Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JE54 said:
Any body use them?
Opinions?
Are they a laminated tip?
Thanks

They are not laminated, to my knowledge. I haven't used them myself in many years, so I really don't know much more than that they were quite popular years ago.
I think they were mostly soft but I'm not really sure. Sorry.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
soft, cheap, single layer

They are a soft cheap single layer tip. Some people play with them as they are, some press them or make milk duds out of them. Many great players use them. After playing with the layered tips awhile I will be returning to the Elk Master tips as soon as I get around to changing my tips. I played my best pool with Elk Master tips many years ago. No idea that the tip was the reason but I do think it was a factor. The big thing is that I will have a tip on my shaft that I have faith in.

Hu

srs314

shooterville.com
It's a soft tip that is blue due to having chalk built into it. This tip is often the choice of snooker players.

Harder tips and layered tips have become the most popular over the years but still many swear by their Elk Masters.

kidcuban21

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jose Parica

loves, Elkmaster,
he has this little tool like a vice that will compress the tip and hardens it, this is common among the Filipino's.

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
the blue

srs314 said:
It's a soft tip that is blue due to having chalk built into it. This tip is often the choice of snooker players.

Harder tips and layered tips have become the most popular over the years but still many swear by their Elk Masters.

They definitely seem to have chalk or dye on them now, probably chalk. However I believe the tanning process they use turns the leather a lighter shade of blue anyway. My memory of them from the seventies is that they were blue without being able to rub what appears to be chalk dust off of them. Perhaps someone else with a better memory than mine can chime in.

Tweeten's owns them now, I don't know if that was always true.

Hu

acedotcom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A lot of my friends stick them on their bar cues cuz they make it easier to put jizz on the heavy cue balls.

JE54

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shooting Arts, what do you mean by press them or make milk duds out of them?

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
a quick rundown

JE54 said:
Shooting Arts, what do you mean by press them or make milk duds out of them?

Pressing them simply means compressing them in a vice or something similar. Best results are gained by using a tool that maintains the shape of the tip since they come preshaped and I like to compress them to about 3/4 of original height or a little taller.

Milk duds refers to soaking them in whole milk or cream for up to 24 hours before compressing them. This makes them swell and some people only compress back to the original height, some people take them down a little lower as I do. They can also be soaked in mineral oil and various things, I have only used whole milk or cream and can not comment on how well other things work.

As mentioned above, a lot of information available concerning milk duds if you do a search but I think that it will boil down to pretty much what I say here.

I like a mildly compressed milk dud. It will need shaping a few times in the first weeks or month and then will last for a year or more the way I play. I have used one for several thousand hours of play years ago.

Hu

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As I was hitting balls on my table just now, I was reminded that the tips currently on the newer shafts on my Dishaw my be Elkmasters. Sammy Jones thinks so and, after some thought, so do I.
I was talking to a guy at the local one night about needing tips on the newer shafts. He offered to sell and install two Moori mediums for a great price. He said that they were all he used himself, he bought them by the box, and had two left. I gave him my shafts and he returned some time later and gave me the shafts, tips installed. I didn't pay too much attention to the tips. The shafts themselves horrified me. He had put the tips on by hand, it seems. He had sanded the both shafts several inches from the ferrule. They were unplayable!! I tried working on them myself but didn't accomplish what I wanted, which was completely smooth shafts. I finally had to have two cue smiths work on them before I could play with them again. {apparently, the first one did not seal them well enough and I had to have them done again, at a cost I really couldn't afford}
After playing with both shafts for a while, I came to examine the tips and, lo and behold!! The were not Mooris. They were seemingly blue tinted, single layer tips! They seem to hold shape well, play pretty well, though a bit harder than the Moori mediums I've played with. I haven't confronted the guy who sold\installed the tips, he's a nice guy who I thought, knew enough about tips to know what he had.
If they are, indeed Elkmasters, as Sammy thinks, they seem to play pretty well for me.
Sorry for the long post, as I said, this just occurred to me.

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
Splitting hairs

If they seem harder than Moori mediums they have almost certainly been treated in some manner as a standard Elk Master is considerably softer in my experience. If you like the way they play I think you will be very happy with them over time. I find single layer tips to be more consistent as they are worn down than the layered tips.

Somebody not knowing what they were doing or trying to make a quick buck installing the much cheaper Elk Masters may have done you a favor, at least concerning the tip itself. I haven't seen it all but I have never seen a Moori that looked blue.

Hu

Pushout said:
As I was hitting balls on my table just now, I was reminded that the tips currently on the newer shafts on my Dishaw my be Elkmasters. Sammy Jones thinks so and, after some thought, so do I.
I was talking to a guy at the local one night about needing tips on the newer shafts. He offered to sell and install two Moori mediums for a great price. He said that they were all he used himself, he bought them by the box, and had two left. I gave him my shafts and he returned some time later and gave me the shafts, tips installed. I didn't pay too much attention to the tips. The shafts themselves horrified me. He had put the tips on by hand, it seems. He had sanded the both shafts several inches from the ferrule. They were unplayable!! I tried working on them myself but didn't accomplish what I wanted, which was completely smooth shafts. I finally had to have two cue smiths work on them before I could play with them again. {apparently, the first one did not seal them well enough and I had to have them done again, at a cost I really couldn't afford}
After playing with both shafts for a while, I came to examine the tips and, lo and behold!! The were not Mooris. They were seemingly blue tinted, single layer tips! They seem to hold shape well, play pretty well, though a bit harder than the Moori mediums I've played with. I haven't confronted the guy who sold\installed the tips, he's a nice guy who I thought, knew enough about tips to know what he had.
If they are, indeed Elkmasters, as Sammy thinks, they seem to play pretty well for me.

JE54

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After soaking with the milk for 24 hrs., how long do you wait before compressing?
Untill there completely dry?

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pushout said:

unless i trust the guy i wait and watch while my tips are being installed. i got screwed over once and i want to make sure it doesn't happen again

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
Compress immediately, dry a few days to install

JE54 said:
After soaking with the milk for 24 hrs., how long do you wait before compressing?
Untill there completely dry?

I compress them wet immediately after soaking and leave them under pressure compressed for 12-24 hours, maybe more. Once dry I install them, often straight out of the vice. Many people do things many different ways. I doubt that there is one "best" way of making milk duds. Over compressing them can damage the fiber in the leather so I strongly recommend using something to prevent this even if it is a simple plate with a 9/16" hole drilled in it for the 14mm Elk Masters which are what I usually start with. Putting a few hard spacers in flat vice jaws with the milk duds will do the same thing but it is a little harder to hold everything in place to get started.

A quick measurement of a new Elk Master tip shows it to be .170 thick at the edge and about .240 thick at the crown. A plate between an eighth inch and three sixteenth can be used. I'd favor a 5/32" plate but that would probably be a little harder to find. A 4mm plate might be easier to find and would work well I believe.

Hu

jgpool

Cue ball draw with this?
Silver Member
Elkmaster.

I'm going back also. I have tried a couple of cues with the harder tips and have lost a lot of English, plus I miscue more often. I'm on my way back. I had been using them for 30 yrs or so.

Chi2dxa

Lost over C&D Triangle
Silver Member
These are great tips! I am back to using Milk Duds after going to a Kamui Med. Soft and I am glad to be back. I am now back to run out status. It is amazing how much a tip can influence your game. Milk Duds my friend are the way to go.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well I have heard about these long enough! Anyone near Chicago got a couple elkmaster milk duds they are willing to part with? If so let me know a shipped price for two please.
Thanks,
Dan