EARL STRICKLAND Returns to TEAM USA

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You dissin' Mexico here?? ;) Bet there's a few amigos down south that can really play.
They should just include Canada, since it is America vs. Europe.

Europe 746m vs U.S.A. 330m (add another 38m for Canada) .... hardly seems fair.

Shane, Skylar, Earl, Alex P, John Morra would be a good team

Obviously Earl could be replaced by a few other U.S. players... Oscar for instance.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone actually believe that this was a solo call by JJ?? Matchroom has been involved for some time. There used to be a point system but that was a joke so they went to 'all pick' deal. Its all about their ratings on Sky. You think they'd let JJ pick some complete unknown from bumf%&k nowhere? Of course not. This is a smart play by Matchroom. Guarantee's bigger viewing #'s.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They should just include Canada, since it is America vs. Europe.

Europe 746m vs U.S.A. 330m (add another 38m for Canada) .... hardly seems fair.

Shane, Skylar, Earl, Alex P, John Morra would be a good team

Obviously Earl could be replaced by a few other U.S. players... Oscar for instance.
I brought those numbers up in a different thread, there was no end to being told how wrong I was.

BlueRaider

Registered
I guess the conclusion to be reached here is that in Matchroom’s eyes, the Mosconi Cup is now a Harlem Globetrotters game and USA is the Washington Generals.

I can see the reasoning behind it. Getting the USA fully competitive with Europe would require a massive overhaul of American pool with the fruits of that overhaul not being evident for at least 10 years.

And honestly, I think the MC may be dead before then due to non-competitiveness. Europe gets stronger every year and America seems to get weaker. Once SVB is past his prime, it’s curtains for America. Meanwhile, there will probably be 10 more Joshua Fillers in Europe by then.

Might as well get as much money/interest from the MC while it’s still somewhat viable and relevant. It’s probably not long for this world because it’s heading towards an annual 11-2 thrashing.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
1635342095157.png

SlateMan

Registered
Bergman won't play in anything, don't know if it's covid fear or what, but everything he's been signed up for, he's a no show.

Jaden
Last video I saw him playing, he looked like he was trying to get in shape for a spot on Trainspotting III as spud's brother. He still played great, but man, he could use a cheeseburger.

kling&allen

Registered
I would have rather seen women added to both teams. I think that would both increase viewership and better represent the sport. We like to laugh at Earl and his ass weights and wrist casts, but no one is going to see a YouTube / TikTok clip of that and decide that they should start shooting pool or watch more pool.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
I guess the conclusion to be reached here is that in Matchroom’s eyes, the Mosconi Cup is now a Harlem Globetrotters game and USA is the Washington Generals.

I can see the reasoning behind it. Getting the USA fully competitive with Europe would require a massive overhaul of American pool with the fruits of that overhaul not being evident for at least 10 years.

And honestly, I think the MC may be dead before then due to non-competitiveness. Europe gets stronger every year and America seems to get weaker. Once SVB is past his prime, it’s curtains for America. Meanwhile, there will probably be 10 more Joshua Fillers in Europe by then.

Might as well get as much money/interest from the MC while it’s still somewhat viable and relevant. It’s probably not long for this world because it’s heading towards an annual 11-2 thrashing.
You guys are so friggin' nuts about the disparity in skill between America and Europe, it's kind of pathetic. The format has always lent itself to either team dominating and/or losing and/or being really close.

Have you watched the tourneys lately? Great players are beating other great players 11-2. It happens. Mosconi cup, while not really the best showcase of who's better, is the highest pressure situation in pool. All that has been the case in recent years is that Europe is better at forming a cohesive team and at dealing with the pressure.

What, a couple of years ago when USA won, was it a fluke? No, of course not. They just played better together that time. We'll see what happens this year. Earl's attitude will be a big factor in determining how well they do. I think for sure, having Earl on the team will help Shane's mental state, and with arguably the best nineball player on earth in a good mental state, that could be a big factor in USA coming together and doing well this time.

Jaden

KAP1976

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is called, “hedging your bets.”

If this year’s event turns into a runaway like last year, you at least have a chance of retaining the audience with Earl, who European audiences are still infatuated with.

our problem is we view this as a competition and measuring stick when, first and foremost, it’s a television show.

kollegedave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Matchroom does not make money off of our comments. They make money off of viewership numbers. Certainly, this pick is about pumping up UK viewership at the expense of our team and at the expense of U.S. viewers, as most of us would prefer to see the USA win. They may have lost this viewer, but I don't think they care, as they have likely gained two more in the UK who love to hate Earl.

I wasn't the biggest fan of Matchroom's interpretation of the U.S. Open, but if they are going to good things for pool, then I would be happy to tolerate some stuff that isn't my favorite. To me, this move is beyond the pale. The best case scenario for the U.S. and Matchroom is that Earl only has "mini meltdowns", and the U.S. loses a sort-of close contest. I wonder who will get the axe if the worst case scenario plays out--Earl tries to do karate on a ref or his teammates whilst on camera? I doubt Emily will fire herself? Curtains for JJ? I hope not.

To me, this is just so disappointing and discouraging. Shane Wolford is a young American making a deep run at the Intl. Open. He has won some impressive matches. Josh Roberts is making a deep run, although he was just put on the losers side. Someone who could have really benefitted from the experience of being picked for this team will lose out to a guy that was just kicked out of a tournament for fighting. Whatever their faults are as players and people, Justin, Chris, Tyler, Cory, and Oscar won't go to the U.K. and humiliate themselves and their country.

kollegedave

9ballhasbeen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have tremendous respect for Earl and all he has given and accomplished is this game, but this pick isn't about Earl (who can and might just play amazing and look like a genius pick), this is about Matchroom trying to orchestrate another train wreck - that most can't help but watch or talk about.

Matchroom is nothing more than the Don King of Pool these days, excellent promoters, but nothing more. This will be the first year in ten that I don't watch and support the Mosconi Cup. The Earl pick, mixed with the Predator Patch issues at the CLP, not inviting SVB for the World Cup because he took a stand about the Predator patch, turning a complete blind eye to Billy Thorpe's behavior and drug test, and the language used in the U.S. Open player agreement, have made clear who Emily Frazier and Matchroom are.

Those who disagree with my perspective are welcome to, this will be my only comment on this as I refuse to take further part in another dumpster fire. Turning the game into a reality TV circus, that casts the game in a worse light, isn't the pathway to getting more people to celebrate and enjoy this great game. It will not motivate outside money and sponsors to participate and grow professional pool here in the United States.

Best of luck to Team USA, I'll spend the week re-reading Playing off the Rail, and Titanic Thompson, the man who bet on everything.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member

To me, this is just so disappointing and discouraging. Shane Wolford is a young American making a deep run at the Intl. Open. He has won some impressive matches. Josh Roberts is making a deep run, although he was just put on the losers side. Someone who could have really benefitted from the experience of being picked for this team will lose out to a guy that was just kicked out of a tournament for fighting. Whatever their faults are as players and people, Justin, Chris, Tyler, Cory, and Oscar won't go to the U.K. and humiliate themselves and their country.

kollegedave

Can you actually name a tourney that Earl was thrown out of? Can you name one tourney in which Earl actually fought anyone, let alone pushed anyone ?

I only wish I could humiliate myself with 6 world championships and 5 US open wins and be considered one of, if not, the best 9 baller that ever lived. The horrors, the horrors. LMAO

Funny, how every other sport there are the guys like Dennis Rodman, John McEnroe, Jim McMahon, John Daley, basically the entire Detroit Pistons team from the 1990's, etc. etc. Not only were they still invited or signed by teams, they made MILLIONS from endorsements. Hell, I saw McEnroe in a commericial recently, must be in his mid-60s and he's still collecting off his "bad boy" behavior.

But, heavens to betsy, God forbid someone sully the name of pool and all the beautiful people that play it ;)

Yet, NBA is nothing but thugs and are a multi BILLION dollar business with the biggest idiots making $30M per year. LMAO We can't have someone "argue" with players, my gosh, the Queen might be in attendance. Not BLOODY likely. lol

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
I have tremendous respect for Earl and all he has given and accomplished is this game, but this pick isn't about Earl (who can and might just play amazing and look like a genius pick), this is about Matchroom trying to orchestrate another train wreck - that most can't help but watch or talk about.

Matchroom is nothing more than the Don King of Pool these days, excellent promoters, but nothing more. This will be the first year in ten that I don't watch and support the Mosconi Cup. The Earl pick, mixed with the Predator Patch issues at the CLP, not inviting SVB for the World Cup because he took a stand about the Predator patch, turning a complete blind eye to Billy Thorpe's behavior and drug test, and the language used in the U.S. Open player agreement, have made clear who Emily Frazier and Matchroom are.

Those who disagree with my perspective are welcome to, this will be my only comment on this as I refuse to take further part in another dumpster fire. Turning the game into a reality TV circus, that casts the game in a worse light, isn't the pathway to getting more people to celebrate and enjoy this great game. It will not motivate outside money and sponsors to participate and grow professional pool here in the United States.

Best of luck to Team USA, I'll spend the week re-reading Playing off the Rail, and Titanic Thompson, the man who bet on everything.
I disagree on one point. There is one thing and one thing only that will attract outside money and sponsors and that is viewership. It doesn't matter if it's a shitshow or there would be no sponsors for WWE...

As far as everything else, I respect what you're saying. I, too, have a big problem with how matchroom has handled those other events. We'll just have to see what happens here.

I do find it funny that so many people have said they need to bring Earl back, and then when they do, everyone complains about their motivation for doing so...lol

Jaden

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
Can you actually name a tourney that Earl was thrown out of? Can you name one tourney in which Earl actually fought anyone, let alone pushed anyone ?

I only wish I could humiliate myself with 6 world championships and 5 US open wins and be considered one of, if not, the best 9 baller that ever lived. The horrors, the horrors. LMAO

Funny, how every other sport there are the guys like Dennis Rodman, John McEnroe, Jim McMahon, John Daley, basically the entire Detroit Pistons team from the 1990's, etc. etc. Not only were they still invited or signed by teams, they made MILLIONS from endorsements. Hell, I saw McEnroe in a commericial recently, must be in his mid-60s and he's still collecting off his "bad boy" behavior.

But, heavens to betsy, God forbid someone sully the name of pool and all the beautiful people that play it ;)

Yet, NBA is nothing but thugs and are a multi BILLION dollar business with the biggest idiots making $30M per year. LMAO We can't have someone "argue" with players, my gosh, the Queen might be in attendance. Not BLOODY likely. lol
Yeah, exactly, people think to get sponsors you have to be all proper, sponsors care about ONE thing, viewership. Everything else is a secondary concern.

Jaden

JC

Coos Cues
awwwww, those poor little Brits laughing at us Americans. Meanwhile, we sit back and laugh at the once great Empire of the UK, that ruled most of the world and had influence just about everywhere, and has been reduced to a bit player on the world stage and now running a small island that is 3 times smaller than Texas. Basically, they are the lemonade stand and the US is Home Depot. Where's your Messiah noooooooooow.

So, no, we don't bloody care what those warm beer drinking SOB's think about us ;)

PS: just poking fun MC style. lol
And for god sakes do they have dental floss over there?

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Turning the game into a reality TV circus...
Very well reasoned post and much respect for your decision. The only part I disagree with is right here. I think this is exactly what pool needs to get people interested. To get the watercooler conversations happening....IF they market it right. Nobody who isn't a pool nut already is sitting around today talking about Fillers big win in the 14.1 championships.