Earl Strickland at the Snooker World Championships?

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sounds like Matchroom likes Earl, and so do the Brits.
;)

I think the love seeing him lose and explode for the fans so they can boo him LOL It's like 80s wrestling where they put in a "bad" guy you can root against.

He does make for good TV.

About him doing well at all, Mike Dechaine was recently playing some snooker on a 12' table we have at The Billiards Cafe in MA, and he was getting frustrated playing against someone who would likely be a "C" level snooker player.
I doubt Earl's snooker game is any better than Mike's

Last edited:

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
True, it is more daunting, but a snooker table is only about 20.5 inches longer and 10 inches wider than the 10 footer Earl likes. Maybe a cerebral game like snooker would make him actually focus.

Agreed that his chances are not great but it would be fun to watch and that, folks, would be ENTERTAINMENT.
Add that 20.5 and 10 inches in with much smaller pockets than he is used to, playing with a cue he wont be familiar with, playing with different sized and weighted balls, playing a game he has no clue about both attacking and safety and his chances of winning a single match are zilch.

Don't get me wrong, I would rather watch a pool match with him involved rather than any other guy purely for entertainment purposes and it kind of helps that he plays great pool still but I couldn't watch him play snooker. The entertainment won't be there because he will no doubt be on his best behaviour and the great play won't be there either. I would like to see him play some snooker, just not on the BBC in the biggest event of the year. I wish him the best of luck and I hope he has the time of his life if he is invited to play.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
True, it is more daunting, but a snooker table is only about 20.5 inches longer and 10 inches wider than the 10 footer Earl likes. Maybe a cerebral game like snooker would make him actually focus.

Agreed that his chances are not great but it would be fun to watch and that, folks, would be ENTERTAINMENT.

Playing surfaces:

• Typical 10' pool table = 56" x 112"

• Standard 6' x 12' snooker table = 70" x 140.5"

Difference -- 14" in width and 28.5" in length

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Playing surfaces:

• Typical 10' pool table = 56" x 112"

• Standard 6' x 12' snooker table = 70" x 140.5"

Difference -- 14" in width and 28.5" in length

And just to give a little different perspective on that, the playing surface on a standard 6' x 12' snooker table is 57% larger in area than the playing surface on a typical 10' pool table and 97% larger than the playing surface on a standard 9' pool table.

thewhiffer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Add that 20.5 and 10 inches in with much smaller pockets than he is used to, playing with a cue he wont be familiar with, playing with different sized and weighted balls, playing a game he has no clue about both attacking and safety and his chances of winning a single match are zilch.

Don't get me wrong, I would rather watch a pool match with him involved rather than any other guy purely for entertainment purposes and it kind of helps that he plays great pool still but I couldn't watch him play snooker. The entertainment won't be there because he will no doubt be on his best behaviour and the great play won't be there either. I would like to see him play some snooker, just not on the BBC in the biggest event of the year. I wish him the best of luck and I hope he has the time of his life if he is invited to play.

I cannot disagree with you, Pidge, when you are right your right. I will have to re-think it through......some sober second thought is definitely called for. Hmmm!

thewhiffer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, I think I must give this some sober second thought.

Hmmm! Earl Strickland...playing snooker.....at the Crucible....hmmm!

Hordes of screaming pool fans trying to get into the most prestigious of Snooker events. Will the world of cue sports ever be the same?

After sober second thought, I say ‘Damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead.......storm the gates of the Crucible......we will not be denied....the hell with qualifiers and other such trivial matters. Our need to be entertained trumps all.'

I say not only should Earl get a wild card but the promoter must ensure that the first match, the opening match, of this prestigious event be between Earl “the Pearl” Strickland and the “Essex Exocet, The Magician, The Rocket, the man with three nicknames (one stolen from our own Efren Reyes) Ronnie O’Sullivan. Guaranteed to start the tournament with a bang; do you hear us Barrie Hearn. Make it so!

voiceofreason

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Snooker is different not "harder" than pool (that debate has been done to death!) and is not the purpose of this thread really.

More interesting that Matchroom/Snooker are even thinking about invting pool players. It can only be to get the interest of the US market surely?

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, I think I must give this some sober second thought.

Hmmm! Earl Strickland...playing snooker.....at the Crucible....hmmm!

Hordes of screaming pool fans trying to get into the most prestigious of Snooker events. Will the world of cue sports ever be the same?

After sober second thought, I say ‘Damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead.......storm the gates of the Crucible......we will not be denied....the hell with qualifiers and other such trivial matters. Our need to be entertained trumps all.'

I say not only should Earl get a wild card but the promoter must ensure that the first match, the opening match, of this prestigious event be between Earl “the Pearl” Strickland and the “Essex Exocet, The Magician, The Rocket, the man with three nicknames (one stolen from our own Efren Reyes) Ronnie O’Sullivan. Guaranteed to start the tournament with a bang; do you hear us Barrie Hearn. Make it so!
Are you sure that was sober thought? Looked like stoned out of your friggin' mind talk! :)

I can imagine the headlines on the back page of The Times now if Earl decided to have a hissy fit in the crucible.

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
Snooker is different not "harder" than pool.

You could say that about anything. "Golf is different not harder then pool".

It is BS.

To reach the highest levels of competition in snooker or golf is most definately "harder" then doing so in pool. Partly due to the ease of the equipment and significantly higher luck factor, and partly due to the lack of financial reward in pool simply not motivating people to commit the same effort to pool as they would in snooker or golf.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
I'm not sure why they would invite Earl to play in their premier event. Early is an all time great pool player, but snooker is a completely different game. His appearance would only be a novelty. It's not at all a knock on Earl. It'd be like Adrian Peterson appearing in a Rugby World Cup game. A great player, but uniquely out of his element.

thewhiffer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you sure that was sober thought? Looked like stoned out of your friggin' mind talk! :)

I can imagine the headlines on the back page of The Times now if Earl decided to have a hissy fit in the crucible.

I do admit to sometimes disguising sarcastic fueled, hyperbolic humour as sober second thought. Some get it some do not.

voiceofreason makes a good point. This may be a way to get the North American market to look at snooker. Is there anyone that would help create interest in this idea more than Earl. Probably not.

Many pool fans not as exposed to snooker would like the participation of Earl and some snooker, and UK pool, fans might relish an opportunity to see this barbarian from the colonies get his comeuppance. Earl just may surprise them and the rest of us. I would love to see him have that chance. Count me in on the PPV (but then I take in the world championships from the Crucible every year).

PINKLADY

ICNBB
Silver Member
i think it's a cool idea - bring a little USA to EUR for snooker. and who better, than THE #1 that they love to hate & give their English arses a swift kick?

i mean, if Earl Strickland can't learn snooker, then....i guess he can't shoot pool.... :ignore: (i'm gonna get slapped for that!)

choos!

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
Yeah...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBnky4De76E

If you doubt how tough the equipment is they play on Check out earl playing 8 ball on a snooker table in the china world championships. I consider 8 ball a simple game on our equipment. Play it on a snooker table suddenly simple outs our not so simple.

ME and Sam Manoale would match up playing eight ball on a twelve foot snooker table. It was always pretty close and both of us came close to running a rack a few times but I don't remember either of us ever having any break and runs.

Jaden

Bella Don't Cry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Snooker is different not "harder" than pool (that debate has been done to death!) and is not the purpose of this thread really.

More interesting that Matchroom/Snooker are even thinking about invting pool players. It can only be to get the interest of the US market surely?

On the contrary VOR.
If true, then I reckon they are trying to sell American Pool to the Brits.
The MC is aired 'live' in the UK. No better pre-promotion as to have Mr. Strickland in the main arena at the Crucible, while the commentators make references such as:
"Here's the greatest Pool Player of ALL time. Be sure to watch him at this years MC in Vegas."
Even if Mr. Strickland does not make the USA MC 2015 team. He is still one of the strongest names in pool for the media machine to plug!
:thumbup:

Bella Don't Cry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i think it's a cool idea - bring a little USA to EUR for snooker. and who better, than THE #1 that they love to hate & give their English arses a swift kick?

i mean, if Earl Strickland can't learn snooker, then....i guess he can't shoot pool.... :ignore: (i'm gonna get slapped for that!)

choos!

Hahahaha! LMAO
Take cover - B!TCH SLAPS ahead!
:thumbup:

elizabeth9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't even talk about technical aspect, Earl first has to clear the stringent snooker etiquette first
At C8B Masters earlier this month, Earl was spooking Hendry with his non stop chit chat - I mean that is almost unheard of in snooker :D

Actually, you are totally wrong...Earl and Stephen got along so well in China that when they played they had so much respect for each other that they both played using verbal techniques to taunt each other. It was out of respect and enjoyment being able to compete with one another. You and verify this with Earl or Stephen Hendry which Hendry tweeted I love this guy as well as posted numerous pics with Earl at the event while playing and off the table.:)

Last edited:

Scaramouche

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All you pool players, save your pennies to make a pilgrimage to The Crucible Theatre in Sheffield to see Earl in action - if he is invited, and if he makes it through the Qualifiers.

Ticket prices for 17 days are more than a pool player could clear in a tournament. :D

http://www.viagogo.co.uk/Sports-Tic...-Tickets?PCID=PARTGBSportSWLRFLF9F2ABAD7D-NAV

Hendry is a snooker ambassador in China - he gets paid to put up with Earl. :D
If Earl tried it in a real match, he would be getting penalized for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Last edited:

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
too busy...

All you pool players, save your pennies to make a pilgrimage to The Crucible Theatre in Sheffield to see Earl in action - if he is invited, and if he makes it through the Qualifiers.

Ticket prices for 17 days are more than a pool player could clear in a tournament. :D

http://www.viagogo.co.uk/Sports-Tic...-Tickets?PCID=PARTGBSportSWLRFLF9F2ABAD7D-NAV

I wouldn't have to, I'd be too busy matching up with all the "D" players that think they can beat top level pool players...

Jaden

elizabeth9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

choos!

Even cooler when you have Steve Davis saying it on BBC TV in front of millions of viewers!:wink: