snookers. Sounds easy but its a must have skill at the highest level. The slow players...lots of them and they would drive Earl crazy. Safety battles...it isn't just getting white glued to the baulk cushion. Its about finding the right line into baulk often so your opponent can't get back into baulk, or get into the sweet spot in baulk and will end up leaving you a long shot to nothing. Safety in snooker is like chess. You have to know what your opponent is going to do before they do.

Just a few reasons Earl doesn't stand a chance. Not this year, not next, not ever. He doesn't have the funds to take 5 years from pool and focus solely on snooker because the money when starting in snooker is crappy. Its only until you reach the top 16 and are able to compete in every event that it becomes worthwhile.

That said, if he makes it I'm putting £5 on him at the bookies to win. Might be able to retire if that bet comes in.

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hendry rarely plays the game.

Hendry is old.

Hendry's played the game plenty compared to Earl.

Hendry's almost 8 years younger than Earl (although 46 probably seems old to you).

No matter, I guess neither one of them would fare well on the snooker tour.

shinobi

kanadajindayo
Silver Member
Recent history of Hendry playing even worse on the same equipment.

But hey, not trying to be negative :cool:

I imagine you are trying to suggest that since Hendry also didn't fare well on that equipment, that it doesn't reflect poorly on Earl's performance either. But, it doesn't help to boost the argument that Earl can transition. It only adds to the pile of people who played poorly when transitioning.

shinobi

kanadajindayo
Silver Member
There is a lot to be said for starting something difficult when you are young, versus trying to excel at it with a later start in life.

To be honest, I'm a little surprised that there has never been a professional pool player who succeeded at breaking into pro snooker because the attraction of the big bucks has always been there. Until it happens at least one time, I'm going to lean towards the expectations of a negative outcome, given the consistent historical results.