EARL STRICKLAND Returns to TEAM USA

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Am surprised that JJ chose Earl after their wild bust up in Bonus Ball

conan-o-brien-what-the-hell-i-is-that.gif
Earl was careful not to piss off Lee Brett, the referee. He knows where to draw the line.

Oze147

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This decision really just shows how bad USA's "pool crisis" is.
If the USA would have five or six high level players, nobody would even consider to put Earl on the team.
But if you have to decide between a handful of midiocer players, why not choose the guy who at least has the potential to cause some drama.

Wouldn't be surprised if Corey is the next pick for team USA, since it looks like the pool of players for Team USA seems to get smaller an smaller every year.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
In all seriousness, I generally support MR. But watching Earl, for me at least, has just become sad. I can see an argument that this is one way of getting some much needed money into Earl's hands. But Earl's current condition is so sad to see - it's not fun or entertaining anymore IMO.

BlueRaider

Registered
This decision really just shows how bad USA's "pool crisis" is.
If the USA would have five or six high level players, nobody would even consider to put Earl on the team.
But if you have to decide between a handful of midiocer players, why not choose the guy who at least has the potential to cause some drama.

Wouldn't be surprised if Corey is the next pick for team USA, since it looks like the pool of players for Team USA seems to get smaller an smaller every year.
It's really sad how the USA has such a dearth of top talent, and yet there are plenty of elite European and Asian players who live here full-time or part-time and play/win our tournaments. I have no problem with them competing and winning, but outside of SVB and maybe Sky, there's basically no real competition for them in the country they reside.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
It's really sad how the USA has such a dearth of top talent, and yet there are plenty of elite European and Asian players who live here full-time or part-time and play/win our tournaments. I have no problem with them competing and winning, but outside of SVB and maybe Sky, there's basically no real competition for them in the country they reside.
If you have the skill to play professionally - even be one of the greatest -, and if Earl Strickland is a glimpse into what your post-career options look like - I'd sooner do something else.

BlueRaider

Registered
I'd be willing to bet that Earl either wins a singles match, or is part of a doubles team that wins a match. Someone remind me when this event takes place if you wanna make a friendly wager.
I think it's a safe bet that he'll win at least one match. Max Eberle beat Gorst a couple years ago in the pre-Mosconi Cup event they put on vs Russia. Heck, Earl could have a great performance if he's "on" during the Cup. He still has flashes here and there. Didn't he beat Shaw 11-0 or something like that not too long ago?

That said, I don't trust him to keep it together with the crowd united against him.

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I mean.....is it really that serious? It's team 9 ball. We've been watching this for 30 years now (or thereabouts). Either one vs one, or partners. The American's who get selected to play or lead the team make a little scratch, which is good for the players. It's not life or death, nor it is for "patriotism". The American players would play for team Europe if that is what it took to make that check and play for a week.

For Matchroom it's about being entertaining, selling some views, and/or drawing a crowd (along with paid advertisers). I'm sure their pool events are more of a labor of love than anything significantly profitable at this point. One thing for sure is that Earl will definitely make it entertaining. He should have a permanent spot each year until he decides to retire. I'd watch that.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is an accident waiting to happen, and you can't look away. What's the over/under on how many meltdowns he will have?
Strictly for television ratings imo. But hey, that's what the MC is all about, getting TV ratings. $$$
Brilliant move by Matchroom!
This re-enforces what i've thought for yrs: the MC is a made-4-tv EXHIBITION. If the pool is good its just an added bonus. This move pushes it towards pure carnival sideshow.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl's entertainment value peaked a LONG time ago. This won't turn out well. If he gets bar-b-q'd in his first match it will be all downhill from there. Wouldn't be surprised if Matchroom has a shill spectator who's job will be to have a fight with the guy. WWF is right.