Ed Prewitt cue value

nineball66

Registered
Would like feedback on the market price of a cue like this. An Ed Prewitt two shafts ivory ferrules, leather wrap, mother of pearl and silver rings. Made in the mid90's. Good condition and straight as an arrow.

Attachments

• 20150914_003448.jpg
    20150914_003448.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 2,497
  • 20150914_003456.jpg
    20150914_003456.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 1,768
  • 20150914_003514.jpg
    20150914_003514.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 1,761
  • 20150914_003523.jpg
    20150914_003523.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 1,766

plshrk22

A Holes Billiards
Silver Member
Today's market (not so hot) $1000-$1200. Probably should fetch $1300-$1500 though. Just my thoughts.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I Beg To Disagree

The values previously mentioned are incredible deals for any buyer of your cue and more in line with wholesale. This cue should bring $1700 on the low end and low $2k on the upper end.......Ed Prewitt cues
are hard to find.......the wait is upwards of 4 years for a new cue .......and he's one of the best cue-makers in America........and Mr. Prewitt does not make lots of pool cues like some other cue-makers already do.

Now keep in mind your Prewitt cue could have added value after next July 1, 2016. Governor Brown is just about to sign AB-96 which means that unless Ed relocates out of California, there will be no more Prewitt
cues with ivory ferrules or ivory inlays or .ivory joints or ivory butt caps.....NONE! If I could buy the last ivory joint cue to leave Ed's shop before this new ban takes effect, and the bill is on the Governor's desk for
signature, I'd scramble to get it. Now Ed may relocate & then the cue wouldn't have any intrinsically higher value than any other Prewitt cue but I don't care. It'd still be a highly prized Ed Prewitt ivory joint pool cue.

Anyway, plshrk's estimates seem low to me and more in line with what he might want to pay for your cue but I do not believe it's reliably representative of the value of Ed Prewitt cues....check with Martin (Jazznpool)
www.superiorcues.com or Bill (www.cornerstonecues.com). I betcha both would allow you trade-in value equal to or even higher than plshrk's estimates and keep in mind they'd then still have to sell your cue. Just be
sure to avoid low-balling your cue value because only a handful of Prewitt cues are completed annually.

Matt B.

Last edited:

plshrk22

A Holes Billiards
Silver Member
I did not see that the joint was ivory and if it is I would increase my valuation.

Thecoats

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I am not sure plshrk22's estimate is incorrect. One thing that really drives up the cost of Ed's cues is his incredible paua shell ring sets that this cues does not have. While I am sure this is a great cue, like all cues Ed builds it looks like some of Ed's earlier work and more of an entry level cue. I would be surprised if you could more than 1500 for the cue.

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
It's what a buyer wants to pay.
I care about the hit, not collectiing it or flipping it.
It's a piece of wood with a couple of ivory ferrules, leather wrap, small cue.
In the pool hall a player is paying 700, if it hits good,,,, no more

The prices people are setting today are insane.

For 1500 or 2 k it better hit them in the pocket on its own, while still in the case.

Good luck with your sale, having patience and finding the right buyer that will pay is always the answer.

I collect fishing lures,have a few thousand of them, mostly saltwater, the game is the same, find the buyer.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah.....But

A very key point is not being given sufficient weight........supply and demand......there aren't a lot of Ed Prewitt cues of any variety.......sure the price is always what a buyer is willing to pay.......I think last year Ed only released only a couple of cues as I recall.

So even if it Ed Prewitt cue was simply a plain Merry Widow.....and I'm confident the cue joint would be ivory since the ferrules were......supply & demand.....if not today, then tomorrow..........a buyer always comes along for cues that are scarce in number like with Prewitt cues.......and when the cue is a fancy design Ed Prewitt like like Jive's or Cuenoisseur's, well, buyers tend to appear immediately.

And if Ed doesn't relocate his shop, then there's no more cues like this one, or mine (attached pics) unless Ed decides to relocate his cue-making to a different state which he very well do. Otherwise he will comply with the ban and stop using any ivory in his pool cues or close his shop but there's no other alternatives after July 1, 2016 if Governor Brown signs AB-96 which he said he was in favor of doing.

Rarity and scarcity, presuming of course that cue quality and finish aren't in question, are what largely decides and drives the final price of a good cue from a good cue-maker. And when it happens to be a great cue-maker, that helps a great deal with the price of a cue, at least that's been my experience over the past few decades.

Matt B.

Attachments

• Butt Sleeve & Shafts.jpg
    Butt Sleeve & Shafts.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 1,511
  • Cornerstone Cues 10-23-14.jpg
    Cornerstone Cues 10-23-14.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 1,536
  • EP Butt Sleeve.jpg
    EP Butt Sleeve.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 1,548
  • Sharp Points.jpg
    Sharp Points.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 1,608
Last edited:

nineball66

Registered
The cue joint is not ivory.
This cue was custom made for my friend by our mutual friend cuemaker Eddie Prewitt. She can't recall the exact date but mid90's is a safe guess. She adored this cue and was her primary playing cue.
Unfortunately she quit playing pool around ten yrs ago and needs to sell to pay some unforeseen bills. As for preference she requested Eddie make her a classy "feminine" style cue without being too
gaudy. So he came up with this simple design. Unique mother of pearl inlays surrounded by silver rings. He had joked to her he would never again make this pearl inlay design because it was so hard to
execute.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sean does this professionally and so I'll defer to his judgement, especially since the joint is non-ivory which is unusual based upon all the other Prewitt cues I've seen.
I would have imagined that a cue dealer would typically sell this cue for a higher amount but he's the pro so there ya go.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
What lowers the value of this cue is that it's an earlier example. If this cue was made within the last 10 years it would be valued higher... That's unfortunate because the consistent aspect to all of Ed's cues has been attention to detail regardless of when they were made...

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
No ivory joint, probably 200-250 less then.

I overall agree with your valuation Sean. What a great way for someone to get into a Prewitt cue at a lower price level that is long gone. The joint and ferrules do not look to be ivory. The fact the cue is unique would be a good selling point. Hopefully it is straight. We can see an early example of Ed's double stitch ringset here too. Hard to believe the single silver deco ring was so popular in the 90's! Best wishes to the seller and the buyer.