Earl's Fingers

Dimeball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe he's afraid to get chalk on his fingers?? Could be confusion from the old days, "when did this stuff turn blue?"...

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member
Earl is actually a sephardic jew, and you are just seeing the ancient kabbalistic finger binding prayer wrappings on his hand there. The mans very presence at the table is a prayer to God almighty. You all should be ashamed of making fun of him. May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your loins.

Lesh

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lou;

I agree entirely.

The vast majority (me included) shake our heads, even laugh a little when we see all of these bizarre gadgets along with his javelin of a cue, etc etc but there's no doubt in my mind that they all have a specific and good purpose.

He can wear a complete Planet of the Apes costume with the head on backwards and still shoot my liver out so I'm always sure never to laugh too hard.

It was difficult though, I admit, that one challenge match when Earl was playing Shane on the 10 footer and the baby was crying in the audience and so Earl returned the next day wearing airline baggage handlers' earmuffs in order to erase any edge Shane may have had with being able to turn off his hearing aids.

Again, a specific good purpose! :thumbup:

best,
brian kc

Brian, we both know Earl is perfectionist.

Anyone who has watched him warm up by placing the CB on a short rail with an OB cross table seven feet away on the rail, jack up and sink the ball at warp speed, AND THEN do it over and over until he gets the CB to behave exactly the way he wants, knows he is trying to perform at a level of precision most of us can't even imagine. I'm guessing that in his mind there is a very good reason for every inch of tape.

Lou Figueroa

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Surprised no one commented on his waist weights! Look, Earl is going to try anything he feels will help his game. Remember seeing him at a Windy City Open when he started the yellow glasses thing. My question is, has any other world class player tried any of Earl's addons other than the longer cue? See lots of forward extensions.

Lyn

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Brian, we both know Earl is perfectionist.
Anyone who has watched him warm up by placing the CB on a short rail with an OB cross table seven feet away on the rail, jack up and sink the ball at warp speed, AND THEN do it over and over until he gets the CB to behave exactly the way he wants, knows he is trying to perform at a level of precision most of us can't even imagine. I'm guessing that in his mind there is a very good reason for every inch of tape.
Lou Figueroa

I don't doubt that what you say is true, Lou, but in that photograph he looks like a homelsss guy in Winter. :grin-square:

Gorramjayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My theory is that most of Earl's gadgets are compensating for the fact he slumps his head and rolls his shoulders in. No matter how far you're reaching out with your bridge hand or how high you're getting your elbow on your back arm, never let your shoulders cock up or forwards, keep your shoulders wide and square to your body (not the table) and bend at the waist to get lower to your cue instead of dropping your head.

When you let your back arch, or your head and shoulders slump, it's hard to avoid moving your body when you fire a hard shot, hence the arm weights and now the weight belt around his waist. If your shoulders are already wide open and your chest expanded, there's nowhere for them to move when you fire a hard shot, so it's much harder to accidentally raise up on the shot or swing wild. Earl does pop up when he's not having a good day, I remember the exhibition match against Reyes at Steinway he went through a slump where he was jumping up on shots and dogging them, even with his arm weights.

So the weights are understandable. Still tons of respect to him, he practices like a madman and makes it work for him, as most 'natural' players have since the dawn of billiards. He's shooting a little bit stronger now compared to a few years ago. I mean, I know your posture goes a little once you start to get older, but that makes it more important to keep it in mind. When we was younger and stronger he could keep himself more still and even when he moved, he had the core strength to keep it consistent so he could adjust to it.

When I'm helping a new player fix their stance I have them set their feet, then stand up straight with almost military posture, chest up and out. Then I tell them to look straight up at the ceiling, and take some deep breaths to expand their ribcage, then without moving anything, bend ONLY at the hip to get down on the shot. Sure it looks ridiculous at first but really does make everything fall into place when you do this. Once they know how a good alignment feels they quickly improve their setup for the shot without going through the weird routine.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
My theory is that most of Earl's gadgets are compensating for the fact he slumps his head and rolls his shoulders in. No matter how far you're reaching out with your bridge hand or how high you're getting your elbow on your back arm, never let your shoulders cock up or forwards, keep your shoulders wide and square to your body (not the table) and bend at the waist to get lower to your cue instead of dropping your head.

When you let your back arch, or your head and shoulders slump, it's hard to avoid moving your body when you fire a hard shot, hence the arm weights and now the weight belt around his waist. If your shoulders are already wide open and your chest expanded, there's nowhere for them to move when you fire a hard shot, so it's much harder to accidentally raise up on the shot or swing wild. Earl does pop up when he's not having a good day, I remember the exhibition match against Reyes at Steinway he went through a slump where he was jumping up on shots and dogging them, even with his arm weights.

So the weights are understandable. Still tons of respect to him, he practices like a madman and makes it work for him, as most 'natural' players have since the dawn of billiards. He's shooting a little bit stronger now compared to a few years ago. I mean, I know your posture goes a little once you start to get older, but that makes it more important to keep it in mind. When we was younger and stronger he could keep himself more still and even when he moved, he had the core strength to keep it consistent so he could adjust to it.

When I'm helping a new player fix their stance I have them set their feet, then stand up straight with almost military posture, chest up and out. Then I tell them to look straight up at the ceiling, and take some deep breaths to expand their ribcage, then without moving anything, bend ONLY at the hip to get down on the shot. Sure it looks ridiculous at first but really does make everything fall into place when you do this. Once they know how a good alignment feels they quickly improve their setup for the shot without going through the weird routine.

next time you see him at an event, maybe share this with him. :yikes::smile-us-down::wave3::help::duck::crying::shocked2::shocked::canoodle::speechless::kiss:

Henry W

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl is aware when he moves on a shot he misses and he is trying physically attack the problem with all these weights. My take on moving on the shot lack of confidence in that particular shot. I also think this problem seems to get worse as you get older. Why that is I don't know

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You should be aware that there is no one correct way to stand. We are all built differently, and there are as many "correct" ways to stand as there are poolplayers. One size does not fit all. Balanced...a tripod...and clearance for your cue...those are the important variables.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Gorramjayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You should be aware that there is no one correct way to stand. We are all built differently, and there are as many "correct" ways to stand as there are poolplayers. One size does not fit all. Balanced...a tripod...and clearance for your cue...those are the important variables.

Scott Lee

Of course, and I definitely don't ask anybody to stand like me, my snooker form looks goofy at a pool table. Set your feet and turn to the table however suits your frame and feels natural, the main thing I try to get across is that however you want to stand, don't let your upper body collapse in on itself, because that's a weak foundation that leads to unwanted body/shoulder movement. Even Efren with his highly animated stroke does a good job of keeping his upper body solid and extended.

There are of course wide variations in styles but my opinion is whatever style you choose you'll be more consistent when you hold your body where your spine and posture muscles are giving a steady platform for your arm. Most people who can't hit long draws I notice have some slouch in their upper back or shoulder and end up pulling slightly with their shoulder so deliver the cue off center or higher than they meant to. People make all sorts of strange things work but for new players who want a shortcut to solid shooting, posture (independent of stance) is important. And I think when you're breaking out arm and belt weights, it's worth revisiting your posture. Like golf, there are all sorts of details of fundamentals people obsess over, but if you neglect your posture you probably won't get the most out of all those other adjustments you try, and they'll vary from day to day depending on your physical condition.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Scott Lee

I'm not so sure, Scott. I think the best way to stand is up-right. I've tried playing pool horizontally, and it never turned out well.
Sex, on the other hand, can be done either up-right or horizontally, although that never turned out well for me, either. :grin:

Last edited:

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
I'm currently at a Starbucks in Las Vegas and met Earl's long lost son. I'm going to go over there and offer him the 6.

Attachments

• IMG_1105.JPG
    IMG_1105.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 379

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually, there might be a very good reason for these finger extensions. With longer fingers, on a jump shot, you have more distance to provide more aim & more power to the stroke. I designed a great jump shot bridge, to get the extra length needed for a jump shot. Works GREAT.....

Here are some finger extensions used by Earl, to jump, in another photo

Attachments

• Strickland finger extensions.jpg
    Strickland finger extensions.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 391

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

Good stuff here! Rarely seen this in print anywhere before.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
That's Earl Stricland.
He lost his mind a few years/decades back and started relying
on stuff like that instead of hard work and his own talent.

So when a game didn't go well it was either the audience or some
of his equipment that did it.
Add another wrap next time and if he won then that became the
magic number. 9x around each finger works better than 10 or 8....

When Earl was winning everything he had none of these apparatus attached to his body! The older he gets the more gimmicks he comes up with. None of them will bring back his youth.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

Scott Lee

I totally agree Scott and I would add there are many bridges and stances that one must master in order to be a complete player. Take a look sometime at all the ways players have to stand to reach awkward shots and how they have to bridge off rails and over balls. In the words of Lou Butera, "Pool is a game of stances and bridges."

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's Earl Stricland.
He lost his mind a few years/decades back and started relying
on stuff like that instead of hard work and his own talent.

So when a game didn't go well it was either the audience or some
of his equipment that did it.
Add another wrap next time and if he won then that became the
magic number. 9x around each finger works better than 10 or 8....

I don't think he lost his mind, just his confidence. He now relies on gadgets, blames equipment....etc. He needs to walk into a tournament with a 1 piece house cue from a local bar with the idea that he doesn't need anything else for these chumps! Once he starts believing in himself again the gadgets will go away. He has the ability but he needs to believe in himself and what got him there....lose the props and kick some a$$

Pleinairrider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Intersting information. I will try this.