Efren about to be knocked off the top of the all-time money list

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1677093733202.png

Efren has been at the top of this AZB all time money list since its inception. Shane is about $500 away from taking the top spot. I believe the list was started in 2004, but not certain (the data goes back much further than 2004, just the compilation of the list). It's been a LONG run!

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder what the difference is adjusted for inflation.

pj
chgo
Ha, good one. Also two more considerations. Besides general inflation, pool prize money has grown slower than inflation (I think?), so Efren's winnings were more "spendable" at the time he won. Second, he took the dough home and gave it to all the Filipinos, so it went even further there.

CanadianGuy

I wonder how much Efren walked away with from his gambling

also a good chance a large portion of his American winnings were never taxed, the guys after Efren get federal tax docked automatically at most of the big American tourneys

penguin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Efren has been at the top of this AZB all time money list since its inception. Shane is about $500 away from taking the top spot. I believe the list was started in 2004, but not certain (the data goes back much further than 2004, just the compilation of the list). It's been a LONG run!
What about adjusting for inflation? Who would be on the all-time money list then?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
On the surface, not much money made in an eighteen-year career, especially since this is gross income and not net income after expenses. However, he's probably made at least as much from his cue deals and other sponsorships over the years, lessons given, gambling earnings, and appearance money for exhibitions.

My wild guess (and yes, it's pure speculation) is that his gross income from pool is more like $5,000,000, which comes to about $280,000 per year.

Props to Shane, a player that has shown sustained excellence over a long career. Well done!

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
if you do a google search the top 10 players above have NET worth of several million dollars
among the next 5 seems not all info is available as net worth is estimated 1-5 million

CanadianGuy

fair to say Efren did quite well for himself,

the PI is a VERY nice place to live with Efren's money, cost of living and what not, the money stretches even further outside Manilla

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ha, good one. Also two more considerations. Besides general inflation, pool prize money has grown slower than inflation (I think?), so Efren's winnings were more "spendable" at the time he won. Second, he took the dough home and gave it to all the Filipinos, so it went even further there.

Prizes in pool have gotten smaller for a long time, going up a bit just in the past few years, so basically even more so than the effects of inflation there. World Championship got to like 100,000 first place for a couple of years.

BlueRaider

Registered
Prizes in pool have gotten smaller for a long time, going up a bit just in the past few years, so basically even more so than the effects of inflation there. World Championship got to like 100,000 first place for a couple of years.
It's interesting to imagine a world where Trudeau wasn't a crook and the IPT became a mainstay in pool. Imagine multiple events annually paying out hundreds of thousands of dollars for first place.

Assuming it was still ongoing from 2005, would pro pool have twice as many good players now? I wonder what type of money would move the needle in terms of participation and pro aspirations from the masses.

Stevexjfe

They call it "All Time Money List" but this is grossly incorrect, the results of tournaments have only been fairly consistent since the early 2000s, prior to 1999 the ONLY tournament that was recorded for money earnings was the U.S Open 9-Ball, so there are thousands of tournaments that haven't been recorded, in the 60s, 70s, 80s & 90s. So it should be called the "Current/Modern Money List" or something like that, because people will think that it's all time and that's just not true.
If the Money list was recorded prior to the 2000s Efren would be ahead by a mile..... 😅

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So 30± years of playing pool at the top is less than what I made in my last 3 years of working..........