Earl Strickland Video showing him trying to hit his opponent with his cue.

X Breaker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First Video: Earl threw his cue to the floor, and yelled at the crowd and his opponent during the WPC. You can hear him say, "Shut up," "You make me sick."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkecRYQDnAw

Second Video: Earl lifted up his cue, acted like he was going to beat his opponent up with his cue, while yelling at him at the same time. He then asked the crowd why his opponent would not shake his hand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EmcM_AzItA

Earl later apologized about his behavior.

Here is another video I found of Earl, explaining how and why he cheated against Charlie Williams, and how it upset him(Earl Strickland).

Earl reasoning goes something like this: "This is the kind of thing that makes me upset...it is for $20,000...I touched the ball with my stick, but the ref did not see it...Charlie Williams called a foul...The table cheated on me first, because of the rock under the cloth...I asked Scott if he saw a foul, he said no...I am not going to admit nothing...I got the worst lousy roll..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXAPSHF0dXo&mode=related&search=

Then here, Earl missed a shot or something, and broken his cue in front of TV, by banking it on the floor. He then picked up the broken pieces, and walked back to his chair. The crowd went totally crazy. Thomas Engert then calmly walked up to the table to shoot, you can hear someone in the crowd yelled to the top of his lung, "come on Thomas!" .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVXb7-xSLfo&mode=related&search=

Richard

Last edited:

dave sutton

Banned
ive seen earl do way worse than this. i was in a.c when that happened. i was right there that where i live.

the best one i saw was at the us open. like 2005 when he was cursing out jr calvert for writing a bed article about him in inside pool during his match. i think he was playing jeremy jones. that was the worst.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
"Earl Strickland Video showing him trying to hit his opponent with his cue."

It's obvious that Earl wasn't really trying to hit his opponent with his cue.

These videos have been shown before. No offense, but I've grown a bit weary of the Earl bashing. Like most, I find his behavior reprehensible. Unfortunately, since Earl is such a seminal figure in the world of pool and one of its greatest champions, his behavior reflects poorly not just on himself but also on the sport. I think it's rather clear that he has some serious personal issues, and I just find the whole unfortunate Earl saga more sad now than anything else.

cuetechasaurus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If anyone thinks Earl "tried" to hit his opponent with his cue, then they are an idiot. His opponent wouldn't shake his hand, and Earl made a joke out of it. He wouldn't hurt a fly. Only a Cuetec, and those cues would make anyone go crazy because Cuetecs really, really, really, suck.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cuetechasaurus said:
If anyone thinks Earl "tried" to hit his opponent with his cue, then they are an idiot. ......
Nawww just the opposition to Earls new sponser..... :D :D :D
Chuck

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Richard, why all the hard work to bash Earl? what are you trying to prove? I'm surprised this coming from a cue manufacturer. How could this help your business?

Having been around pool in the north east for the last 20 years I have seen and heard nasty things about most every top player, but I choose not to spread crap about people. We all have our bad moments, some more often than others obviously, but if we dig deep enough we can find dirt on everyone right?.....I remember hearing something about "glass houses"

Threads like this remind me of the little old ladies spreading gosip at the hair salon!:rolleyes:

Gerry

JamisonNeu

Mr. Masse
Silver Member
Earl is right alot of the time. Did Earl own the cue he broke? I really think the world of pool is losing it's spine. So what if Earl breaks his own belongings and cusses at JR Calvert, not that I don't like JR, but he is a grown man he can take a verbal bashing from another man. JR should have been allowed to punch Earl in the head and then they would have resolved this crap back then. Instead he has to let Earl run at the gums and sit there like a slave and take a verbal bashing from another man.

I wish this country would take a few steps back and men where allowed to be men again.

Sorry, to have offended all of you that I have offended I hope that by making this appology I have not offended the offender by making offense. I can't believe the world is like this, men are starting to gang up on each other like gaggles of old hen's. Really I hope you are offended I hope this makes you cry more than that I hope this makes you mad enough to hit me in the face when you see me. Then you would be a real man until then shut up and sit down stop being a sissy.

Earl deserves to flip out he has entertained you for 20+ yrs. Fair wheather fans are the worst. I am so offended by all the people being offended, can I sue someone for that? I told a joke recently about polocks, a common everyday joke that is in books movies and known by every 7 yr old kid every where. I had to listen to some guy complain about how he was hurt by my comments. I almost hit him with my cue for being such a little girl. Men hit and kick spit and cuss, if they don't they can't be trusted.

Pool is a feminist sport that is for sure.
Jamison

smokeandapancak

what?
Silver Member
JamisonNeu said:
Earl is right alot of the time. Did Earl own the cue he broke? I really think the world of pool is losing it's spine. So what if Earl breaks his own belongings and cusses at JR Calvert, not that I don't like JR, but he is a grown man he can take a verbal bashing from another man. JR should have been allowed to punch Earl in the head and then they would have resolved this crap back then. Instead he has to let Earl run at the gums and sit there like a slave and take a verbal bashing from another man.

I wish this country would take a few steps back and men where allowed to be men again.

Sorry, to have offended all of you that I have offended I hope that by making this appology I have not offended the offender by making offense. I can't believe the world is like this, men are starting to gang up on each other like gaggles of old hen's. Really I hope you are offended I hope this makes you cry more than that I hope this makes you mad enough to hit me in the face when you see me. Then you would be a real man until then shut up and sit down stop being a sissy.

Earl deserves to flip out he has entertained you for 20+ yrs. Fair wheather fans are the worst. I am so offended by all the people being offended, can I sue someone for that? I told a joke recently about polocks, a common everyday joke that is in books movies and known by every 7 yr old kid every where. I had to listen to some guy complain about how he was hurt by my comments. I almost hit him with my cue for being such a little girl. Men hit and kick spit and cuss, if they don't they can't be trusted.

Pool is a feminist sport that is for sure.
Jamison

That

WAS

BEEYOOOOTIFOOOLLL!!!!

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
dave sutton said:
ive seen earl do way worse than this. i was in a.c when that happened. i was right there that where i live.

the best one i saw was at the us open. like 2005 when he was cursing out jr calvert for writing a bed article about him in inside pool during his match. i think he was playing jeremy jones. that was the worst.

I was there at the 2005 U.S. Open and spoke to Earl and the two pool mag reps before and after Earl's match. Earl's designated table was the first table you see when you walk into the Chesapeake Conference Center.

Earl, in fact, was upset in that he felt the magazine published some untoward remarks about him. He was running late for his match and ran into one of the magazine people as he was racing to his designated table, and they exchanged some unpleasantries which upset Earl and the magazine person.

Earl then proceeds to set up for his match at his designated chair, and the magazine rep that he had words was sitting front row, about 4 feet from Earl. Earl asked the magazine person to change seats because he felt it would be a distraction to his match since the two of them had just exchanged some unpleasantries. The magazine person didn't want to move. Then the two of them exchanged some more unpleasantries, all this happening right at the commencement of Earl's match.

Does Earl the pool player have the right to ask a pool media rep to change seats because it is a distraction, or should the pool media rep have honored Earl's request to change seats because they had just had a disagreement in full view? You be the judge!

JAM

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
PoolBum said:
"Earl Strickland Video showing him trying to hit his opponent with his cue."

It's obvious that Earl wasn't really trying to hit his opponent with his cue.

These videos have been shown before. No offense, but I've grown a bit weary of the Earl bashing. Like most, I find his behavior reprehensible. Unfortunately, since Earl is such a seminal figure in the world of pool and one of its greatest champions, his behavior reflects poorly not just on himself but also on the sport. I think it's rather clear that he has some serious personal issues, and I just find the whole unfortunate Earl saga more sad now than anything else.

I have to agree with you, PoolBum. All of these video links have been shown before ad nauseum.

What I find sad is the continuous bashing of Earl. I mean, to initiate a thread today with these video links, what is the purpose? Everybody knows Earl is a controversial pool figure, but why on earth would someone go out of their way to initiate a whole thread about it today, and for what purpose or ulterior motive is there to do so?

I am enraged every single time this happens, and it is not that I condone Earl's tableside demeanor. However, this is pure and unadulterated Earl bashing for no reason. Last time I engaged in a thread about bashing Earl, one poster stated I have "shades of Earl." I will continue to like Earl Strickland, respect his pool accomplishments, and defend him on this forum.

I respect everybody's opinion about the American legendary champion, Earl Strickland. If you don't like him, then that's fine, but to initiate a thread like this is in poor taste. JMHO, FWIW!

JAM

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
This is a senseless and mean-spirited thread. X-Breaker, you lose respect in my book.

X Breaker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First of all, I did not know these videos were shown before. I was directed to these links and found them to be quite unbelivable to say the very least, so I decided to share them here. As I watched these for the first time, my jaws actually dropped when I saw how he behaved in the World Championship. I simply could not believe what I was hearing when he tried to justify cheating against Charlie Williams.

I believe as a public figure, and according to some, a representative of the sports, Earl's action is out there for everyone to judge, and history will draw its conclusion on his influence to the game.

You are all free to express your opinion about Earl, although that was not really the objective of this thread.

Is it in poor taste? I do not think so, because these videos have been posted on youtube for the world to see--but then again, you are free to express your opinion, and choose to look at it any way you want.

For the record, if you read the posts I made before, you would know that I have expressed my positive impression of Earl in various occassions. This actually makes the videos that much more shocking to watch.

I have just finished watching the World Snooker Championship, whereas the players were acting like 100% gentlemen, and then I was directed to such videos, I was speechless.

What is the point of the thread? I guess it is somewhere along the line of showing something that I do not believe would actually happen in front of my own eyes. Frankly, I found what I saw quite disturbing. May be I am over reacting, because according to some of you, you have seen worst, and you think it is not a big deal.

I wish I could look at these, and find some logical explainations to defend Earl, but I can't. In my opinion, it is sad for Earl, his opponent, the promotor, and the image of the industry.

Thank you.
Richard

Last edited:

Craig Fales

Registered bubinga user
Silver Member
JAM said:
I was there at the 2005 U.S. Open and spoke to Earl and the two pool mag reps before and after Earl's match. Earl's designated table was the first table you see when you walk into the Chesapeake Conference Center.

Earl, in fact, was upset in that he felt the magazine published some untoward remarks about him. He was running late for his match and ran into one of the magazine people as he was racing to his designated table, and they exchanged some unpleasantries which upset Earl and the magazine person.

Earl then proceeds to set up for his match at his designated chair, and the magazine rep that he had words was sitting front row, about 4 feet from Earl. Earl asked the magazine person to change seats because he felt it would be a distraction to his match since the two of them had just exchanged some unpleasantries. The magazine person didn't want to move. Then the two of them exchanged some more unpleasantries, all this happening right at the commencement of Earl's match.

Does Earl the pool player have the right to ask a pool media rep to change seats because it is a distraction, or should the pool media rep have honored Earl's request to change seats because they had just had a disagreement in full view? You be the judge!

JAM
Who was the instigator in this situation???

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
JAM said:

JAM

While I wasn't there and I don't know who this person is you are talking about........
This is the type of thing that there are two sides two. Some people will say that Earl is supposed to be a professional and should be able to handle a media person on his one yard line. Others will say just the opposite.

Personally I think if Earl ASKED the media person to move, the media person should have had enough class to move.

By staying the media person was determined to get back at Earl, punish Earl and stir up some S**T which apparently he did. The media person knew this would stir up Earl's emotions and purposefully refused to move knowing full well that it would cause Earl to go off.

The media person knew that there would be a bigger story there if he stayed there in that seat, a virtual burr under the saddle of Earl Strickland.

But I could be wrong. :rolleyes:
JoeyA

TellsItLikeItIs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't like or dislike Strickland, he's just someone I share the planet with.
But, I see no value in postings such as this.

I would think, your position as a business person that depends heavily on the industry would be better served by assuming a neutral position.

X Breaker said:
I guess it is somewhere along the line of showing something that I do not believe would actually happen in front of my own eyes.
Richard

FYI, I recently had occasion to have a first hand look at one of your cues. I could very easily apply the quote above to your mechanical design and workmanship. Kinda stings don't it!

Purpose of this post? To suggest that you clean your own house first!

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
X Breaker said:
First of all, I did not know these videos were shown before. I was directed to these links and found them to be quite unbelivable to say the very least, so I decided to share them here. As I watched these for the first time, my jaws actually dropped when I saw how he behaved in the World Championship. I simply could not believe what I was hearing when he tried to justify cheating against Charlie Williams.

I believe as a public figure...

What is even worse, Richard, is some public figures continue to do things behind the scene which have actually damaged American pool.

It is hard to believe that you, being a member of this forum for a lengthy period of time, have never seen the YouTube links of Earl Strickland previouisly, but it may be that you have not read those Earl-bashing threads, though they seem to pop up on a daily basis in recent times. There are numerous threads contributed to AzBilliards Discussion Forum every single day, and I, too, am unable to read them all.

I find the practices of what some of the American representatives did behind the scenes in the recent Mosconi Cup unbelievably sad. However, American Representative Earl Strickland came to the table every single day at the Mosconi Cup prepared, well rested, and ready to defend the American title.

Earl Strickland's accomplishments in American pool outshine any other American player I know of in my lifetime. At a time when it is well know that Earl is experiencing not only medical maladies, but personal difficulties as well, the timing of this thread seems very cruel to me. Everyone is most certainly entitled to their opinion about this American champion, and if you feel the need to feed your hatred of this American icon, just do a search on this forum for "Strickland" and read to your heart's content. The American pool culture traditionally is cruel to its own, which is why professional pool is dying a slow and ugly death.

BCA Hall of Famer Earl Strickland is one of the last great American pool players. Fifty years from now, there will be no more Earl Stricklands. In fact, professional pool will be dead in the water on American soil.

League play is where it's at in the United States. Players like Earl Strickland have not a damn thing to look forward to.

JAM

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JoeyA said:
While I wasn't there and I don't know who this person is you are talking about........
This is the type of thing that there are two sides two. Some people will say that Earl is supposed to be a professional and should be able to handle a media person on his one yard line. Others will say just the opposite.

Personally I think if Earl ASKED the media person to move, the media person should have had enough class to move.

By staying the media person was determined to get back at Earl, punish Earl and stir up some S**T which apparently he did. The media person knew this would stir up Earl's emotions and purposefully refused to move knowing full well that it would cause Earl to go off.

The media person knew that there would be a bigger story there if he stayed there in that seat, a virtual burr under the saddle of Earl Strickland.

But I could be wrong. :rolleyes:
JoeyA

I am friendly with all three persons who were involved in the back-and-forth, so to speak, one of them being Earl.

Knowing that Earl was getting ready to play a tough match, I can understand his desire to not be distracted by someone he had just had words with minutes before his match.

I also understand that the media person most likely only wanted to be able to write about this high-profile match for the magazine, and sitting close to the table is helpful.

I am hesitant to state who I think was right or wrong, but if it were Keith out there fighting for survival in the U.S. Open, I would not want him to be distracted. Of course, I see things from a pool player's point of view. It doesn't mean that I am always right. :p

JAM

X Breaker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JAM said:
What is even worse, Richard, is some public figures continue to do things behind the scene which have actually damaged American pool.

It is hard to believe that you, being a member of this forum for a lengthy period of time, have never seen the YouTube links of Earl Strickland previouisly, but it may be that you have not read those Earl-bashing threads, though they seem to pop up on a daily basis in recent times. There are numerous threads contributed to AzBilliards Discussion Forum every single day, and I, too, am unable to read them all.

I find the practices of what some of the American representatives did behind the scenes in the recent Mosconi Cup unbelievably sad. However, American Representative Earl Strickland came to the table every single day at the Mosconi Cup prepared, well rested, and ready to defend the American title.

Earl Strickland's accomplishments in American pool outshine any other American player I know of in my lifetime. At a time when it is well know that Earl is experiencing not only medical maladies, but personal difficulties as well, the timing of this thread seems very cruel to me. Everyone is most certainly entitled to their opinion about this American champion, and if you feel the need to feed your hatred of this American icon, just do a search on this forum for "Strickland" and read to your heart's content. The American pool culture traditionally is cruel to its own, which is why professional pool is dying a slow and ugly death.

BCA Hall of Famer Earl Strickland is one of the last great American pool players. Fifty years from now, there will be no more Earl Stricklands. In fact, professional pool will be dead in the water on American soil.

League play is where it's at in the United States. Players like Earl Strickland have not a damn thing to look forward to.

JAM
JAM,
I do not hate Earl at all, I do not even dislike him. As a matter of fact, I have defended him on this forum a few time based on my own positive personal experience. I just found the behavior displayed in the videos really shocking.
Anyway, thank you for your feedback. I can see that there is a misunderstanding there, but anyway...
I do not see the need to defend myself.
I hope you and Keith are doing well.
Richard

Last edited:

jimmy-leggs

A GREAT DAY
Silver Member
I am not the biggest Earl fan because of his antics BUT I think its about time we start to leave the guy alone.He is a hall of famer,world champion,one of the greatest players ever.
We all go through things in our lives that we regret and I'm sure he is going through that now.So please people, leave the guy alone and let him get his life together.Its the least we can do.

Last edited: