Elbow Drop?

Grandslam

Registered
If you have pendulum swing and you drop your elbow during the swing will the tip hit above or below where you are aiming on the cue ball? What causes scooping the cue ball? Thanks.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
If you have pendulum swing and you drop your elbow during the swing will the tip hit above or below where you are aiming on the cue ball? What causes scooping the cue ball? Thanks.
First, if you drop your elbow during the swing you don't have a pendulum swing. But to answer your question, the tip and the butt are at opposite ends of a teeter totter pivoting on your bridge - so when the butt drops with the elbow the tip has to rise.

Scooping is miscuing so low that the tip rebounds off the cloth to launch the ball. I think it's often caused by careless setup with the tip a bit too far from the CB, so the natural upward follow through of the pendulum stroke, and the natural downward path of the tip, starts before it reaches the CB.

pj
chgo

hitman22

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First, if you drop your elbow during the swing you don't have a pendulum swing. But to answer your question, the tip and the butt are at opposite ends of a teeter totter pivoting on your bridge - so when the butt drops with the elbow the tip has to rise.

Scooping is miscuing so low that the tip rebounds off the cloth to launch the ball. I think it's often caused by careless setup with the tip a bit too far from the CB, so the natural upward follow through of the pendulum stroke, and the natural downward path of the tip, starts before it reaches the CB.

pj
chgo
Oh my God..Not that .....

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

pj
chgo
my first thoughts

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you drop your elbow, the tip will go up. If you tighten your grip during the stroke, the tip will go down.

Regards,
Dave

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

pj
chgo

Anybody scooping the ball up into the air like that is a banger.

hitman22

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Search : "MIKE DAVIS". Master pump-jack, elbow dropper. You can see his tip come up slightly as it goes thru the cueball. Guy can flat play. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZHg_V41plc&t=328s

The guy shoots great...Every one is different.People here seem to think you have to be a carbon copy of what and who constitutes a great stroke.If Bruce Lee thought like that martial arts would have never evolved .You gots to be like water little boys and girls..

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The guy shoots great...Every one is different.People here seem to think you have to be a carbon copy of what and who constitutes a great stroke.If Bruce Lee thought like that martial arts would have never evolved .You gots to be like water little boys and girls..
Yep. Everyone said Ben Hogan's grip was just "too weak to be effective". Well, Ben's record kinda speaks for itself. A lot of the best pool players i've watched have had anything but that mythical "ideal" stroke.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
So what's the supposed lesson from these anecdotes? That the best advice we can give to developing players is "Even some great players have wonky strokes, so we don't know what to suggest - do whatever you want, and good luck with that"?

pj
chgo

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So what's the supposed lesson from these anecdotes? That the best advice we can give to developing players is "Even some great players have wonky strokes, so we don't know what to suggest - do whatever you want, and good luck with that"?

pj
chgo
Not at all. Its just that no instruction is written in stone. Trying to follow some "ideal method" often leads to a very wooden, robotic looking style of play. Not just in pool but anything. Ever watch that Australian guy bowl with both hands? Would ANYBODY ever teach him that much less attempt to make him go "conventional"?

Last edited:

hitman22

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

pj
chgo

Nothing wrong with helping an aspiring talent along the way, long as the help isn't from an ego maniac thinking he is a teaching God of the pool universe ....

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Nothing wrong with helping an aspiring talent along the way, long as the help isn't from an ego maniac thinking he is a teaching God of the pool universe ....
I'll leave it to you to worry about what he thinks of himself - as long as his advice is good, I'm good with it.

I think "Mosconi did it this way" is an entertaining story but leaves a lot to be desired as advice.

pj
chgo

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll leave it to you to worry about what he thinks of himself - as long as his advice is good, I'm good with it.

I think "Mosconi did it this way" is an entertaining story but leaves a lot to be desired as advice.

pj
chgo

What is missing from the anecdotes is that all of those players with wonky swings or strokes like Trevino, some bowler, etc. did nothing but play their sport for their entire lives. They had the time to perfect whatever method they used and made it work somehow. But even Michael Jordan said that the difference between the good players and the great ones is fundamentals, and that's among pro level players. How many Trevino's are out there who couldn't make it because they couldn't groove a bad swing?

Mere mortals who play pool as a serious hobby need all the help they can get. Using good fundamentals is important. The problem is nobody in pool can seem to agree on exactly what those fundamentals are so we say "whatever works for you." I think reality is somewhere in the middle. Players can have their own individual style but there must be certain fundamentals that every good player follows.

Seems like snooker players are in agreement on the fundamentals for the most part from what I can tell.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
What is missing from the anecdotes is that all of those players with wonky swings or strokes like Trevino, some bowler, etc. did nothing but play their sport for their entire lives. They had the time to perfect whatever method they used and made it work somehow. But even Michael Jordan said that the difference between the good players and the great ones is fundamentals, and that's among pro level players. How many Trevino's are out there who couldn't make it because they couldn't groove a bad swing?

Mere mortals who play pool as a serious hobby need all the help they can get. Using good fundamentals is important. The problem is nobody in pool can seem to agree on exactly what those fundamentals are so we say "whatever works for you." I think reality is somewhere in the middle. Players can have their own individual style but there must be certain fundamentals that every good player follows.

Seems like snooker players are in agreement on the fundamentals for the most part from what I can tell.
Excellent post. FYI, I just added a quote of your post to the improving your game resource page. Please let me know if you want it changed in any way.

Regards,
Dave

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Trying to follow some "ideal method" often leads to a very wooden, robotic looking style of play.
I think I'll improve faster (and learn more) trying to be "robotic" than I would trying to copy some pro's loopy stroke because he's a pro - or just winging it and hoping to stumble onto the right one for me.

pj
chgo